Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for more knowledge. Upon reviewing my service interval information in my manual it states that every two years or 2000 hours the fuel injectors need service. I am not sure what that means I may have to look at my repair manual for the details. Has anyone already done this sort of thing?

Also, the manual states that the engine valve clearance needs checking at 1200 hours. I have a ways to go on this one but was also wondering if anyone has performed this service. Any additional info. is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Excellent topic Randy. We are doing the trans fluid/coolant, but I should look into our manual in more depth too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looking for more knowledge. Upon reviewing my service interval information in my manual it states that every two years or 2000 hours the fuel injectors need service. I am not sure what that means I may have to look at my repair manual for the details. Has anyone already done this sort of thing?

Also, the manual states that the engine valve clearance needs checking at 1200 hours. I have a ways to go on this one but was also wondering if anyone has performed this service. Any additional info. is greatly appreciated.

Did you ever find out what "Service Fuel Injectors" means? My 3720 manual says the same thing and I'm coming up on 2 years of ownership too.

Scott

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hey Scott,

Thanks for the reminder, and no I have not come up with the answer yet. I will definitely have to crack open my service manual now. Maybe Kevin can help shed some light on this topic as well. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Injector service

Hey, Guys. The injector service that the manual is referring to is a removal, disassembly and cleaning of the injectors and replacing the nozzles, if necessary. As long as you are not experiencing any performance issues, I would run some injector cleaner/conditioner in the fuel and call it good. If you are having a performance problem or a smoky engine, there is a flush that is run through the engine at full strength. It runs about $50 a can and you have to rig a remote "fuel tank" for the procedure. It takes a 4.5 liter about 15 minutes to burn the entire can so that little Yanmar would probably run for 30 minutes or so.

Reactions: eepete and RandyM

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
My valves are supposed to be checked every 500-hours; but I'm about 170-hours overdue. Too many other things going on, and the rig is running OK that I keep putting it off.

My owner's manual states the same vague thing about injector service.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Valve Adjustment

So Kevin,

What about the valve clearance adjustment, same thing?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Correct valve lash will maximize the longevity of your valve train. It's hard to tell if a diesel is out of adjustment, by ear. So, its not a bad idea to keep them adjusted. On the other hand, some folks run a tractor for years and never check the valves and never have a problem.

sent from my cell via tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just called my dealer and asked about the Fuel Injector service. I use my tractor (3720) about 50 hours a year and right now it has about 80 hours total on it. It'll be 2 years old in October. The Service guy said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". That is a direct quote. He said if there is no performance issues or excessive smoking not to worry about it, especially with the low time that my tractor has on it. I guess this next service for me will just be a coolant flush and an oil change!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts