Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys for lack of a place to put this..( can move it if needed)

Anyone have a recommendation on how to get a seeder shipped to me from a dealer in Harvard Ill. The equipment dealer says they can load what ever come to pick it up. Looking to see about getting it hauled to New York. 1600 pounds 82" wide 48" tall 52" deep..

Anyone near there know the dealer? A.A. anderson inc. Good/ bad ? worth asking i guess

Thanks

·
Administrator
18,282 Posts
You can try getting a bid on uShip, I had a 455 L&G tractor shipped from TN to MD and had a pretty good experience. You can hold out for lower bids if your not in a hurry.

Another option, if they are willing is to use the store-to-store shipping service that Fastenal offers. It's VERY competitive and convenient but the item must be on a pallet and they'd have to take it to the closest store, then you can pick it up at your store at your convenience rather than waiting around for a truck.

https://www.fastenal.com/en/22/third-party-logistics-(3pl

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put a bid up on Uship.. See where that goes.

The Fastenal thing is interesting. Im gonna look at that. Thanks Kenny

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I bought a 3-point Bearcat chipper/shredder from an implement dealer in WI a couple of years ago. I'm in OH. I figured out what trucking companies had terminals in the greater Dayton area and then started calling them. I was lucky and got a good inside salesperson at one of the companies here that gave me a great price. It was about $250 to ship it from WI to OH if I picked it up at the terminal.

If I remember correctly, I tried to get a bid from uShip and it was about triple what I was able to do. And some of the other companies were 4-5x higher than the one I went with, mainly because this was a one-time thing and not a regular thing. Persistence and being able to quickly build a rapport with the salesperson went a long way towards getting a great rate.

If you deal direct, make sure you ask about "class codes" for the shipping. Obviously, a chipper is an odd-sized heavy piece of equipment. It hung out over the sides of the skid it was packed on. The shipper had other "classes" that might have given me a better rate, but there was the risk that they could have evaluated the shipment once it arrived at the terminal and then change the class rating. I opted to go with the most expensive "class" available to avoid any problems. It was only a little bit more when they discounted it. But if I'd opted for the lower rate and they changed it, they wouldn't have necessarily given me the discount.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse the issue.

And, good luck!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts