Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in a process of acquire a new John Deere 1025R TLB. Based on dealer quote, there are $750 setup charge & $450 freight charge. Did you pay for setup and freight charges? How much did you pay?

Can I setup the equipment myself?

Greatly appreciate for additional info.

Best regards,

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think the freight charge is new, it was part of my quote, it was not on my last tractors that I recall. My freight was $575 on a 4066R. I am not sure if it’s the delivery of the tractor to the dealer, all options sent to the dealer, or both combined. Anyways, it’s there.

Set up charges are valid, some dealers figure it in the price, others line item it. It’s a valid cost. My dealer does nice work and it’s worth it to me. Some things get complex.

Enjoy your new tractor!

John Deere 4066R

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I've never paid freight charges on any John Deere equipment I've purchased. I always perform my own new equipment setup. Often dealers just employ some unskilled or semi-skilled help to perform new equipment setups. The numerous posts here about mower decks being improperly setup speak to that. I've only purchased from one dealer, but if DIY setup wasn't something they'd go along with, I'd go somewhere else. I just pick my implements and accessories up and they're still on the shipping pallet.

Freight is an expense and ultimately, you'll pay for it whether it is built into the price or a separate line item. You just don't want to pay for it twice.

If this dealer was pulling a new car dealership trick and charging you a processing and/or document fee, I'd be walking out the door...and have with a salesman chasing me.

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
The Deere "Build Your Own" site used to show that freight and setup fees were all included when you configured a machine. At some point over the last year they've changed the wording and now everything says "*Manufacturer's suggested price. Taxes, freight, setup, and delivery not included.".

So it looks like charging for freight and setup is going to become the norm if it isn't already. Whether or not dealers will eat those costs to be able to make sales will be interesting to see.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Setup charge

I think $750 setup charge is a lot of money.

This is from John Deere website if you purchase online. Setup Included | John Deere US

INCLUDED IN SETUP:*
Remove the product from the environmentally friendly John Deere Envirocrate™ (a reusable steel shipping crate that reduces waste).
Connect and fully charge the battery to maximize battery life and performance.
Proper inflation of all tires to improve the life and performance of the tires.
Check and add fluids as needed to extend the life of the engine and transmission.
Examine and adjust belts as needed to reduce wear and extend belt life.
Start and test the engine for proper performance.
Test all safety systems, including neutral start and RIO (Reverse Implement Option).
Enclose a copy of the Owner's Manual.
Specific to mowers:
Proper adjustment of mower deck position to improve cut quality.
Examine the mower blades for sharpness.
Engage the mower deck and check for proper operation.
* Setup does not include delivery. Setup Included only applies to Buy Online purchases.

I can do all of the above myself. If it is $100 for these tasks, I would think it is reasonable, but not $750.

I think John Deere will ship the tractor to local John Deere dealer and you can pick it up there.

·
Registered
992 Posts

This is from John Deere website if you purchase online. Setup Included | John Deere US

Remove the product from the environmentally friendly John Deere Envirocrate™ (a reusable steel shipping crate that reduces waste).
Check and add fluids as needed to extend the life of the engine and transmission.
Test all safety systems, including neutral start and RIO (Reverse Implement Option).
Specific to mowers:
* Setup does not include delivery. Setup Included only applies to Buy Online purchases.

I can do all of the above myself. If it is $100 for these tasks, I would think it is reasonable, but not $750.

I think John Deere will ship the tractor to local John Deere dealer and you can pick it up there.
I want my selling dealer to make enough money from my purchase that they want to help me when I walk in.

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts

Specific to mowers:

Unfortunately, Deere won't let you "Buy online" for a full TLB. As soon as you add any implement to the base machine their configuration tool sends your info off to a dealer for a quote. That list of what happens during setup also appears to target riding mowers. I don't think the bigger equipment is quite that simple.

I'm not sure that matters much though. If you buy online you're paying full MSRP. Typically, people have been getting at least 10% off of MSRP in their price quotes from dealers. But maybe this shift in fees explains why more people are suddenly getting 20% off of MSRP for quotes. I suspect that dealers were just burying these setup fees in their markup on equipment. Now that they are identifying the setup fees as a separate line item, they can offer better "deals" on the pricing of the equipment itself.

A 1025R with FILB is ~$29,500 MSRP at a minimum. That's what you'd pay if you bought online. Even if you pay the $750 setup fee, a 10% dealer discount would still end up costing you over $2,000 less.

I'm not a fan of the fees either but if the math works out, it is what it is...

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just bought a new 1025r TLB during the drive green weekend mid May. There was no setup fee or freight charge. These dealers have so many of these machines setting on the lot . Dealing was not that hard to do. Push for what you want and get it. If one dealer will not budge find another. Get a price including everything. Then compare . The closest dealer might not be the best. Remember you have the money and they want it, make them work for it. Except nothing less. Also any dealer will service or sell you parts, that’s where the real money is.

·
Premium Member
7,890 Posts
$750 is a pretty healthy setup fee.

What all are you getting with the tractor?

I want my selling dealer to make enough money from my purchase that they want to help me when I walk in.
I want that too. But I'm not providing the wheelbarrow for them to haul my money away with either. :laugh:
They wouldn't need but a small parts bag to carry mine. :lol:

Extra fee's are always there, sometimes they are visible, sometimes not. When shopping, I ask for the "out the door" price.

If the quote doesn't say so, I have the sales person add "Out the Door Price". It works pretty good as an integrity check as well.

Every now and then someone will try and sneak in a fee afterwards and I always remind them my quote was supposed to be out the door, honor it or I'll go out the door with my money.

It is the only way I have found to compare the cost of things like vehicles, trailers, tractors, etc.

Remember when this used to be known as "The bottom line"? Well somewhere they started sneaking in more lines.

Depending on your circumstances, "In my driveway" may be a better quote to get.

·
Premium Member
7,890 Posts
I am in a process of acquire a new John Deere 1025R TLB. Based on dealer quote, there are $750 setup charge & $450 freight charge. Did you pay for setup and freight charges? How much did you pay?

Best regards,
Oops, just went back and re-read your post....TLB, Duh. :lol:

I saw my backhoe when it came in. Lots of pieces. The loader was already on the tractor, but someone had to put it on there.

I've done some setup my self and others I have left for the pro's to do.

When I bought my 2210 the loader had to be ordered. The salesman actually suggested that I do the setup to help save me some $. When the loader arrived they loaded it on my trailer so that I could pull the tractor up to it.

I really don't know what I paid for setup and freight for my 3039R as I didn't get that deep in the numbers. The total price was good and was less than my budget.

·
Registered
90 Posts
What’s the TOTAL price?

As previously mentioned - your going to pay freight/set up somewhere in the total - sometimes it’s broken out line by line - others not.

Bottom line is all that matters. Just like documentation fees. Shop by total price - plenty of these units on lots and dealers can deliver.

Too many people get caught up in these line items and fail to see big picture. Some places price low then make up for the minimal profit by charging for add on’s. If the bottom line is less than at the dealer “including everything” - its still cheaper.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I know your talking about a 1025r but the X590 I just bought there's nothing on the invoice saying freight or setup. Looking at what they had to do to put the framework for the tiller on there was about a $100 to do the work which was surprising because they had to remove the fender pan.

·
Registered
12,501 Posts
$750 is a pretty healthy setup fee.

What all are you getting with the tractor?

They wouldn't need but a small parts bag to carry mine. :lol:

Extra fee's are always there, sometimes they are visible, sometimes not. When shopping, I ask for the "out the door" price.

Remember when this used to be known as "The bottom line"? Well somewhere they started sneaking in more lines.
I've been following this and have thought the same thing. I think it's safe to say that somewhere somehow the fees have almost always been there, but Deere has decided to show them. Much like a 401K, when they changed the laws a few years ago that forces banks/investment firms to show their fees. Or over the last 20 years or so almost everything that we buy in stores has been marked up to cover credit card fees that are charged to the store. Not saying this is a law, just pointing out that hidden fees are in almost everything that we buy each and every day.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Best regards,
Freight and setup included in the price when I bought mine. You will pay for it whether the cost is itemized or included in the total.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've been following this and have thought the same thing. I think it's safe to say that somewhere somehow the fees have almost always been there, but Deere has decided to show them. Much like a 401K, when they changed the laws a few years ago that forces banks/investment firms to show their fees. Or over the last 20 years or so almost everything that we buy in stores has been marked up to cover credit card fees that are charged to the store. Not saying this is a law, just pointing out that hidden fees are in almost everything that we buy each and every day.
maybe because they want to advertise a lower price . . . like many car dealers.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Believe me, they would already be gone if they were not making enough money. When you walk into the dealership look around. Most are a very busy well run place. A dealer balances all aspects , parts, new sales , service and used sales ect to produce a profit. That is the very nature of a business. I work hard for my money, I expect my dealership to do the same. Earn my business with value, honesty, service and trust.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts