Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for an air over hydraulic shop press in the $1k - $1.5K price range, in other words equipment you would be proud to have taking up your shop floor space. I would also like to use it as a press brake.

Here's a 45 ton press from Greg Smith Equipment (there's a store about 120 miles away.)

Nice Baileigh 30 ton press (I really like this one.)

This Arcan has a two stage pump - I like it!

Any others?

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh dang, I should have done a search here before starting a thread, sorry 'bout that. Thanks for the link Kenny. I asked for a quotation on the 30 ton Baileigh so we'll see if they beat their website price. Dear wife would have a fit if I spent $3k on another piece of equipment, I've already pushed the envelope with the top and tilt kit from Brian (I'm doing some blading today and wish I already had the kit installed.)

·
Registered
539 Posts
John, I would go with a hand pump operated press. To often. air over oil pressure gets away from you and...SNAP, pieces are flying. Much more control with a hand pump. Just my 2¢, Bob.

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
John, I would go with a hand pump operated press. To often. air over oil pressure gets away from you and...SNAP, pieces are flying. Much more control with a hand pump. Just my 2¢, Bob.

I am not sure about all of them, but on mine you can still use the hand pump. So you could make the large movements with air (faster and easier) and then use the handle (included) for fine control.

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
I can't imagine anyone needing more than 25-30 ton capacity for occasional press or straightening work. Unless you're doing Class 8 truck, construction equipment or bulldozer repairs you definitely don't need anything in the 50 Ton range.

I used to own a 25 Ton Nugier press like this one:

25T Nugier Press.jpg

I sold it before a corporate relocation. Great press but larger than I needed at the time. I have an inexpensive 10 Ton Hydraulic press now and it's fine for an the occasional hub bearing or straightening job. :hi:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Bob. From what I see out there, the air over hydraulic presses all have a manual pump feature but I will make sure whichever one I buy has a pump handle.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I built my shop press so that it is a woodsplitter,, too,,,
It takes up little more space than the presses shown

I use it more as a press than a splitter,,

It stores up against a wall, I roll it out to use it,,,

Do you have a welder, yet? :dunno:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that is a slick home build! :bigthumb:

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts
Could you fabricate you're own winch?
Yeah, it's on the "list" but it keeps getting pushed down further. Heck I even bought a boat winch, some 1/8" cable, and started fabbing some pulley mounts...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've noticed many (most?) of the 30-45 ton presses in the ~$1500 range have a winch and some with a foot switch. The foot switch would be really easy to add but the winch would require some head-scratching and ingenuity.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Decision made

I made a decision based on the old adage of "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission" - by the end of next week I'll have a Baileigh HSP-50 to unload from a truck. Now I need to look for press brakes, Swag is my first place to look.

·
Administrator
17,327 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wilco Kenny, I'll take a bunch of pictures when I assemble it. I was hot to trot to buy a land plane but the 50 ton model press sucked up the land plane money. ABI offered me $75 off and 0% financing for six months for their land plane but I'll put that implement on hold for now.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Picked up a voice mail from yesterday (I'm retired, things have slowed down :yahoo:) from Saia freight concerning delivery of the press. Baileigh (or me) had my ZIP code 10 digits off. Fortunately it was the two least significant digits so my press has to move from Austin to San Antonio and then out for local delivery. Local: we're 80 miles from San Antonio.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good things come in large boxes

Finally! My press has enjoyed lots of travel:

Baileaugh >Austin, TX Saia Freight terminal
Austin, TX terminal > San Antonio Saia terminal
Saia > Basse for last mile delivery

And to make it more fun Basse didn't call before delivery like every other trucking company has done over the last few years. So I hear an air horn at our gate and yup, there's an 18 wheeler in front of our gate. Hop in the Mule and race down to the gate to open the 32' gate for the truck (we have a 12' gate for everyday use and a 32' gate for big rigs.)

I asked the driver if I needed the forks on the tractor for unloading - "yes you do." Of course I had the bucket on the front and the truck blocked easy access to my forks. Grabbed a couple of chains and moved the forks to where I could swap the bucket for the forks. And of course I had the rear blade on the 3 point and not my heavy box blade I use for heavy loader work.

No time to swap the blade for the box blade but I thought I could safely lift the 700 pound box - and it was no problem and I didn't feel like the 4720 was the least bit tippy.

So now I need to figure out where the press can live in my jammed packed shop.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts