Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finishing the initial build on a shop/barn at my horse farm. Still needs some finishing touches, wiring, plumbing, etc. Will also do a 2 lane outdoor range off the back left side since that side faces into a hill to absorb the lead. We also just did a 36/36 stable with horse stalls that turned out nicely using exactly the same construction except pine boards on exterior rather than tin.

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
That is beautiful! :bigthumb:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Nice! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
14,138 Posts
Shame you didn't built a large barn/shop.:laugh:

That is nice.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Looks great. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Very nice.
What do you intend to use a backstop for the 2 lane range?

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Very nice.
Think he was planning on using good Mother Earth. The said they were going to shoot into the hill side.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice.
Hi, thanks everyone for the compliments. It truly is a pleasure to go there and work on things in a nice shop. That side of the barn faces a steep hill about 20 feet tall so I was just going to fire into the hill. Have unloaded a few hundred rounds into it already and it seems good. I intend to put two poles in the ground about 100 feet away and use a clothesline setup with a drive motor to retrieve the targets like they do in the ranges. This should work well with handguns. Have not quite figured out how I am going to set up rifles yet.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Next step is install the Cupolas which I had made in matching colors at a sheet metal shop. Wife is either acting like Vana White or measuring something :laugh: We should have these up on top of the barn in the next day or two.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Next step is install the Cupolas which I had made in matching colors at a sheet metal shop. Wife is either acting like Vana White or measuring something :laugh: We should have these up on top of the barn in the next day or two.
I was going to mention heat build up, guess I don't have too now. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
83 Posts
That is going to be soooooo nice!!! I have to admit I am a tad bit jealous haha, Even though my family has 120 acre farm not far from where we live, I personally only have a little over 1/2 acre here lol, If I had a building that size and nice on this property I would have no yard to mow and have to live in it!! Which by the way would be fine with me!, You are doing an awesome job and it looks GREAT !! Waiting to see the finished project. :munch:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi, thanks everyone for the compliments. It truly is a pleasure to go there and work on things in a nice shop. That side of the barn faces a steep hill about 20 feet tall so I was just going to fire into the hill. Have unloaded a few hundred rounds into it already and it seems good. I intend to put two poles in the ground about 100 feet away and use a clothesline setup with a drive motor to retrieve the targets like they do in the ranges. This should work well with handguns. Have not quite figured out how I am going to set up rifles yet.
I missed that part about the hill side before. Looks like a great arrangement for handguns and 22lr. May even use if for bench shooting rifles as long as the only people using it know to keep the lead in the berm.:nunu:

i know just what you mean about working in a nice shop. Mine isn't as nice (or new) as yours but it is great to be able to have a floor that can be kept clean and enough room to leave an unfinished project out until you finish it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the two doors on. Decided to go with the Garage style doors rather than sliding doors because they are more pest-resistant, although they are quite a bit more expensive. Put a 12x12 door on the front and a 10x10 matching door on the side (obscured in the photo by a tree limb). Now need to get some power so we can put openers in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,516 Posts
Vana better watch out!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cupolas are up

Not sure why they are called Cupolas, but the wife and I put them up over the 4th weekend. Well actually I put them up and she pointed. Put a nice weather vane in the center one as a decorative feature, but it actually works pretty well. Pic attached and thanks again for the compliments.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Not sure why they are called Cupolas
Comes from the Latin cupa, meaning cup. The original ones that adorned the tops on buildings were round and resembled an upside down cup.

Yours look fantastic.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need to take some better photos and will post them. Was nearly exhausted so took this one as we were leaving for town for a break. I lifted each one up to the eave with my front end loader and then one by one surrounded them with carpet, tied a rope around, then pulled the cupola up to the the spot I had marked and cut with a rope. Once they were in position and level/plumb it was a matter of caulking and then screwing them down.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Beautiful meyerld. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Very Very Nice!!

Any interior pictures?

If you don't mind me asking what brand of garage door?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts