Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Frontier RC2060. I want to remove the blades and either have them sharpened, or replace them with new ones. What method are you guys using to remove the blades - using a FEL to raise the cutter, placing the cutter on jack stands, or some other method?

I'd appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Scott

·
Registered
771 Posts
I lift my JD 503 rotary cutter up with tractor, put a jack stand under it for safety and use my 3/4 impact to take the nuts off.

After I grind the worst dings out of the cutting edge I regrind the cutting angle.

Then I lay a 2" X 4" long piece of angle iron on the opposite side of the cutting edge for a guide (the flat side of the blade) and run my file over the angle iron to make two 90 degree cutting edges ....while making a flat across the cutting edge of about a 1/16" wide. A knife edge will dull very fast. I hope I explained it so you can understand me.:good2:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I do the same as tackit. I keep it on the three point and use jacks and jackstands to keep it up.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
I lift my JD 503 rotary cutter up with tractor, put a jack stand under it for safety and use my 3/4 impact to take the nuts off.

After I grind the worst dings out of the cutting edge I regrind the cutting angle.

Then I lay a 2" X 4" long piece of angle iron on the opposite side of the cutting edge for a guide (the flat side of the blade) and run my file over the angle iron to make two 90 degree cutting edges ....while making a flat across the cutting edge of about a 1/16" wide. A knife edge will dull very fast. I hope I explained it so you can understand me.:good2:

I realize this is an old thread but I found it interesting on the idea of flattening off the leading edge on the blade on a rotary mower, that makes good sense. I'm curious if anyone recommends the same for a finishing mower or do most guys take them to a knife edge? :unknown:

·
Administrator
21,716 Posts
A finishing mower shouldn't be taking the abuse a rotary cutter does. The blades on a finishing mower should only see grass. The blades on your "hog" see small trees, stumps, rocks, sticks, thick weeds, dirt, grass, garbage, and other debris. Completely different blade design. More of a "wacker" than a shear cut.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I first started this thread, I have not removed the blades from the cutter. I have some jack stands, but they are very short and I can barely fit under them. I do have a set of Artillian Forks and thought maybe that would allow me to get underneath. I haven't tried that yet though. I don't have a grinder, so I would be bringing the blades to a sharpening service. Any thoughts on lifting the cutter with the forks? Is it possible to remove the blades while on the forks? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts