1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
967 Posts
My $9.95 Wally World specials work just fine, Thank You Very much.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
Never heard of them before so never used them either. And because of the price...never will. :dunno:

·
Registered
442 Posts
To me, a tie down that has give built in to it kind of defeats the idea of securely fastening your load. I always tie my loads down using a solid point, non-sprung part of the vehicle, that way I am solidly secured, no give anywhere.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
They are physically large which is a good thing with a price point to match which really isnt. I wonder where they are made. I looked but didnt see manufacter origin anywhere which is kind of strange.

·
Premium Member
735 Posts

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
You know I never had a strap come off no matter how many bumps but...after watching some of the videos. That looks like a good idea for ATV's, bikes ect. But I've never strapped down a bike so I don't know.

·
Premium Member
11,417 Posts
You know I never had a strap come off no matter how many bumps but...after watching some of the videos. That looks like a good idea for ATV's, bikes ect. But I've never strapped down a bike so I don't know.
It can happen. Back in the day I trailered motocross bikes thousands of miles. On one of the early hauls I didn't have the forks pulled down quite enough and while going slowly back a dirt road the one trailer wheel dropped into a deep hole. It caused one of the straps to unhook from the handlebar and the bike fell over on the trailer, denting the gas tank.

From then on I pulled those straps down gorilla tight and never had any more issues.

I'm not sure if straps like these would have helped. I know some guys would put a wooden block between the top of the front tire and the underside of the front fender to prevent the forks from compressing.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Them are some crappy hooks for the price point.

I tried a similar set of straps with hooks just like them. However they didn't have the shock absorber. Used them to tie down the front of my tractor. At the first stop I found the one side fell off and was just laying on my trailer.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
It can happen. Back in the day I trailered motocross bikes thousands of miles. On one of the early hauls I didn't have the forks pulled down quite enough and while going slowly back a dirt road the one trailer wheel dropped into a deep hole. It caused one of the straps to unhook from the handlebar and the bike fell over on the trailer, denting the gas tank.

From then on I pulled those straps down gorilla tight and never had any more issues.

I'm not sure if straps like these would have helped. I know some guys would put a wooden block between the top of the front tire and the underside of the front fender to prevent the forks from compressing.
See, I didn't even know about this. I'm not sure I'd know where to begin to strap down a bike. Not quite the same as a tractor or car.

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
I've never seen these before, (I'm guessing many of you have though). I just thought they are a great idea, maybe not for a tractor but for ATV's

https://www.etrailer.com/Tie-Down-Straps/ShockStrap/297-9RSBB-2SLY-ATV.html?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=etrailer&utm_content=171011-CarTD-feat
My 2 cents.. - Another Make-Money-gimmick developed for the person who doesn't actually know how to tie down a load... "seems like a super-smart idea" to the novice public, but in reality it is attempting to compensate for an inadequately tied-down load. For a light load I suppose it would not hurt anything.... IMHO

Sincerely

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,749 Posts
My 2 cents.. - Another Make-Money-gimmick developed for the person who doesn't actually know how to tie down a load... "seems like a super-smart idea" to the novice public, but in reality it is attempting to compensate for an inadequately tied-down load. For a light load I suppose it would not hurt anything....

Sincerely
You beat me to it. :thumbup1gif: IMO.

·
Super Moderator
5,494 Posts
I'll use a "normal" ratchet strap, and common sense all day long, over some over priced marketing gimmick!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The general rule of thumb is. Anything with wheels gets tied to the frame.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You can get the same concept with a standard tie down strap. Just add a bungee chord from the upper eye to the lower eye. Have hauled my bikes for years with this method. I just lightly cinch down the straps and add the bungee. Never had a strap come off, and have hauled the bikes on some pretty rough dirt roads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts