Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't know much about setting up a website. I do know about domain name registry, domain hosting, FTP & that's about it. I'm told that Word Press is what I want to use for the setup & it's free. But it looks like a real challenge to master it.
It looks really confusing to me. I've also looked at this Website Hosting Services, VPS Hosting & Dedicated Servers - HostGator It appears to be a domain hosting site with full service providing the Word Press program & all the tools needed. Of course there is a fee associated with it. And now I'm wondering if I do put up a website will my service provider (in my case Verizon) sky rocket my service bill into the next galaxy.

Anyone care to comment or give me some words of advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I really don't know much about setting up a website. I do know about domain name registry, domain hosting, FTP & that's about it. I'm told that Word Press is what I want to use for the setup & it's free. But it looks like a real challenge to master it.
It looks really confusing to me. I've also looked at this Website Hosting Services, VPS Hosting & Dedicated Servers - HostGator It appears to be a domain hosting site with full service providing the Word Press program & all the tools needed. Of course there is a fee associated with it. And now I'm wondering if I do put up a website will my service provider (in my case Verizon) sky rocket my service bill into the next galaxy.

Anyone care to comment or give me some words of advice. Thanks.
all I can say is that wordpress sucks when it comes to adding and running plugins and such.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Most internet providers restrict you from Hosting a site over a residential service. Some do this with legal ease in the "service agreement", some even implement technical road blocks to make it difficult to do so. Hard to offer advice based on the criteria you gave. In tractor speak, you said: "Hey I want to mow my grass and I know about mower blades. Any suggestions for a mower?"

Need a little more info, because it all depends on how in-depth of a website you want to make. Some of the things that need to be considered are:
  1. Will my website visitors be interacting with a database (looking up parts or products)?
  2. Do I want to be able to send/receive email from my business domain?
  3. Do I want to accept eCommerce (PayPal, credit cards) ?
  4. What level of security do I need, particularly important if doing eCommerce?
  5. How much web traffic do I think I'll get on day 1, day 5, day 30 and beyond?
  6. Are my site visitors downloading or uploading large files?
  7. Will my site viewers accept down time for maintenance or do I need some redundancy?
Plenty of websites with free advice out there on the subject. Here's two:
If you intend to run a business form the website, I strongly urge you to look at some of the more established firms, GoDaddy or NetworkSolutions to name a few.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
As far as providers I can tell you that Host Gator has been a great service for me when I had my website for around 10 years. I still use them for my VoIP service under the name of VOIPO. I might have opened 3-4 tickets in those years and each time I recieved a response within 20 minutes.

I used WordPress for a small site that I made for a local sportsmans club. The nice thing is the integration with your Host Gator service - basically one click and it is installed.

There is a learning curve with Word Press depending how intricate a site you want to make. I kept it simple and found my way through fairly easily. There are tons of add-ons but you don't have to use them - I only used a couple. The documentation for WP is great from them and plenty of other sources on-line. On Amazon there are a bunch of free Kindle books also. Just takes a little reading and experimentatiom to get the hang of it.

The first 3 pages of books at this link are free:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=wordpress&rh=n:283155,k:wordpress&qid=1477423663&sort=price-asc-rank

With your Host Gator account there are a couple other web site creation tools you can install - might be worth the time to also look at them. Not sure but they may have something simpler than WP if that is what you want.

I started out years ago not knowing anything about websites - started out with the book "HTML for Dummies" and went from there.

If I can do it I'm sure you can to.

·
Registered
481 Posts
As far as providers I can tell you that Host Gator has been a great service for me when I had my website for around 10 years. I still use them for my VoIP service under the name of VOIPO. I might have opened 3-4 tickets in those years and each time I recieved a response within 20 minutes.

I used WordPress for a small site that I made for a local sportsmans club. The nice thing is the integration with your Host Gator service - basically one click and it is installed.

There is a learning curve with Word Press depending how intricate a site you want to make. I kept it simple and found my way through fairly easily. There are tons of add-ons but you don't have to use them - I only used a couple. The documentation for WP is great from them and plenty of other sources on-line. On Amazon there are a bunch of free Kindle books also. Just takes a little reading and experimentatiom to get the hang of it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=wordpress&rh=n:283155,k:wordpress&qid=1477423663&sort=price-asc-rank

With your Host Gator account there are a couple other web site creation tools you can install - might be worth the time to also look at them. Not sure but they may have something simpler than WP if that is what you want.

I started out years ago not knowing anything about websites - started out with the book "HTML for Dummies" and went from there.

Have you tried Google Sites? It is a very simple way to set up a web site for free. But if you require more sophistication it may not be for you.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
Have you tried Google Sites? It is a very simple way to set up a web site for free. But if you require more sophistication it may not be for you.

I've gotten away from having my own site a couple years ago. It was mainly for publication of my weather data from my weather station but now found uploading my data to Weather Underground is super easy and they do the rest. Actually mich more comprehensive reports than I could do myself.

The sportsmens club decided to just have a facebook site after many years.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
wordpress.org will host your site for free, AND it will be done using their software. There are some limitations on what you can do in terms of modifying the software and such and many themes will cost you money.

The first thing you need to dig into and understand is whether you're truly interested in create a WEBSITE, or if you're more interested in publishing some content. Web sites of today are predominantly focused on CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) to control page layout and general formatting so that all pages look essentially the same and you get to focus solely on the content that each page holds. If you are truly focused on creating the "look and feel" of the site, then it's really all about modifying the CSS to make the content look the way you prefer. Once the CSS is done, however, you can then focus on the content.

Do a google search for free css themes and you'll get a good idea of what's out there for layout options and you could potentially start there. If you have some technical skills, you might want to get yourself a linux distro and set up a small server at your home with apache2 and use that to start working on the CSS. From there, you can move on to which CMS (Content Management System) you want to use to be able to manage and publish content. I've typically done my sites in MODx, and most CMS solutions will require that you're also running a database system (maria / mysql or postgres).

·
Registered
592 Posts
I believe you mean wordpress.com. Wordpress.org is where you download the software.

Whatever you do, make sure you are prepared to patch and maintain the system. I know some providers leave it to you to keep up to date, and if you don't it becomes a real haven for various nonsense.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I believe you mean wordpress.com. Wordpress.org is where you download the software.

Whatever you do, make sure you are prepared to patch and maintain the system. I know some providers leave it to you to keep up to date, and if you don't it becomes a real haven for various nonsense.
Yes... I flipped them in my mind (as I always do). Thanks for correcting that.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most internet providers restrict you from Hosting a site over a residential service. Some do this with legal ease in the "service agreement", some even implement technical road blocks to make it difficult to do so. Hard to offer advice based on the criteria you gave. In tractor speak, you said: "Hey I want to mow my grass and I know about mower blades. Any suggestions for a mower?"

Need a little more info, because it all depends on how in-depth of a website you want to make. Some of the things that need to be considered are:
  1. Will my website visitors be interacting with a database (looking up parts or products)?
  2. Do I want to be able to send/receive email from my business domain?
  3. Do I want to accept eCommerce (PayPal, credit cards) ?
  4. What level of security do I need, particularly important if doing eCommerce?
  5. How much web traffic do I think I'll get on day 1, day 5, day 30 and beyond?
  6. Are my site visitors downloading or uploading large files?
  7. Will my site viewers accept down time for maintenance or do I need some redundancy?
Plenty of websites with free advice out there on the subject. Here's two:
If you intend to run a business form the website, I strongly urge you to look at some of the more established firms, GoDaddy or NetworkSolutions to name a few.
I appreciate your response to my post, but your questions are way ahead of my knowledge at this point. The one thing I don't understand here is the "Restriction" internet providers may place on Hosting. If I understand you correctly, that would lead to a lot of problems for people like me, or kids, or families, who want to have a website. On the other hand I can see hosting restrictions if someone were to put up fraudulent or indecent sites or content.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for your comments here. Found it useful. For now, I think Host Gator would fill my needs until I get some experience it this stuff. Then maybe I can experiment with it a little deeper. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Thanks for your comments here. Found it useful. For now, I think Host Gator would fill my needs until I get some experience it this stuff. Then maybe I can experiment with it a little deeper. Thanks.
What is the purpose of the website?

I would imagine purpose would drive the selection of website tools

You don't want to mow a 20 acre field with a push mower,,,
and you don't want to mow a Philadelphia brownstone postage stamp lawn with a 12' flail mower.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I use Inmotion Hosting (Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Hosting, Reseller Hosting | InMotion Hosting) for the web sites that I have developed. They host your web site and can create your domain registration on their web site. They are very reasonable and are one of the biggest around. You will want to use a hosting service like this for your site as there is no traffic to your location to satisfy the concern you had. I keep mine very simple (kiss system) and use Adobe CS3 to create web pages, then upload them to the appropriate web site. Later versions of Adobe (CS4 and later) insist on using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), but I do not like them, so I stayed with the CS3 version. With CS3, creating a web page is as simple as creating a Word document, right down to using things like Bold, font size, left, center, or right justification, etc. You can insert images also. I am a firm believer that people do not want to have to navigate through a complicated and busy web site. An example of that would be CNN - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos.

You can have a nice looking web site without having to make it complicated or busy. Check out Potter Hometown Realty Carrollton MO for a simple site that I developed. Simple html without any CSS needed. If I can be of any help for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Dave

·
Registered
572 Posts
I appreciate your response to my post, but your questions are way ahead of my knowledge at this point. The one thing I don't understand here is the "Restriction" internet providers may place on Hosting. If I understand you correctly, that would lead to a lot of problems for people like me, or kids, or families, who want to have a website. On the other hand I can see hosting restrictions if someone were to put up fraudulent or indecent sites or content.
Sorry about that, was trying to give a quick answer while at work and failed miserably. Let me backup a bit. Is the proposed web site just for fun, or do you plan to run a business?

WARNING. More technical mumbo jumbo you may not care to read.

There are essentially three ways to get your own website on the internet:
  1. Use a web hosting service, where they own the hardware & software, and you tweak your web content as you see fit and the hosting service allows. There are also companies out there that will help you develop your web pages at an additional cost.)
  2. Buy a the hardware and software and and set it up yourself in leased rack space in a Data Center or optionally at your place of business on a business internet connection.
  3. Buy a the hardware and software and deploy it at home using your personal internet connection. (Or load it on your personal MAC or Windows PC - possible, but strongly not recommended)
If your going to use option 1 or 2: The actual web server exists elsewhere and does not fall into "the restriction" I mentioned. You're free to log in and modify your web site from your home.

If you're leaning on option 3:
Many home/personal Internet providers block or monitor specific "ports" to prevent you from spamming email. Other ports can be blocked in an attempt to prevent you from running a business on a personal connection rather than a business connection. Here's a list of what Comcast home service blocks: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-blocked-ports/.

To understand ports on an internet connection, the analogy I use is to think of your inbound internet connection as a radio, and you can tune it to a specific channel... In this analogy, the Internet connection is the radio, and the port is a radio channel. Different applications use different ports. Here's more on the various ports and what they are commonly used for: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

There are ways around the port blocking, but there is a financial cost to circumvent it, as well as potentially being turned off for violating their rules.

Due to the up front costs, technical complexity and time spent maintaining it, the casual user rarely goes for options 2 & 3. In addition, doing this (hosting a site mentioned in option 3) at home on your personal computer is a huge security nightmare. You're essentially letting even more unknown people from around the world into your home and your PC/MAC.

Using a hosting service is by far the easiest and least expensive, particularly if it's just for fun.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Using a hosting service is by far the easiest and least expensive, particularly if it's just for fun.
OK,,, one thing not mentioned,,,
How much should be spent a year for a decent website??

I know that is a "loaded" question,,, but,,
the little I have done has been free stuff from my daughter, and SIL,,,

My daughter created

http://www.sweetmk.com/

a website I play on when I am bored on a cold winter day!! :mocking:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts

My daughter created

Yes, it's a loaded question with no specific answer.

Is the website for fun? For advertising? Is it a functional part of the business (takes orders or similar)? Does it do work that an employee would otherwise do? You have to take a lot of things into account in order to understand the _VALUE_ of the site, and only then can you price a price tag on it.

·
Registered
572 Posts

My daughter created

If it's just for fun, spend what ever your comfortable with.

If it's part of your business marketing stategy, what's in your marketing budget that your willing to spend towards this potential revenue stream?

There's more to it than just the web site itself. You can have the best looking website in the world, but if no one visits you've wasted time and money. Most people doing a web search only go part way down the results screen, click one of the result links or try a new search. For example, lets hypothetically say I sell CAD plans for custom machinery... If a potential customer goes to google and types "plans for building a backhoe", does my site come up? Is it on the first page? Is it in the top half of the first page?

If the answer to the above questions is no, then did I loose a potential customer? How many customers have I lost and what's it going to take to not loose another? This is where I would go right back to google and type "web presence management".

Might be someone out there that can help me. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry about that, was trying to give a quick answer while at work and failed miserably. Let me backup a bit. Is the proposed web site just for fun, or do you plan to run a business?

WARNING. More technical mumbo jumbo you may not care to read.

There are essentially three ways to get your own website on the internet:
  1. Use a web hosting service, where they own the hardware & software, and you tweak your web content as you see fit and the hosting service allows. There are also companies out there that will help you develop your web pages at an additional cost.)
  2. Buy a the hardware and software and and set it up yourself in leased rack space in a Data Center or optionally at your place of business on a business internet connection.
  3. Buy a the hardware and software and deploy it at home using your personal internet connection. (Or load it on your personal MAC or Windows PC - possible, but strongly not recommended)
If your going to use option 1 or 2: The actual web server exists elsewhere and does not fall into "the restriction" I mentioned. You're free to log in and modify your web site from your home.

If you're leaning on option 3:
Many home/personal Internet providers block or monitor specific "ports" to prevent you from spamming email. Other ports can be blocked in an attempt to prevent you from running a business on a personal connection rather than a business connection. Here's a list of what Comcast home service blocks: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/list-of-blocked-ports/.

To understand ports on an internet connection, the analogy I use is to think of your inbound internet connection as a radio, and you can tune it to a specific channel... In this analogy, the Internet connection is the radio, and the port is a radio channel. Different applications use different ports. Here's more on the various ports and what they are commonly used for: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

There are ways around the port blocking, but there is a financial cost to circumvent it, as well as potentially being turned off for violating their rules.

Due to the up front costs, technical complexity and time spent maintaining it, the casual user rarely goes for options 2 & 3. In addition, doing this (hosting a site mentioned in option 3) at home on your personal computer is a huge security nightmare. You're essentially letting even more unknown people from around the world into your home and your PC/MAC.

Hi- If I do anything it will be with a hosting Company. I found a Domain Registry company I would like to get my website name registered with. So that's not a problem. I started to look at this Hosting Co. called Host Gator. I found a tutorial for them on YouTube & I thought it would be good for me. They will provide me with Word Press which right now appears to be very popular.

I want to do a simple site & maybe also have a bog on it? Also, I DO own a V Bulletin program. So I can incorporate that into my website. I also want to use the site to do some selling of odd ball stuff (maybe). I'm really not sure of what I want in the site or it's content, etc. I Know this sounds screwy, but sometimes you get an idea in mind & just go with it & see where it leads to. I've done things in my life just with an idea & have had varying levels of success with my mental wonderings. I don't know if that makes any sense to you. I sometimes think that with many things, we tend to go too concerned & bogged down in all the nitty gritty technical junk.

Lastly, about 5 years ago, I fooled around with that File Transfer Protocol or what's known as FTP. Found a Free program for it.
So I have been messing around with some of this stuff a few years ago. But everything just keeps changing. I also at one time did a free download of Word Press, but could not figure it out & I gave up on it because I really had no use or interest at the time.

As you can see, I have no clear vision or plan. I guess I'm just like the fools who want to be President, but can't tell you why.

:lolol:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Be aware that any hosting company that "provides" you with any particular CMS (like WordPress) is likely never going to offer the most current version which will have all of the security holes closed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts