Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 25 years ago I planted four Shademaster locusts. They are a seedless, thornless variety; not the problematic black or honey locust.

They have been Ideal shade trees, But this fall we noticed locust tree shoots springing up in the yard from one of them. They are coming from the roots rather than seeds. I'm wondering if these trees revert to the wild type over time and start sending up shoots like black locusts, or is this a temporary survival of the species response to the drought that we have had in MD this fall.

Of the four that I planted, only one is doing this. Has anybody had problems with the Shademaster locust?

I hate to lose the shade, but It is still small enough for me to cut down if necessary. If I let it go for another year or two, it will get bigger and I'll get older....

Advice?

·
Registered
169 Posts
locust shoots

I had one of those seedless , no thorn locusts in my yard , it was a large mature tree when I bought this property
nearly 20 years ago. It sent shoots up every year , I just mowed them off with the grass. I had it taken down
this summer because it was getting old and storm damaged and dropping large branches and limbs.

Those small shoots in the yard didn't bother me , but I didn't like mowing under those "widow makers".

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
It would seem to me that a tree that randomly starts sending up shoots from roots, especially compared to its neighbors, is a tree getting ready to die. It’s sensing some issue-trauma-etc. something that is making it try to survive and that it needs to be removed before it falls victim to its ailment and is nothing more than standing fire wood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts