Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
X320, 3720 W/ 300cx loader, 5'ford 917 flail, CL 6' box blade, 64 massage 165
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished..
Been working on a 12x20 shelter logic garage by myself for about 2 month's. I've had the frame up. put in a rubber floor of horse stall mats with about 3 inches of sand under them. Today I put on the ends and my 14yr old daughter helped me pull on the top. Still need to tighten it up tomorrow when it warms up in the sun. But otherwise it's all done. except the roll up kits for the doors. Will add an electric out let and a light in the spring or later this year. Did install a 4x4 post to use as an electric post when I do.

Planing on building a pole barn in near future. Some were in the 36x48 something size in next yr or 2. Need to eliminate a pool and Sq off the deck that partly wraps around the pool first.
Needed temp shelter for my Deere and other equipment till that's finished though.
Plant Sky Tree Land lot Shade

Plant Tire Wheel Land lot Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Nice! 👍

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Is that thing anchored down?

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that thing anchored down?
Yes, 10 driven anchors, one on each leg. I added, 6 36" inch screw in anchors one on each corner and center side legs.
It's wind rated to 80mph and snow load rated also. Not that we get much snow here. A good noreaster may dump 8/12inches of wind driven snow. Drifts more then anything.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I've had good luck with these. Until one winter.
Got my first one when I was in a duplex with no garage, and I had to fix my cars over the winter. It was the same 12x20 size as my screen tent but after 10 months the local code office said I had to take it down. It took them 3 days to construct a reason using snippets of different codes. The part I liked best "it can be no closer to the house than 15 feet, but no further than 5 feet away." They also claimed right of way up to somewhere in the living room. Took it down and sold it in great shape.

Moved out here and gradually I needed more covered storage. Got another one, supposedly the same model but the frame pipes were a tad smaller and lighter. That winter was bad for ice. A layer at least 18" thick slowly slid down my pole barn metal roof and curled back toward the wall several feet down, touched, and started pushing the whole thing further out until it started breaking off. Impressive to watch over a few days.
Then found out the tent (on the other side of the pole barn) had a layer of ice more than a foot thick on it. As expeccted it crushed the frame and rested on some of the contents. Tore up the fabric too for some reason.
Still and all, they are good tents. Make durn sure your anchors are good and the tent doesn't rock or shift under provocation or the wind will work it loose.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not that we get much snow here. A good noreaster may dump 8/12inches of wind driven snow. Drifts more then anything.
I used one for 'temporary' storage for three years. I get LOTS of snow here. Failure mode was snow that slid off the top, piled against lower sides. Inward pressure caused the tent to rip at the top ridge. In heavy snow areas, you need to keep the snow cleared from the bottom sides.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used one for 'temporary' storage for three years. I get LOTS of snow here. Failure mode was snow that slid off the top, piled against lower sides. Inward pressure caused the tent to rip at the top ridge. In heavy snow areas, you need to keep the snow cleared from the bottom sides.
Thanks for info. Wondered about snow build up along edge. My hot tub cover used to be my winter worry point. Will change to shelter till I get thru a storm and see how it goes. I got the gray to help with snow melt off in sun. Other dark choice was green but didn't like the color.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I've got a couple similar.

Snow is a problem....what I've done is use pvc or abs pipe to create xtra rafters from the ridge pole to the top of wall poles. Easy to do useing "T"s or for abs or Snap T's for the pvc.
Still be prepared to sweep it off or bounce the snow off from inside with a push broom.

One sealed up like that is going to sweat at some point and time.
You'll figure out when........I leave mine open on the ends and they are in the shade under trees = less rapid temp changes.

Keep an eye on this and open it up when nessessary.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a couple similar.

Snow is a problem....what I've done is use pvc or abs pipe to create xtra rafters from the ridge pole to the top of wall poles. Easy to do useing "T"s or for abs or Snap T's for the pvc.
Still be prepared to sweep it off or bounce the snow off from inside with a push broom.

One sealed up like that is going to sweat at some point and time.
You'll figure out when........I leave mine open on the ends and they are in the shade under trees = less rapid temp changes.

Keep an eye on this and open it up when nessessary.
Good idea on leaving the doors open a bit. Sweating is an issue here humidity always high. My property is a bit low and can be quite damp/wet during winter months. They do make a vent system I didn't get. Hadn't thought about leaving doors up a bit. That's much easier.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thumping the snow inside to make it slide off wasn't a problem. Then I would have to clear the sides. That ice, however, I couldn't break it with an axe. It was just too thick. Only winter like that here in the 15 years I've been here. They are good tents if you take care of them.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have one since about 2012, has a few small holes, tears, etc. Like any tent shelter, keep things tight and anchored down, it should last you a good while.

·
Premium Member
6,291 Posts
Got one from a neighbor back in 06 to use as a firewood shelter. Staked down good but I had to continue winching it here and there. Probably due to its second install or age idk. Snow wasn’t a problem and a stiff broom to knock it off from inside did the trick. High winds beat it up pretty good and I scrapped it after 4-5 years. Got its use as a temp shelter and I since sold the house so no loss for a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've considered getting one of these for temporary storage of a tractor. I do not plan on putting anything down for a "floor", just using bare Earth. Is that foolish?

The lifespan would need to be 2 yrs max. We're building a detached garage that will have dedicated tractor space. Located in North Texas, snow is not an issue here.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
I've considered getting one of these for temporary storage of a tractor. I do not plan on putting anything down for a "floor", just using bare Earth. Is that foolish?

The lifespan would need to be 2 yrs max. We're building a detached garage that will have dedicated tractor space. Located in North Texas, snow is not an issue here.
Unless we have another winter like last year!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That would depend a lot on soil type and how wet or low the property is.
I'm kind of low and clay soil. By adding sand and mats I'm hoping to keep it a bit drier. Knowing if I did nothing once the grass died it would be a muddy mess.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good idea adding the mats; it'll help quite a bit. Just keep an eye on the tarp itself. I'm on my third replacement cover. I only get about a year out of them before they start to rot from the UV.

Reactions: Dave in DE

·
Registered
473 Posts
Had the same issue years ago.. Simple fix, take plywood and place between the fabric and uprights. Drill plywood and hold in place with tiewraps around wall posts. Snow will still pile up on side but will be kept from putting pressure on fabric wall. Added bennie it helps protect from OOOps incidents when you work inside.

Steve

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Had the same issue years ago.. Simple fix, take plywood and place between the fabric and uprights. Drill plywood and hold in place with tiewraps around wall posts. Snow will still pile up on side but will be kept from putting pressure on fabric wall. Added bennie it helps protect from OOOps incidents when you work inside.

Steve
I like that idea. May just have to do that and drive stakes in ground to help hold them in place.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts