Green Tractor Talk banner
301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
Was not happy with gas cylinder straps. Could not get them tight enough. So replaced them with ratchet style straps. Don't need the lower straps now either.

Motor vehicle Working animal Horse tack Gas Fender

The TIG hand control on the torch. Less brain required, at least for me.

Automotive tire Wood Electrical wiring Gas Bicycle fork

Ahh, that's going to leave some skin behind. :)

Wood Gas Engineering Tool Electronic device

Terrible beads... LOL. But it's a start, need to drop the amps. But only had to grind a new tip once.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Don’t be too hard on yourself, they look like a great start.
That magnetic holder is pretty cool.

those rabbits, do they hook in to a data logger or similar? Is the idea to match the temp and humidity with the AC cycle to fine tune for lowest operating cost or consistent conditions or is it a building management thing, like for monitoring the humidity of a basement or attic to trigger whether mould/termites/rats-mice-raccoons etc might be invading. Once I overcome the local govt planning war I’ll be building a strawbale house, something to monitor the internal wall conditions would be really fascinating.., well maybe not for my visitors, but most are pretty tolerant 🤔

then further to that, if installed in the workshop, will they pick up the added heat load of welding/cutting/fabrication etc?

so many possibilities and opportunities!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
The rabbits just measured the temp/humidity once a second and posted the output to the internal web server. At one time, I had a bash script that would curl down the web page, grep/sed and awk out the values and write them to a file. Every 10 seconds. Still have to find the script or re-write it. Had years of temp/humidity data from about 6 rabbits, then the upstairs man cave was disassembled for drywalling and the rabbits (along with a bunch of other electronics) came down.

They were initially for tracking crawlspace and attic temp/humidity over time. There were controllable fans (X10) for venting. The X10 setup died and I moved to a dehumidifier in crawlspace and moved the attic fan to a thermostat.

For now, I'm trying to figure out is best heat/cool cycle for the MrCool. Sure, I can set it to 72F and forget about it but I tend to fiddle. :) I think I need four for the shop. A pair on input and output of the MrCool, one near door and another in shop attic. Hell, five, another for outside. lol.

They might see the welding heat load, they are pretty sensitive.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
Update :)

Been using the shop for about a month now. It's still very nice and I kick myself for not doing this 10 years ago. The only real mistake that I've made was not planning for a small sink/drain. Not sure why but I totally forgot about a sink.

Could cut back the workbench and place one there. Will lose about 2 feet. Maybe less. It's opposite the outside hydrant. Otherwise, it's outside and the hose reels move around.

Wood Automotive tire Wall Gas Machine

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Never realized this before, my grandfather was a lathe machinist. Toolboxes from him are filled with things for lathes. HSS cutters, files, drills, taps and such. It's all 1950's vintage. Have to sort it all out and reorganize. Must have at least 20-30 files of various size and shapes.

A few odd things like a mess of mercury switches and 1/2 dozen bars of lead. And a large tap/die set which confuses me. The sizes seems small for the size of the taps and tools. I'll grab a pict later today.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wow, it looks like a pirates loot! Did you discover it by following a scrunched up, brown paper map until you arrived at a large X? Looks like a plasma cutter and mill drill will be soon sharing projects with a lathe! 😄👍🏼

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
Tap/die set, there's a normal sized die/wrench for comparison. Notice how deep and thick these are. My, what big dies for such small threads...

Wood Audio equipment Gas Auto part Motor vehicle

1st pass over toolboxes pulling out files, punches and measuring tools. A few drills shown, many more remaining along with taps, dies and HSS bits and a boat load of hex wrenches.

Wood Flooring Automotive design Gas Art

The 1 inch micrometer is sitting on a ground cast steel plate. Thread gauges soaking. Been looking for those.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That’s cool, it’s better than a chest off the bottom of the ocean. 🏴‍☠️
you might need to add a Drill Doctor to the list of plant…

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is that a reference stop on the calliper?
Gas Wood Auto part Composite material Kitchen utensil

And what time of those big dies, are they adjustable? It looks like they have a fixed and sliding set of teeth.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
Is that a reference stop on the calliper?
View attachment 814649
And what time of those big dies, are they adjustable? It looks like they have a fixed and sliding set of teeth.
Yes, several of the large calipers are like that. Friction wheel with fine screw adjustment. With this particular one, the adjustment screw threaded hole needs a tap clean out. Once the soaking thread gauges free up, I'll size it and find a matching tap. This will be fun to tap, the little ball would need to come off to disassemble it but it looks peened over and refused to move by hand. I fear scaring up the ball to get to unscrew it.

And, yes. The big dies have some amount of adjustment. The two opposing teeth can slide in/out and there's a large threaded ring on the backside. They need a good soak in Evapo-Rust. Off to Home Depot today to find the right sizes soaking containers.

301 - 312 of 312 Posts