Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of my new 1025R w/cab today. Every time the engine is shut down, the front of the tractor shakes really hard and rattles. I asked the JD rep about it and he said 'they all do that'. This is the smallest diesel I have ever had, my larger New Holland never did that.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
463 Posts
It is normal for these small Yanmar diesels.
I had to get over it myself.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,482 Posts
It is normal for these small Yanmar diesels.
I had to get over it myself.
Yup! This!

Still hard to watch after 300+ hours.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Ya between that & the little puff of smoke on start up when cold, all normal.

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,429 Posts
This is one of the reasons why it's so important to keep an eye on things and check for items which work themselves loose. This shaking, while a function of the small 3 cylinder diesel and the high RPM's at idle when the fuel supply is stopped, loosens items and is hard on everything from batteries to old style light bulbs.........

Also, check under the hood from time to time as things will work loose from this shaking. It used to be the air cleaner assembly, mounted to the top of the engine for years 2013 -2017 (and some early 2018's......) would add to the "violence" of the shaking, due to its weight and position on top of the engine. Broken mounting straps, broken mounting plates and finally, cracked engine component covers led to metal ingestion and engine destruction.

This problem was largely resolved when the air cleaner assembly was moved to the radiator core support mount, but still check other things, as this shaking tends to loosen up parts over time........

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,429 Posts
I just took delivery of my new 1025R w/cab today.
Welcome to GTT ! You are going to love the cab, especially in cold and inclement weather months. If you have any questions about the cab / machine, don't hesitate to ask. Feel free to post a thread, or search the existing threads as there has been a lot covered with the machine and Mauser cab combination. You can also send members a "Conversation", which is a private discussion not shown publically on the site.

Make sure to NOT raise the FEL with the front cab window open.......At the max lift height of the FEL, the window can and most likely will be destroyed by contact with the loader position rod ................read this thread.......

I really enjoy the machine and the cab is a big part of it. Even in the summer, not having to sit in the sun when working outside, and especially for the last few weeks while I have been working on the pavement repairs, being on the pavement is even warmer and without any shade. This cab offers a respite from the direct heat even without A/C, by getting out of the direct sun........

You may want to consider adding a step, as well. Here is a link to the best cab step on the market, from an outstanding supplier who is integral to GTT.....The step listing used to show it on a GREAT looking tractor (mine...), but I see those photos are no longer on the website.....Oh well.................You still will find the step extremely handy and helpful. Plus Kenny is a source of many great enhancements to your new machine. I strongly encourage you to buy anything you need from Kenny as the quality is superb, the service is outstanding and the entire process is as good as it gets.........

·
Premium Member
8,739 Posts
Motor mounts are almost nonexistent and there’s a lot of pressure release from the pistons during shutdown. Combined with the thin plastic body and moving parts it’s normal to shake rattle and roll. I store my tractor in the third bay of my garage and when I start it the bucket rattles on the floor causing quite the racket. This all shows how a small diesel motor makes that thing work. It’s an excited little 3 cylinder that shows you who’s running the show

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
This is normal and a result of the high compression ratio associated with diesal engines. Larger engines tend to have more moving mass which eliminates most of the shudder.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
You would notice the same shaking if the idle was too slow. Open the hood and watch the engine at the lowest idle setting. Then watch it smooth out as you increase rpms. I think being 3 cylinders makes it less balanced than an engine with an even number of cylinders.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I read from someone who turned their 1025R's idle speed down that the reason for it being so high is that at lower speeds the engine/driveshaft combo tries to shake itself apart. The guy ended up turning his idle back up to factory spec because of this.

So no it doesn't shake like that on shutdown due to the high idle, it does it because below that speed is the resonant frequency of one or more rotating components. And yeah it's normal. Mine's done it since day one. I noticed it on the tractor I demo'd at the dealer too, didn't say anything then either cause I figured it's normal.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Motor mounts are almost nonexistent and there’s a lot of pressure release from the pistons during shutdown. Combined with the thin plastic body and moving parts it’s normal to shake rattle and roll. I store my tractor in the third bay of my garage and when I start it the bucket rattles on the floor causing quite the racket. This all shows how a small diesel motor makes that thing work. It’s an excited little 3 cylinder that shows you who’s running the show
I would argue the rubber-isolated motor mounts ARE the cause of the shaking. The older small diesel JDs did not have the engines shake like a paint mixer because the engines were bolted solid to the frame and transmission.

·
Premium Member
16,942 Posts
Yep, it is normal, the Kubota I had before my JD was worse.
Yep. My brother's Kioti SCUT shakes the same way at shutdown.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
I read from someone who turned their 1025R's idle speed down that the reason for it being so high is that at lower speeds the engine/driveshaft combo tries to shake itself apart. The guy ended up turning his idle back up to factory spec because of this.

So no it doesn't shake like that on shutdown due to the high idle, it does it because below that speed is the resonant frequency of one or more rotating components. And yeah it's normal. Mine's done it since day one. I noticed it on the tractor I demo'd at the dealer too, didn't say anything then either cause I figured it's normal.
Not the case. The rpms are held high at idle in order to meet EPA requirements. This eliminates the need for additional parts that will raise the cost of the tractor(s).

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Not the case. The rpms are held high at idle in order to meet EPA requirements. This eliminates the need for additional parts that will raise the cost of the tractor(s).
Interesting. I'm curious where you got this info. I am of the understanding that there is a break in tier 4 emission requirements at the 25 HP level, where the allowable emission levels for said engines are slightly higher than more powerful engines thus negating the need for any DPF/SCR junk.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Source?

I tend to agree with the higher idle to avoid shakiness. At anything less than 1300, it shakes uncontrollably.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.