Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ken,

One of your customers, (me), is an idiot and lost a pin in a rock pile that was dumped over a ledge. :banghead:

1-2 SPS.JPG

I need to order some other stuff and was going to order a few extra pins. Didn't see it listed, so I thought I would check. Do you sell pins separately?

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
No Tom, sorry. We don't have the pins by themselves-and neither does our supplier.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
I checked the Internet. A quick couple of searches didn't find them for sale. That's strange.

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
I checked the Internet. A quick couple of searches didn't find them for sale. That's strange.
I don't see it as "strange" at all.

We sell the entire shackle assembly for only $6.00, it would not be worth our time or effort to stock only the pin (if it was available) for the rare occasion that someone would only need the pin-I mean if someone looses the pin, MOST times the shackle body is lost too.

·
Registered
21,121 Posts

We sell the entire shackle assembly for only $6.00, it would not be worth our time or effort to stock only the pin (if it was available) for the rare occasion that someone would only need the pin-I mean if someone looses the pin, MOST times the shackle body is lost too.
Even if the pin were available it would likely be much more money than the $6 for the shackle.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you

Would not a hardened bolt work?
Technically yes, but I'm attaching and removing frequently, so the flattened end allows quick tightening with no tools. Otherwise i'm afraid, a wrench would be over the ledge too.
Also, Ken doesn't sell the bolts. :)

Duly noted that I am the exception to yet another rule. :lol: Totally understand the price point issue on the pins, just figured I'd ask first. I'll order up a couple more sets and consider my current shackle body a spare. :mocking:

Thanks for the quick reply. The order is in.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts

I thought it was strange from the standpoint of they are a mass produced item and that screw pin is likely made for some companies that don't produce them themselves. You're correct that there likely isn't much call for them.

·
Premium Member
10,653 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
21,121 Posts
I've been thinking about this a bit.

Many years ago I lost a shackle in the woods - it obviously came loose and fell off while not using it. I like to keep one on my drawbar at all times since this it the only way I will pull a tree or the like but since loosing one I leave it off.

Now I am not too familiar woth using LocTite - would it be wrong to use a dab so it would stay put? I'd really like to keep one on my drawbar at all times.

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
I would use a piece of bailing wire. That way you can remove it when needed without tools in the field.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts

Many years ago I lost a shackle in the woods - it obviously came loose and fell off while not using it. I like to keep one on my drawbar at all times since this it the only way I will pull a tree or the like but since loosing one I leave it off.

Now I am not too familiar woth using LocTite - would it be wrong to use a dab so it would stay put? I'd really like to keep one on my drawbar at all times.
I would use a piece of bailing wire. That way you can remove it when needed without tools in the field.

Cable/zip ties are great for this too, but maybe not as durable as bailing wire.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts

If you want to leave a shackle attached, a "bolt type" shackle is best.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bolt+type+shackle+pictures&espv=2&biw=1244&bih=715&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwilzOrHh_nOAhVHOSYKHYRCBpUQsAQIGw

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ken,

One of your customers, (me), is an idiot and lost a pin in a rock pile that was dumped over a ledge. :banghead:

I need to order some other stuff and was going to order a few extra pins. Didn't see it listed, so I thought I would check. Do you sell pins separately?
BTAT-

I lost one years ago on my property, before it was my property, while dragging some wood/brush to the fire pit area. This was during the years that I lived/worked overseas and only got to see the property once or twice annually. Lo and behold, one day I was riding my 4-wheeler up to the "Loop Trail", and there the pin was, laying shiny side up on the right side of the trail fork. I've not lost it since; Sometimes I'm just too lucky for my own good...

Brian

·
Registered
21,121 Posts
Cable/zip ties are great for this too, but maybe not as durable as bailing wire.
I thought about that when walking out to the barn to get the shackle and wire. I still might do that as I see the possibility of stabbing myself with a wire end unless I really tuck it in. But if I really tuck it in I won't be able to get it off by hand if need be in the field. But knowing my luck with a cable tie the day I need to remove it I won't have my pocket knife on me. I hate having anything in my pockets.....

Oh well - on only 6 acres it's never too much of a walk back to the barn.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts