Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: when I initially got the Piranha Toothbar, it was very sharp (so sharp I cut my hand on it even after being warned that would happen, dumb me). Anyway, from A LOT of use, the toothbar is dull. What is the best way and most importantly the quickest way to sharpen the teeth? Please advise...

Reactions: Marlin

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Maybe a 4" angle grinder?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Piranha bars are shaped differently. They are not so much independent teeth as they are a saw tooth design. Saplings and growth are caught in V notches and if not pulled loose, then they are cut buy the sharp edges.
They work extraordinarily well for this, but I also conjectured that digging would eventually dull them out and they would need touched up. Looked to me when I got mine that the saw tooth pattern was water-jet cut at an angle.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I got the Piranha Toothbar and it just seems to sharpen it's self the more digging I do. The only dull part is the very tips (points) of the small teeth which are getting rounded. The rest is still just as sharp and I've done a lot of digging. But a grinder should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
^^^^^ What he said ^^^^^
I agree , a small angle grinder with a 1/8" thick disc should do nicely . :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Maybe even a dremel with a good stone. Shouldn't have to remove much but the tip of edge. I found the saplings that were too big and didn't cut, just ripped them out of ground

Reactions: Marlin and Levi

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have had a piranha tooth bar for almost 4 years now. I can't imagine why you would want to sharpen it. I've used the daylights out of mine on my 3320 for digging, removing rocks, trees and saplings. After all of this mine is still in A-1 shape.

If you feel the need to sharpen it I would use a grinder 4" grinder with a 1/4" grinding wheel. They also make a heavy duty disc that looks like a sanding wheel but it is actually for grinding. I know Norton makes them and there are some other companies. These work much better than a grinding wheel and leave a smooth, polished look.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I'd suggest using a flap disk instead of an 1/8" wheel. Wheels that thin are much closer to a cut-off wheel than a true stone.

Flap disk in 60 grit will give you a nice surface and will keep a corner for a while unless you jam it into the V's and wreck the edge.

They're spendy at around $5 a pop, but they make a nice surface and I buy them by the box full to keep on hand. I like the 80's for general use on mild steel, but the tooth bar is probably hard enough that a 60 would cut better.

·
Registered
452 Posts
When my Piranha bar was brand new it was so sharp that I was concerned that someone walking around the bucket (me...) would inadvertently catch an ankle on it. Always made sure that the bucket was flat on the ground when parked. Now that the edge if off that's not as much of an issue.

Reactions: Levi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts