Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for Ideas On stairs for My 2nd floor In My Barn Currently have a 28.5 X 38.5 two story barn 1st story is 11FT which has attic stairs to second floor Can't take anything Up well. Was was thinking of a spiral stair Case originally when we bought the Place back In September. But I would be in the same Boat again. Not really being able to take any thing up like a simple Tool Box.. I still want to use a Narrow stair case set up of 36inch max. I am Look at Putting the stairs in a former Horse stall which is about 10X12 to keep it out of the Main area. I'm pretty sure there Going to be steeper with a turn In them.

What I am looking for is Pictures of Members staircases Going to the second floor of there Barn, Machine Shop, or shop.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
I don't have a pic but I'd put regular stairs in starting at the other end of the hole in the ceiling going toward the front of the horse stalls and put in a landing about 4' off the floor and turn it to run along the front of the stalls to the floor. Shouldn't take a lot of room away from you and still have the space to use for whatever and make it easier getting up and down.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't have a pic but I'd put regular stairs in starting at the other end of the hole in the ceiling going toward the front of the horse stalls and put in a landing about 4' off the floor and turn it to run along the front of the stalls to the floor. Shouldn't take a lot of room away from you and still have the space to use for whatever and make it easier getting up and down.
Trying to keep the stairs In what would have been the Last Horse stall & it's a 10x12 area. The Middle Horse stall will be Taken out that you see In the Picture. The first Horse stall will be Lockable tool storage and the walls will be extended to the Floor Up above. Trying to stay out of the Main through fair The attic Ladder You see Now will also Be sealed Up. Because that will be the 1025R & X748's Bay and room for a Subaru if the weather outside is bad Ie hail. The smaller tractors will be Kept where the Old Middle Horse stall was . All the Tractors you see In the right Picture will actually be stored offsite. In what they call around here a Car condo (or as I call it the tractor condo):thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you can look past my redneck clutter, here are the steps in my barn. My barn is 60x60 but I believe it was originally 60x40. It appears the prior owner added a 60x20 expansion for horse stables and I speculate these steps were added at the same time to access the loft above the stables.

The railing on the top landing is removable so it's handy to lift bulky items to the loft with the tractor's forks. Also, the area under the staircase is great for storage.

The portable orange Home Depot style ladder is very useful as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you can look past my redneck clutter, here are the steps in my barn. My barn is 60x60 but I believe it was originally 60x40. It appears the prior owner added a 60x20 expansion for horse stables and I speculate these steps were added at the same time to access the loft above the stables.

The railing on the top landing is removable so it's handy to lift bulky items to the loft with the tractor's forks. Also, the area under the staircase is great for storage.

Thanks

The middle stall is going bye bye very soon. The first stall is staying and the walls are going to the ceiling so I can Lock tools Up.. This year I am Just cementing the stalls. insulation & drywall/plywood walls on first Floor & finally stairs. Next year the Upstairs gets Insulation & drywall and finally heat and the downstairs will also get Heat next year. I only want Narrow stairs as I am Going to Have a electric winch to take Bulkier Items through the outside Upstairs doors:thumbup1gif:

Attachments

·
Registered
773 Posts
Didn't have the room to go inside. But the weather is normally good here in southern NC :good2:

You will need a platform somewhere for sure. A 16 foot 2x12 will only get you enough height to go up 10 feet keeping risers within code.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts

All good ideas.:thumbup1gif:
Sergeant, I like the portable ladder deal especially for a temporary solution, until you get the building inside the way you want it. I know if it were me I'd for sure come up with a better plan AFTER the stairs were already installed. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't have the room to go inside. But the weather is normally good here in southern NC :good2:

You will need a platform somewhere for sure. A 16 foot 2x12 will only get you enough height to go up 10 feet keeping risers within code.
Yeah I might go the outside route. if I have to On the Backside of the Barn:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My only suggestion is try and find a way to locate the stairs so they are straight without turns, and that you have 4' - 6' landings at both ends.
That's Probably not going to Happen where I want them. I know at the very least there will be One turn. Where I could do that I don't want stairs. Because they will be in the way. The Other Place that could Happen In there. I would have to seal a double doorway which if I have no choice I might do to keep them inside the Barn:thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Well done Bullit. I counted five stringers, which should allow you to drive a tractor up those stairs. :good2: :laugh:
:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Cutting 6 stringers so all the risers and treads matched was a royal PITA :lol:
Good Lumber hard to find sometimes!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,123 Posts
Cutting 6 stringers so all the risers and treads matched was a royal PITA :lol:
Good Lumber hard to find sometimes!
I bet it was. I did 4 once, can't imagine 6. Good job.
Do you use Microsoft Excel? I have a template for calculating stringers.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Me too, a 2 dollar calculator and a 1 dollar brain!:laugh:

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just used the stair designer on decks.com I think? But that was the easy part.
Finding dry, straight, 12x16' was really difficult. Think I cut at least 10 to end up with 6 that didn't warp or bow :banghead:.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts