Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my thread http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/computer-electronics/6441-my-new-daily-driver.html I described the new daily driver PC I built for myself.

I was going to scrap the old Dell; but since I had an A/V cart that a friend gave me, along with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse that I bought for setting up new custom built PC's; I changed my mind and put the old girl back into service as a mobile shop computer.

I use it for referencing materials, products, and other similar duties.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110106108324823291002/ShopComputer#

It may not have the convenience of a tablet or a laptop; but the price was right.

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
I like it!:good2:

Having a computer in the shop is pretty convenient. If you run up on a problem, you can research it right there without dragging you and your shop mess into the house. I used my shop computer to do everything from checking on races to programming/tuning motorcycles. Got to get her up and going again...

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Cool. I prefer a desktop in the shop anyway. All the dirt and grime is hard on keyboards, ect. Easier to fix a desktop than a notebook.

I love having a PC in shop. I have AutoCAD on it as well and I don't always dimension everything out so can check it as I build.

That series of Dell you have is not ancient so should make a good garage PC !

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I like the stand....and from the pic,looks like a killer shop! Sure would be cool to see.....hint...hint

·
Premium Member
7,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I prefer a desktop in the shop anyway. All the dirt and grime is hard on keyboards, ect. Easier to fix a desktop than a notebook.

I love having a PC in shop. I have AutoCAD on it as well and I don't always dimension everything out so can check it as I build.

That series of Dell you have is not ancient so should make a good garage PC !
Thanks Rich; but that Dell is a 2008 model, so by PC standards it's pretty darn elderly. You do make good points for not having a laptop in a shop environment. The keyboard and mouse were all of $12 from Newegg. I spent ~$30 on the USB wireless network adapter.

Oh man I'd like to have CAD on the shop 'pute; but sometimes I use ACAD, sometimes Inventor, sometimes another graphic program; therefore it's not practical for me to have all the graphics programs I want on the old girl. I do however print my drawings to PDF files that I can reference if need be.

I like the stand....and from the pic,looks like a killer shop! Sure would be cool to see.....hint...hint
Thanks RGD; but like a good Hollyweird set, you're only seeing the portion that is presentable. My shop is an embarrassing pigsty I hate to say.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Nice, :thumbup1gif: My shop is way too dirty for a PC, but maybe someday!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts