Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Finished (so he says) trenching. Only one (little) mishap. LOL. Neighbor was late arriving and had not showed up yet. Panic was setting it to get everything done. Hand dug and found the propane line, 12 inches down, running diagonal about two feet across trench path. This took forever (I'm really too old for this) and I decided to clear out the near and far sides of the line with the backhoe (wait for it). Near went fine, must have spaced out on the far and the next thing I know, curled up and hooked the line with a tooth and out she comes like a snake...

Luckily, the ends crimped shut but could smell the propane so jumped off the backhoe, shutdown the tractor as I passed it and ran to the propane tank to shut it off. I could just kick myself all that work to find and clear the propane line only to rip it out being impatient and tired. :) Of course, the wife drives up 5 mins later after ripping it out and says, "I smell propane...". Hahahaha.

Moral, if you can see it, the backhoe will try to eat it. LOL. Propane repair guys coming in the morning. Downstair gas HVAC is off, gas hot water heater is off. Only thing else is stove. Hauled the dinky electric oil radiator up from the garage for some pathetic heat downstairs. The 80K BTU torpedo stays down at the garage. Don't want to complete the cycle and become a statistic.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Propane line fixed, they hard soldered everything together. Then did a pressure test along with good old soap/bubble test, both passed. Then they purged HVAC and water heater, made sure HVAC came up and relight pilot light on water heater and waited for it to come alive. Stove top was easy, turn knob, burner lights up. So, that mess cleaned up. Waiting on the bill... :)

2-1/2 inch sch 80 conduit is in, no problems with bending it along the curve. 1st inspection is tomorrow. Then the rain came poring down and the lower trench started to fill. Had to fiddle with sump pump, all the screws holding the base were loose and would not tighten. Replaced them with slightly larger ones and cleaned the inlet slots. Now she pumps like crazy and good thing, the water was up about 12 inches and the PVC conduit floated. I guess that means no leaks, hahhah.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Note to self, get replacement muck boots. I had a nice pair but my feet magically increased from 11-1/2 to 13's last year. No wonder my feet where hurting. Not sure why but it seems once you get above 60, things start increasing except for the important appendage, that of course starts shrinking. LOL.

Should be sunny and in the 60's today to Thursday, then more rain. Will grab some picts of the progress. 1st inspection should be this morning, that should be fun. The electrical guys said I should toss some conduit in the trench, while it's open. That's the plan.

Was reviewing possibilities. Have to pop the cover on the cable junction box to see how large the opening is going to the crawlspace. I installed that part but can't remember (mr goldfish again) how much space is there. This box would be prefect, there's a punch out at the bottom, tap that, dive into ground, over a few feet and into trench. Only thing in the way is cable line to house and I know where that is. And yes, the backhoe will NOT be involved in the digging. :) If that does not have room, then will have to place another junction box and punch a hole. Want three runs of solid cat-5, I'm well within the 100m limits. One for network, one for phone, one for a spare. Have a few 1000 foot boxes of it, left over from wiring up house.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I always add an extra conduit or 2 beyond the immediate plan. I use 1 1/4" for aux power and 1" for cable/ethernet. And maybe a 1" waterline (below power). It is a lot easier than digging a new trench in a few years.......

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Patched propane line, patch is near top of picture. I'm afraid to touch it. ;) LOL. Cone is mine, have two and knew they would come in handy.

The electrical conduit run, starting house side. There should be a 12x12 junction box instead of a straight run into the meter/combo. Can't splice from the large gauge that will be used in the conduit to smaller (to fit in 125A breaker) inside the meter/combo box. That is unless you use the special $75 each crimp on adapters. Google says. :) Bonus point if you can find the cat, lol.

Past first 45 sweep to next 45 sweep.

Down the long leg.

Past the tee for the sump pump.

Shop side looking back to house.

And into the shop. Notice the mud daubers construction zone. A never ending game with them around here. Also notice the water stain on the conduit. The water reached that point while the sump pump was being fixed. The hole for the extension cord will be converted to a future exterior outlet.

Inside shop.

Stadium seating for watching the action. :) Ignore the mess along the far wall, overdue for a recycling run.

No electrical work today, the wire they ordered will not arrive until the afternoon. So they pushed a day. Bummer :(

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Finally got the brain storm to run a 20 foot extension cord to sump pump back to shop, then I can turn it on and off without having to march through the red mud and get 2 inches taller as it sticks like glue to the bottom of the shoes. D'uh... Our Carolina red clay is like baby poo when gets wet, gets everywhere, and does not want to come off.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
I'd recommend running multi mode fiber - you can pick up two 100m lengths from Amazon for pennies (relative to digging again) and that will really future proof the "tech" side of your shop connectivity. I had two pair of multimode fiber run with the power to my attached garage sub panel install. (I used LC/LC terminations).

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Kennyd

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
Unpredictable Disposition
13,610 Posts
I hate to ask, but what are the Bonus Points for finding the cat?

Question. How long has the hose-reel been in that location?

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
13,610 Posts
Bonus kittens?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Found her :) Bonus points, a pat on the head ? Scratch behind the ears ? lol.

The hose reel was just moved there a few days ago for digging trench and meter/combo access. It normally sat between the meter/combo and solar shutoff panel. So about 4-5 feet to right.

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
cat is behind the green chair. :)

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
13,610 Posts
Reactions: MattL

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
13,610 Posts
sdavilla, are you certain there are enough red stickers on the electrical boxes??? o_O

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
13,610 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
13,610 Posts
My cat, Mr. Biggs (short for Bigglesworth) would not be caught between a glider and a wall. It make no sense to him.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
She's actually on the far side of the glider. Which has its own story. It belonged to my wife's grandmother and is quite old. Restored and power coated. There are two chairs just peaking out the front of the glider and a three-legged short table. All also restored and power coated.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
sdavilla, are you certain there are enough red stickers on the electrical boxes??? o_O
Yea, the solar guys were really paranoid about the power feeding back to the panel. The solar converter will not provide power to the panel unless it senses a stable 60Hz line voltage. It syncs to that. There's also a 120V outlet that will only be enabled if the main power drops out. Even then, you have to press a switch to turn it on. Also not sure why the solar power shutoff box was required (right of meter/combo panel), one can disconnect the solar feed three other ways within two feet or less of the panel. 1) pop panel cover and throw the 40A breaker (two moves). 2) Throw switch on array DC feed to converter (one move), 3) shutdown converter (one move).

This area is a wiring eye sore, causes my OCD to really twitch. The phone box needs to move to left side of the cable box. Then solar converter can drop down and be level with the meter/combo panel. I already moved the 120V outlet to make room for the cable box. One day, I'll shorten the flex conduit. That waits until the phone box moves and solar converter drops as that will make the run even shorter. Item number 482 on the todo list. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Here's yesterdays solar power generation report.

And totals since installed.

2015 is low because of when it was installed. Notice the total power drop off over the years. Solar array aging or tree growth or the sun is dying :) This year should be break even point on the install cost.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts