Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, a disclaimer. I am working on a 100 year old house. There are no permits or inspections. The code police can please move on.

A few of you have mentioned using SharkBite plumbing fittings and seemed very happy if not overjoyed with them.

I have 2 water lines I need to tap for relocating my bathroom sink. I have easy access to the lines.

One line is 1/2” copper - the other is 3/4” CPVC. The CPVC line was installed when we were doing a plumbing project when we first bought the house. My plan is to continue up to the new sink location with CPVC since I have lots of pipe and fittings.

So it seems simple enough - use a 3/4” x 1/2” SharkBite tee and a 1/2” SharkBite tee to tap off from the water lines. Then run 1/2” CPVC up to the sink location to straight stops.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-3-4-in-Push-to-Connect-x-3-4-in-Push-to-Connect-x-1-2-in-dia-Reducing-Tee-Push-Fitting/1000182613

DA66277A-5FCD-43BA-A5AE-A7D1318B5742.jpeg

I’ve read the installation guide. It just seems too simple to me - simply push the pipe into the fitting - is that really it?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have used the sharkbites in the past as well. Just make sure you push hard into the connector and truely seat the pipe into it. It will seem seated and then wiggle it a bit and push some more to make sure its all the way in. I acually bought the removal tools and an extra connector for trial and error to see how it fit before actually using the ones for the actual connections. Also make sure the pipes are very straight cuts and very clean on the end(no burs).

Just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
IMHO... shark bite fittings are fine for temporary repairs or configurations but I don't like to use them long term.

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
Stan, make sure you clean the pipes as much as possible too. Especially the copper. The cleaner the better for the Sharkbites

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
Stan, make sure you clean the pipes as much as possible too. Especially the copper. The cleaner the better for the Sharkbites
That is good advice for any plumbing work. Especially soldering.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with fjjd18. Sharkbite fittings work well, especially for your use.
Definitely get a 'U' shaped removal tool for each pipe size used (pretty cheap) and account for length of pipe going into fitting.
This type of fitting won't hold as much pressure as a glued or soldered fitting, but if you have enough pressure to push off the sharkbite, you probably have much bigger problems in the piping.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
I’ve read the installation guide. It just seems too simple to me - simply push the pipe into the fitting - is that really it?
Yup. They're sweet.

There is also another manufacturer, Watts, marketed under the name Push-N-Go, I believe. I like them better. The body is all plastic vs. Sharkbite's brass body. That part doesn't matter to me, but the Watts is easier to remove. Used them for years....general plumbing, ice makers, water filters, etc. They come in all different sizes.

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
FWIW...I installed some Watts ones over 15 yrs ago that are still in use today. Take it as you may.

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all!

Great idea of doing a test fit a couple times - have plenty of scrap pieces - will be getting the simple removal tool also.

And properly cleaned deburred pipe ends - important just like when soldering.

After reviewing my plans, I will only need the one 1/2" tee for the copper. This will work well for me. While I used to solder all the time, it's been a long time.....this should make it simple for me.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
I've been using SharkBites for 12+ years. I love the things.
Stan, go with PEX, old CPVC gets brittle with age.
PEX in 5ft sections -- 1/2" under $2, 3/4" under $4
As someone else mentioned, GET THE REMOVAL TOOL.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/pex%205ft?NCNI-5

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts
Thanks all!

Great idea of doing a test fit a couple times - have plenty of scrap pieces - will be getting the simple removal tool also.

And properly cleaned deburred pipe ends - important just like when soldering.

After reviewing my plans, I will only need the one 1/2" tee for the copper. This will work well for me. While I used to solder all the time, it's been a long time.....this should make it simple for me.
Practice with the removal tool.
BTW, Right or wrong I've never cleaned the pipes.

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been using SharkBites for 12+ years. I love the things.
Stan, go with PEX, old CPVC gets brittle with age.
PEX in 5ft sections -- 1/2" under $2, 3/4" under $4
As someone else mentioned, GET THE REMOVAL TOOL.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/pex%205ft?NCNI-5
The pipe is cheap enough but not the fittings.

My other issue - just picturing in my mind - is not have nice straight runs of pipe like you do with rigid pipe. Also - again in my mind - is when coming up into the vanity where you would install the stops - the flex pipe is just going to kind of wag around where the CPVC is at least rigid enough to stand up by itself.

I have plenty of CPVC pipe and fittings to do the job - always one to use what I have....but thanks for the suggestion.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,414 Posts

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I like them, never tried the non brass style.
Just got done re distributing compressed air at work with a similar system of coated aluminum tubing and push to connect fittings.
Instructions there were cut length, deburr inside of tube and create a small chamfer on the OD of the tube to facilitate pushing past the O-ring which does the sealing.
They required lubrication such as silicone (dielectric grease works).
I recommend lubricant on a clean tube as well, anything to prevent nicking the O-ring at assembly can only help and it will ease the force required to insert.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Used 2 couplings in my attic 10 years ago to move my kitchen piping out of the outside wall. Didn't want to solder in the attic. Went from copper to pex. They worked perfectly and have held up to 70 lbs of pressure for all that time. Worth every penny in my opinion.
Ron

·
Registered
570 Posts
Giz - What I like most about SharkBite is the simplicity of the design and the ease of use. We used them a lot in our summer 2018 home remodel and we still have some buried behind the walls, FWIW, if there are no leaks after re-energizing the lines with water pressure, your pipes are cleaned and de=burred enough.

Brian
Practice with the removal tool.
BTW, Right or wrong I've never cleaned the pipes.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Love sharkbites.

Do yourself a favor and get the depth gauge. Mark your pipe with a sharpie and you'll know when it's seated.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1-4-in-to-1-in-Depth-Gauge-Deburr-Tool/1000182653
View attachment 671444
That tool also serves as a outside deburing tool. Put it over the end of your pipe & rotate it. It will take the sharp edge off of the outside edge of the pipe. This keeps the edge of the pipe from cutting the O ring when the pipe is inserted in the fitting.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts