Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like theres alot of interest in shop air....a few months ago I got a trade magazine with an ad for this Air Dryer/Filter setup from Wix...I must say I'm very interested...I Love the idea of a spin on filter...

http://www.aquachekfilters.com/wps/portal/aquachek/c0/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3g_M29PfyM_IwP_UGMnAyMnXxcfA09DAwNTM_2CbEdFAEaFGOU!?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/affinia_websites_content_en/affinia.websites.content/Home/Home%20Page/aquachek/The%20Stealth%20Enemy%20-%20www.aquachekfilters.com

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Thanks Dave, haven't seen that one before. Wonder what they get for 'em?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave, haven't seen that one before. Wonder what they get for 'em?
The kit I posted ACKG15 seems to be ~$100
The replacement filter itself seems to be 25-30 bucks. I havent done any homework so I dont know the differences between kits or filters. Looks like some kits come with a differential gauge which shows when to change the filter...some other kits come with no gauge for around 20.00 less....

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
I have a large desicant filter I use before the plasma cutter, and probably the new blast cabinet as well when I finish it.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I use Domnick-Hunter filters at all my drops. They have the auto drain and flow gauge. There just are certain things that require quality stuff.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Anybody ever heard of a "Franzinator"? Google it and see what you think please:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody ever heard of a "Franzinator"? Google it and see what you think please:thumbup1gif:
Just spent the last 20 mins reading.....all I'm gonna say for now is hmmmmmmmm.... more research is required. But for now I do think its interesting and promising...

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
So basically right after the compressor is a elongated tube. Moisture condenses on the tube and goes to the bottom. You can then drain the water. Because the area of the tube is big, air going out of the tube does not take the water on the sides with it, that water can run down the sides of the tube

Sounds like a vertical tank in an air compressor? It's a fairly wide, kinda short-ish tube?

I can see where a 2-3" tube would be better than a tank, but I'd like to see something comparing the performance of a stock tank with this device. Seems like additional moisture control stuff at the output of the tank would be a better bet on a stock vertical tank compressor than this. Now if you're building from pieces then putting this between the compressor and the tank would be "fun", and would probably be a bit better than the tank.

I've got a gut feel that the collection efficiency of such devices is a function of the surface area to volume ratio. It would also help if the surface area of the pool of water to it's volume was low so that there was a lower amount of evaporation back into the air. As such, a long pipe would be more efficient than a tank, which tends to have low surface area to volume ratios ('cause that makes them cheaper to make).

Still leaves the question open as to best use of resources with a stock, pre-built vertical tank compressor- put a Franzinator in or add another type of dryer after the tank.

Pete

1 - 9 of 9 Posts