Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently if the equipment is built correctly you don't need shear bolts on a snow blower. At least that is what Toro wants us to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29T4t8cQlC0

If only JD would have used a "commercial grade gear case" on our snow blowers we could have avoided the whole shear bolt issue.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Apparently if the equipment is built correctly you don't need shear bolts on a snow blower. At least that is what Toro wants us to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29T4t8cQlC0

If only JD would have used a "commercial grade gear case" on our snow blowers we could have avoided the whole shear bolt issue.
What could possibly go wrong? We had a very bad winter in 2009 and my dad broke a shear bolt on his 318 snowblower trying to clear a 10 foot drift from his driveway. He didn't have a shear bolt so he put what he had in and grenaded the gearbox. Expensive lesson. I'm not sure I like the idea of using the engine in lieu of a simple shear bolt to protect the gearbox. Newspapers aren't the only thing run through augers. Rocks, wood, garden hoses, small frozen animals, and other hard objects come in quick and I could see them doing potential damage faster than the engine could protect it especially with a higher horsepower engine.

·
Premium Member
4,326 Posts
Funny, I have only broke the blower pins when I sucked in something bad like a board or a newspaper. Usually they pull right out because the pin broke. I bet clearing the obstruction become a lot harder than he says when it has 8hp pulling it in until it stalls.:good2:

Not to mention trying to find the obstruction that is jammed in between the back housing and the auger buried in snow. Might just be the engineers that designed it have not used a snowblower. :dunno:

I have also had it cut the paper in two and blow it right out. That will make you respect the power it has.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny, I have only broke the blower pins when I sucked in something bad like a board or a newspaper. Usually they pull right out because the pin broke. I bet clearing the obstruction become a lot harder than he says when it has 8hp pulling it in until it stalls.:good2:
On my old 13HP MTD walk-behind I didn't notice that one of the tire chains had fallen off in the deep snow. On the return pass there was a big CLUNK. It did break an auger shear bolt but not before pulling the chain around and wedging it so tight behind the auger that I had to loosen the bearing bolts to get it free.

·
Super Moderator
4,760 Posts
In looking around and taking a peak at the Toro parts breakdown for the 2 machines that they are promoting with this "no shear pins" thing, they just replaced the grade 3 shear pin bolts with grade 5 shear pin bolts.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Remember that guy that had to get a new tractor because the RIO shut the engine down so fast that some kind of damage happened?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Really! No shear pins in a Toro? I'm not an engineer so pardon my asking this. When the Augur, for any reason should become jammed & abruptly stops, where does all that "torque" from the gear box go? I don't have a snow blower, but I do have a Post Hole Digger, which uses a shear bolt connecting the digger gearbox to the universal joint that connects the drive shaft to the PTO. I can tell you that on several occasions, drilling a 12 inch dia. hole, if I did not have shear pin protection I would have a broken PTO shaft-gearbox. I'm not so sure I would trust the word of Toro or any other manufacturer for that matter on this issue. And Who makes Toro these days. I'm just asking. But if its MTD (Modern Tool & Die) their claims are worthless just like the junk they build today. Really a shame that all these quality brands are nothing like what they were 20 years ago. Just my own feelings about it.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really! No shear pins in a Toro? I'm not an engineer so pardon my asking this. When the Augur, for any reason should become jammed & abruptly stops, where does all that "torque" from the gear box go?
According to the claim, it gets absorbed by the massive "commercial grade gear case". :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
According to the claim, it gets absorbed by the massive "commercial grade gear case". :)
Ah well "massive commercial gear case". Exactly what is that suppose to tell you about the quality. I would say that they have some very smart lawyers writing their advertising copy. Because as long as they avoid the use of words like guarantee;warranty, they bypass most consumer laws. It's the same worthless phrasing used car sales lots tell potential buyers. It helps the impulse to buy while avoiding any responsibility for the product being offered. The lawyers call it "fluffing", the rest of us call it B S. If they are so certain of not having this snow blower fail if it is abruptly stopped under full load, then why don't they demonstrate it in a video on YouTube instead of just telling you to believe the lie they are spinning?

·
Registered
498 Posts
What they are really saying is "Our snow blowers are so underpowered that you couldn't hurt them if you tried." or "Most all of our snow blowers are sold to suburban dwellers and the risk of anything happening is small so we'll take the hit (if there is one) for marketing wankery"

Shear pins/ bolts exist on just about all commercial grade rotating equipment I have ever dealt with. Far less chance of breaking something important when you know exactly where the weakest link is and you control the breakage. I would never consider doing anything like this regardless of the marketing. From a physics perspective it doesn't work with any thing of real power.

EDIT:
Wait I watched the whole video and they even confirmed it: "over-loaded with snow" will stop the engine how the hell can you overload a snow blower if it has anything resembling enough power for its size?

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
EDIT:
Wait I watched the whole video and they even confirmed it: "over-loaded with snow" will stop the engine how the hell can you overload a snow blower if it has anything resembling enough power for its size?
While I don't agree with Toros approach on the shear bolts, it is pretty easy to overload a walk-behind blower. I've had three different walk behinds over the past 30+ years and all of them could bog down and stall if you tried to go too fast through heavy snow. That includes a 13HP 33" MTD which I've always referred to as "Mongo" for its ability to chew through anything. If the snow is hard and deep you still have to slow down and not force feed it.

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the flip-side, you know how Honda typically over engineers everything. I was watching a review on YouTube of one of the new Honda snow blowers and they mentioned it has an electronic torque sensor on the auger drive.

Advanced Honda technology protects the HS1332ATD from damage, without needing to replace shear bolts The Auger Shear Bolt Guard detects high torque levels and immediately shuts off the auger and the engine, protecting the snow blower.

It also has a light on the dash to tell you when the torque protection has been triggered.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have very limited experience with shear bolts on snowthrower augers as I've never owned one. So which is faster and easier, replacing a shear bolt, or replacing the flywheel key in the engine?
Just kidding! :laugh:

tommyhawk

·
Registered
498 Posts
While I don't agree with Toros approach on the shear bolts, it is pretty easy to overload a walk-behind blower. I've had three different walk behinds over the past 30+ years and all of them could bog down and stall if you tried to go too fast through heavy snow. That includes a 13HP 33" MTD which I've always referred to as "Mongo" for its ability to chew through anything. If the snow is hard and deep you still have to slow down and not force feed it.
Yeah I get ya and of course you need to vary your speed according to the conditions. There I go expecting common sense from everyone again 😀.
I can just see some poor salesperson getting their ear chewed off. "It's got 6 speeds I want to finish fast and this thing won't stay running when I go use 5 or 6"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts