Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years I have been wanting a detached work environment and space "man cave" finally it is starting to come true!

Monday the shingles go on, Tuesday some brick on the front and Wednesday the siding, I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Greg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411255933.656120.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411255961.989140.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411255991.175498.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411256014.901340.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411256031.475407.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411256053.834707.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411256064.569318.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411256108.604081.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,138 Posts
Looking good!

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Sweet! :drinks:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
I'm jealous!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow...how many sq ft? Are those 14' ceilings? Whats your plans for the shop? Would you adopt me?:laugh::thumbup1gif::munch:
Around 1850sq feet, they are 14 foot ceilings. I wanted them high enough to install a hoist. It is simply for storage and to have a place for me to tinker, I enjoy working with my hands, wood working, Harley's, autos etc.
I am having the stud walls spray foamed, attic blown in @ R50 with R17 insulated overhead doors, 12x12. Using a heat pump system for air and heat. Added bathroom since its partial in the ground and can't put a hole in back wall with funnel, lol.

And yes... You can come over anytime and use it! Might even be few tasties in the fridge :)

Greg

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
I'm drooling.......:lol:

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Diesel, there will be some tasties for you too! :)
Thanks! I've been known to drink a few Barley Pops once in a while.:drinks:

Do you mind if i ask how much this is setting you back? Are you doing any of the work?

I'd really love to do the same thing...... Yours look very nice. It will blend in nicely in a neighborhood.:good2:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! I've been known to drink a few Barley Pops once in a while.:drinks:

Do you mind if i ask how much this is setting you back? Are you doing any of the work?

I'd really love to do the same thing...... Yours look very nice. It will blend in nicely in a neighborhood.:good2:
I'm using the same contractor that built my house in 2012, he over builds things the way I usually do, 6" side walls, 5/8 roof sheeting, foam under 6" inch reinforced concrete.
I am just painting exterior, sheeting inside and finish trim work.
The project will come in around 85k, wouldnt be as high if I didn't have to build a basement for it! I didn't have a choice as its built into a hill, also include concrete driveway which will be 90 feet long and 20 feet wide at entrance of drive.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
You are getting a great deal. I spray foamed my home, including rafters. My attic is basically part of the conditioned space...although no supply grill there. It usually is only about 7 degrees warmer than the conditioned space. I would seriously consider doing the same if you can. I have a little under 2400 sq ft in our home...Our highest electric bill in the last 4 yrs has been 116.00. Thats including 2 summers ago with over 60 days of 100+ degree heat. We keep our home at 73 constantly. The foam will completely seal any penetrations as well as having a superior insulation factor. enough so that I have outside air capability built in to our hvac that is controlled either manually, air quality control sensor, and OA enthalpy sensor, and outside make up air serving our exhaust fan in our kitchen vent a hood...which dumps its air outside.

edit to add: we have natural gas for heat, stove top, hot water.

I'll take some pics..showing our set up later this eve..

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Looking real nice, slightly envious here, but happy for you, :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rgd, I assume you sprayed the under side of your roof with closed cell? If so I wished I would have done that in my house, I have R50 in house attic. ( blow in ) we have a direct vent over our cook stove and when it is very cold and then warms up frost thaws in the vent pipe in attic and ends up dripping on the stove. I believe spraying the roof deck with closed cell would have eliminated this! We did spray foam the side walls and basement walls and installed geothermal with 4 horizontal wells, electric bill is similar to yours, average of 105/ month, highest was last January 135.00, the geo also serves as zoned floor heating in the basement.
Glad you mentioned this, have have a few tasties and think about it, lol

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm using the same contractor that built my house in 2012, he over builds things the way I usually do, 6" side walls, 5/8 roof sheeting, foam under 6" inch reinforced concrete.
I am just painting exterior, sheeting inside and finish trim work.
The project will come in around 85k, wouldnt be as high if I didn't have to build a basement for it! I didn't have a choice as its built into a hill, also include concrete driveway which will be 90 feet long and 20 feet wide at entrance of drive.

Looking good! I know the 6" wide sidewalls are code where I'm located if your sidewalls are 12' or more in height.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts