Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope I'm posting this in the right place. At some point I hope to upgrade to a SCUT or CUT and replace my X320. Our septic system is a mound type, extending from an existing hill. No issues driving over it with an X320 but a SCUT/CUT is twice the weight or more. It seems rock solid even after a lot of rain- no sinking or other problems other than the &*#^ pocket gophers trying to make a home in it. My question is am I asking for problems driving over it with a bigger tractor? TIA

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
I have a mound system as well. I talked to the guys that installed it and the lateral lines are buried 30" deep. They told me that they drive their skidsteers over these things all the time and didn't why why a 2000# tractor would be any problem. I do stay off of the tank itself since it's only buried about 6" deep.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do stay off of the tank itself since it's only buried about 6" deep.
Almost forgot about the tank itself but I should be o.k- there's 2 1/2' to 3' over ours. With a plug up and a pump failure I've seen enough of our septic tank to last me for a while.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I guess I'm on the flip side of this then. I don't run my 1025r over my septic mound. Much easier to just take the 10 minutes with the push mower than to take the chance. I've gotten mixed information from several installers. Some say no problem, others say don't do it. My neighbors all mow over their septic mounds with their mowing machines. Two X300, one Scag, one Simplicity zero turn, one Craftsman lawn tractor and my next door neighbor with his X728.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Good or bad, I do drive over my septic tank and lateral field with my 4066R. At first I was concerned about the weight, but so far, it has not been a problem. However, I do avoid them during the spring when the ground is soft. I do not know what material the tank is made of. The laterals are plastic.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I had a flat field in Hinton, and drove on it with my 4720 without issue.

I have a mound here - but here a mound is a mound. What I mean by that is that I live on the most flat, boring piece of the entire planet, so the 5' pile of dirt that is our mound, truly is a mound. It's like a zit on the prairie. We don't mow it, cause it's tucked away in a corner, and it's too damn steep even if we wanted to.

-J.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
The only issue with driving on a septic system really is the tank, if an issue at all. The leach field will stand weight with no problem it's the tank that could be a problem. Cement tanks can stand a little weight but not tons. If you have a plastic tank do not drive over that with anything that weighs more than a ton, especially if only 6" below the surface. My X738 for instance no problems. When we installed systems we were always asked how can you tell me not to drive my car over that when you are running your dozer over it? That answer is easy, the weight is spread out with a 15,000 # dozer because of the tracks but if I used my backhoe I would be in the bottom of the tank.. If you know who did the system ask them where they bought the tank and then find out the makeup of the tank. If you have two chambers which you may (pump system) you will not have any issues driving over it; it is supported somewhere in the center third of the tank, (1500 gallon tank) you will not go thru that tank but if you have a one piece tank (which I doubt if new title 5) don't go over a ton.. If you don't know who did the system see your local board of health, they have the records and the drawings of your system,, you will see very quickly what you have in the ground, you could always call the supplier too and find out the crushing weight.. I have never seen a tractor that is mowing ever go thru a system, ever. I would say with certainty you will not have an issue unless it is plastic and it sounds like you already know it is not plastic..(Plastic tanks are not rectangular and flat either that are round in shape to have the support necessary to run over with a lawn mower) Mow away I would say.. Installed systems for 30 years and was title 5 certified. JT

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
I had a flat field in Hinton, and drove on it with my 4720 without issue.

I have a mound here - but here a mound is a mound. What I mean by that is that I live on the most flat, boring piece of the entire planet, so the 5' pile of dirt that is our mound, truly is a mound. It's like a zit on the prairie. We don't mow it, cause it's tucked away in a corner, and it's too damn steep even if we wanted to.

-J.
JER no Honeymoon???

·
Registered
702 Posts
In my world, I never want to HAVE to use the words "septic" and "tractor" in the same sentence unless I'm giving my opinion here.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
In my world, I never want to HAVE to use the words "septic" and "tractor" in the same sentence unless I'm giving my opinion here.
That's a great answer mtrmn!!! Nothing worse than replacing a failed septic or a ruined one. I have seen so many lumber delivery trucks or gravel trucks go thru tanks it isn't funny.. Was great work for me but not so much fun for the homeowner (without a toilet or place to wash up) or the guy getting his truck towed out of a septic tank! Insurance premiums go up pretty fast too the company is now a risk! Never mind the person who told the drivers it was okay to drive in that area.... I am sure they wanted to climb under a rock and hide.. The neighborhood probably didn't like it to much either with that gunpowder smell permeating the air!!!

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
about septic tanks and tractors..... ive driven a 4510 across the septic field without issue. dug into the septic fingers when digging the garden without issue. drove over the septic tank without problem, except for the blasted yellow jackets. got stung 17 times and left the tractor running with pto on, brakes off, for 4 hours until i came back to blast the bug out with gasoline, and then proceeded to get stung AGAIN! got the tractor back.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Summer of '76 when hauling ready-mix, forget what we poured, house was up, so basement footings & walls done, must have been driveway & sidewalk, contractor came over and said he had enough concrete, I could take the little bit back to town and pull "over there to wash up" my chutes. I locked up and raised the chutes, creeped over where he pointed and the steer axle went over this little mound fine, first drive axle started over it then sunk a foot below the surface, crawled out of the hole, rear axle went down into the hole, then up and out. Cleaned up and stowed chutes, took a different route back to the curb, pretty sure the soft spot was a septic tank. And I was almost empty and out of water, 22,000# ten-wheeler. The contractor was long gone, I suspect somebody like Jeff came out and installed a replacement tank before it was a smelly job.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Summer of '76 when hauling ready-mix, forget what we poured, house was up, so basement footings & walls done, must have been driveway & sidewalk, contractor came over and said he had enough concrete, I could take the little bit back to town and pull "over there to wash up" my chutes. I locked up and raised the chutes, creeped over where he pointed and the steer axle went over this little mound fine, first drive axle started over it then sunk a foot below the surface, crawled out of the hole, rear axle went down into the hole, then up and out. Cleaned up and stowed chutes, took a different route back to the curb, pretty sure the soft spot was a septic tank. And I was almost empty and out of water, 22,000# ten-wheeler. The contractor was long gone, I suspect somebody like Jeff came out and installed a replacement tank before it was a smelly job.
The darned contractor should have staked out the tank.. Crazy! Happens quite often on job sites.. Never mind existing homes! And yes smelly jobs!!! We used to have name for those but I cannot print it here, this is a family show! I will say this Powerstroke, those who drive ready mix trucks are good drivers and have big B***S. I Have witnessed them back up the edge of a dig 40 feet tall and right on the edge with the tub swirling around at breakneck speed and the truck swaying back and forth with dirt and rocks falling into the stacked panels below and wow, no way would I do that, never mind a front wheel right off the ground to get inches closer for the pour.. My hats off to you guys.. I always considered backhoe and dozer work dangerous at times but that work is way more dangerous as far as I am concerned and we did crazy stuff too.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Leave tomorrow!!!!

Sent from JerPhone using Tapatalk
Have a great time Jer. Where you headed, Saskatoon? By the way I think that was one of the Guess Who's best songs... Especially live... Now I have the song in my head and it will be playing all day long!!! be careful Jer. Jeff:bigbeer:

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Lake Las Vegas. Sun, pool, drinkies, and ZERO thinking!!!

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Lake Las Vegas. Sun, pool, drinkies, and ZERO thinking!!!

Jer, just bring $100.00 with ya... Or you may not have enough to buy Fuel and rounds when you get back.. Have a blast!
Had to play runnin back to Saskatoon when I got home on the acoustic. Love that tune and it's home grown...

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Sure is!!

Winnipeg has a weird per-capita rate of musician production!!!

Check out "The Sheepdogs". They're from Saskatoon, but are A LOT like BTO/Guess Who/Stampeders reincarnate. The lead guy is actually one of our bridesmaids/my classmates cousin!!!

I need to get my acoustic going when I get home. Music is good for me, and I don't do it nearly enough....

CHEERS!!!

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Sure is!!

Winnipeg has a weird per-capita rate of musician production!!!

Check out "The Sheepdogs". They're from Saskatoon, but are A LOT like BTO/Guess Who/Stampeders reincarnate. The lead guy is actually one of our bridesmaids/my classmates cousin!!!

I need to get my acoustic going when I get home. Music is good for me, and I don't do it nearly enough....

CHEERS!!!

I will Jer.. music is to me the best relaxer there is outside of a late night back property ride on one of my tractors.. and a drink! You haven't sent me wrong yet especially with Dartman!!!! Have fun man.. :bigbeer:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts