Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
If this were my set up........... I would do this.

Wade out in the pond and set up a ring of snow fence about 4' in diameter. Anchor to a couple steel posts and wrap screen door screen around the fence.

This should provide a big enough area to keep from starving your intake with trash.

Have a 2nd piece of screen door screen handy to change out the first one that will eventually need cleaned.

Put enough 2 liter soda bottles on the suction screen so it only rides about 3" under water. Do NOT put screen on the intake cage.

You would be surprised at amount of minnows, sticks, and such that a pump is capable of moving and keep running.
But I never tried to use yard sprinklers. Just open ditch irrigation.

Good luck

·
Registered
892 Posts
Does the open ditch irrigation seem to work? That is effectively what I am doing now. The plants seem to be doing okay, but I have to make a few modifications to my furrows to make it more efficient. I didn't set the garden up with this method in mind, but at least everything is in rows so I can deal with it.
Yes. Seemed to work fine. I didn't have "hills" per say to plant in. Just more depression between rows of plants than flat ground.

Took a certain amount of hand shoveling to keep things going, and going the way I wanted it to. But worth it.

If I were to do it over again, I would plow hills close together, too close to cultivate with my tractor maybe, but higher and better suited to free running water.

I watered early in the am.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.