Green Tractor Talk banner

61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Watch out, RodW! Sweetie and I may be coming to shelter in place with you! Just last night she was saying (AGAIN!) that she wanted to move someplace warm!
That is certainly an appealing scene!
When all of the virus restrictions go away, maybe some of you good GTT folks can stop by during a vacation trip. I moved here to get away from the stuffed shirts, and it would be great to chat with some genuine, hard-working, kindred spirits!
We're right across the bay from Destin, FL.

·
Registered
22,080 Posts
When all of the virus restrictions go away, maybe some of you good GTT folks can stop by during a vacation trip. I moved here to get away from the stuffed shirts, and it would be great to chat with some genuine, hard-working, kindred spirits!
A couple years ago I threatened that I was going to make a tour of the country to visit with our members. I called it Coaltrain’s breakfast tour of 2017 I think. I was going to meet as many as I could for breakfast. However I just can travel by any means anymore.

There have been quite a few members that have gotten together over the years. Some one on one when they were in the area. Some have a few members have breakfast together once in a while. The biggest gathering has been at the Louisville farm show every year. There is a dedicated thread for that each year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It looked like some of your pictures out side today but felt like winter still at 30 degrees and breezy. I’ve had this closet project in mind for a while. Fortunately I get to go to work tomorrow. They consider pump rental for sewer and fresh water emergencies essential. View attachment 731347 View attachment 731348 View attachment 731349
I like buckles! What does the buckle say on it. It appears to be a trophy buckle of some sort but I cant make it out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It is a trophy buckle. We used to have horses and I team roped. That buckle labeled me as the champion heeler in a little local club. It’s got a special meaning to me because of the man I won it with. I worked on his dairy farm when I was a kid and he’s the one who got me started roping. That’s the short version of the story

·
Registered
178 Posts
How did you "sneak" out to the store??? We're on mandatory lock down. I've been tempted to run to the local steel supplier for some more "supplies" but didn't want to upset the wife.
Around here it seems like every store (I care about) interprets themselves as essential - grain, hardware, Walmart, TSC, Electrical Equip co., seed store, JD, gas station. There aren't any reported cases of COVID in our county yet. While places are open businesses and people seem to be respecting what is going on. The have placed barriers in front of the counters, hand sani everywhere, and most are using call-in orders, which I love. With all the "precautions" being practiced, the parallel benefit seems to be efficiency. No salesman wanting to talk, little BS at the counter, all my stuff is bagged and ready at a table when I walk in at some places. No asking to sign up for a credit card or some program. Just in and out.

My wife stays at home with the kids, and comes out to the farm usually, especially when it's warm, but this winter she hasn't as much, mostly becuase there is no garden. It's also because of me - projects are requiring me to push, so I am more pressed with time. Once she gets the kids warm clothes on after school, and get out there, there isn't much time until we all have to go in for dinner. With the time change and it now lighter later, kids not having to go to school/activities, and my projects now mostly complete, we have been able to enjoy just being at the farm and showing family members (including my wife) how to do things. Not talking down to her, just often it's mostly me out there, so she simply doesn't know. Now we all have more time, it's been nice to show her things, and walkthrough stuff with the kids.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Hmmm, Sweetie's been saying that she wants to go back to Destin! :)

We went there 5 or 6 years ago - had a condo on the Gulf. Our first morning there, I got up earlier than everyone else (as usual) and went exploring. I stopped in at the little "Visitor Information" booth and grabbed a bunch of flyers for what to do. That included a couple of snorkeling flyers. Grabbed a cup of coffee and some donuts, headed back to the condo. Was on the balcony enjoying the coffee and looking through the flyers and I see a big pontoon boat in the little "harbor" by our beach. Took another look at it and then picked up one of the snorkeling flyers. Sure 'nuf - the boat was the same on as on the flyer since our little beach was where the snorkeling tours came! Bought a couple of masks and snorkels from WalMart and saved $100 by not getting on their boat! Plus, we snorkeled a LOT there. My stepson had a blast!

Another cool thing we did there was to go to Pensacola and watch a practice session of the Blue Angels! AWESOME STUFF! While there, we went to the Navel Museum which was great!! Having grown up in Dayton - home of the Museum of the US Air Force - it was great to see another wonderful museum dedicated to another branch of the service.

=========================

Back to topic - if we ever get some sunshine here, I'll post a pic or two of my shelter in place experience.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is the view out of my office window yesterday morning after the long, hard rains that flooded much of Licking county in central Ohio. The intersection was about 1' to 1-1/2' under water. View attachment 731210
We had closed roads for a day and a half here north of Johnstown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
Spent yesterday burning and debris cleanup by the creek. The water level is extremely low as we are looking at another drought year. Went to the other side of my property line to enjoy happy hour with the neighbor. Is that considered a violation of essential trips/ shelter in place provisions? It beats the heck out of being confined to a 22nd floor condo in an urban environment. Enjoy your day. More of the same today while the weather cooperates.
yday.jpg

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
We had closed roads for a day and a half here north of Johnstown.

My son lives near Northridge and Sportsman Club road. He travels Rt. 62 into Columbus for work. He said it was a disaster between Johnstown and New Albany.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Shelter in place? Well I am working from home, playing albums, woodstove going, pecking away at my computer, and watching the snow melt. Mrs. C and I walk to get the mail every day, this shot is from the driveway of the little haven we call home, this is where we are “sheltering”.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Shelter in place? Well I am working from home, playing albums, woodstove going, pecking away at my computer, and watching the snow melt. Mrs. C and I walk to get the mail every day, this shot is from the driveway of the little haven we call home, this is where we are “sheltering”.

Did you get the Trailer or the House, suspect she got the house. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
121 Posts
My son lives near Northridge and Sportsman Club road. He travels Rt. 62 into Columbus for work. He said it was a disaster between Johnstown and New Albany.
Yep. I'll back him. I work downtown Columbus. My daily driver is a Prius. So we were creeping through sections of a state route!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Spring time service for the x758. Laugh all you want but I am going to rotate the tires while they are off. View attachment 731906
That's about as stripped as anything for a newer unit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The hood comes off very easy and makes easier access to the fuel and air filter. The front tires have to come off to drain the oil out of the hubs. Took the rears off so I can clean the insides and hopefully prevent further rust development. For as expensive as these overgrown lawn mowers are the yellow paint on the wheels and deck is terrible. Wish it was new enough to have the fancy aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Dirty and I have been hanging out at the farm. He was in the old shop. I was in the new(er) shop. Yesterday he bought an accordion. I think he needs professional help. He's gone stir crazy.

Played the Chicken Dance for the chickens.

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Dirty and I have been hanging out at the farm. He was in the old shop. I was in the new(er) shop. Yesterday he bought an accordion. I think he needs professional help. He's gone stir crazy.

View attachment 732044

Played the Chicken Dance for the chickens.
View attachment 732045
Just think...soon you can have a duet...or a trio!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Around here it seems like every store (I care about) interprets themselves as essential - grain, hardware, Walmart, TSC, Electrical Equip co., seed store, JD, gas station. There aren't any reported cases of COVID in our county yet. While places are open businesses and people seem to be respecting what is going on. The have placed barriers in front of the counters, hand sani everywhere, and most are using call-in orders, which I love. With all the "precautions" being practiced, the parallel benefit seems to be efficiency. No salesman wanting to talk, little BS at the counter, all my stuff is bagged and ready at a table when I walk in at some places. No asking to sign up for a credit card or some program. Just in and out.
Wow! It sounds exactly like my county. Here, however, the governor actually defined all of those stores as "essential services". In fact, the things that his order covered indicated that 78% of Minnesota residents are performing essential services. He did acknowledge that his "stay at home" order was pretty much a "suggestion", and that enforcement wasn't part of the plan. Putting Minnesotans on the the honor system is usually a pretty good bet in something like this.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts