Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The older I get and the problem with my legs I don't want to walk around and pick up sticks after winter, I don't want to rake the gravel back into the driveway either. So I am thinking about a broom. I looked at the echo PAS system with a paddle but it runs around 800$. Called my salesman and to get a Deere 52" for my 1025R I would spend around 3200$ I have the quick hitch but don't have the drive shaft and other pieces I need. To move it up to the 60"HD on the 1025R is over 4000$. Just on happen chance I asked about my 2038R and found out they offer a complete package for the new 2038R through "Whole Goods" I can get around 5000$. That is for the complete setup. I do not have the front hitch so that is the complete front 3pt hitch and a 60"HD broom and all I need to hook it up. I know it is a lot of money and wifey is not sold on the idea but...I have about 4 acres I mow and to walk it and pick up sticks, and put gravel back in its place I think its the way to go. Any imput would help thanks

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
The older I get and the problem with my legs I don't want to walk around and pick up sticks after winter, I don't want to rake the gravel back into the driveway either. So I am thinking about a broom. I looked at the echo PAS system with a paddle but it runs around 800$. Called my salesman and to get a Deere 52" for my 1025R I would spend around 3200$ I have the quick hitch but don't have the drive shaft and other pieces I need. To move it up to the 60"HD on the 1025R is over 4000$. Just on happen chance I asked about my 2038R and found out they offer a complete package for the new 2038R through "Whole Goods" I can get around 5000$. That is for the complete setup. I do not have the front hitch so that is the complete front 3pt hitch and a 60"HD broom and all I need to hook it up. I know it is a lot of money and wifey is not sold on the idea but...I have about 4 acres I mow and to walk it and pick up sticks, and put gravel back in its place I think its the way to go. Any imput would help thanks
:munch:i say if it's gonna make ur life easier--go for it.:bigthumb: give us some pics when u get it-and of course a action shot using it-ok:mocking:

Reactions: gbnpp05 and jdmich

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
:munch:i say if it's gonna make ur life easier--go for it.:bigthumb:
give us some pics when u get it-and of course a action shot using it-ok:mocking:
Possibly, you can think outside the box,,,
How big is the area that you want to pick up sticks from??

The tool I used for a one acre lawn was a hay rake,,, it was shockingly great at windrowing sticks,,,.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

The tool I used for a one acre lawn was a hay rake,,, it was shockingly great at windrowing sticks,,,.
That's what I am thinking. Or contractor rake. I use the contractor rake to clean up my field with woods. Rake it to a row then use the FEL or grapple to pick them up. Surprisingly efficient.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
12,681 Posts

in my mind ur talking about an old steel wheel side rake.:laugh: yeah-that would maybe work on sticks-but what about gravel:dunno:
don't think the tines are close enough for gravel-no matter if ya went over it a 100 times.:laugh:

Reactions: em14 and ky_shawn

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
Pay two local kids $100 each to pick up sticks and rake. You can do that for the next 25 years for the cost of that broom.
:nunu:that talk just sounds like my wife talking:laugh: always wanting to keep me from buying stuff. :nunu:around here u wouldn't find any kid willing to work like that anymore-nope.:munch:

·
Registered
23,320 Posts
:nunu:that talk just sounds like my wife talking:laugh: always wanting to keep me from buying stuff. :nunu:around here u wouldn't find any kid willing to work like that anymore-nope.:munch:
The same here - no kids around here anyway.

But I see drifterbike’s point. I am always looking for ways to get stuff done around here that is getting harder and harder. Up until a couple years ago Mrs. C would do a stick pickup round before I mowed each time but she can’t do it anymore. But still need to do a stick patrol before every mowing. Spring is the worst - I picked up 1.5 tractor buckets full just around the house the other day.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
$5000 would be a hard pill for me to swallow, but that's just me. Seems you could maybe use a 3PH landscape rake and just shorten up the top link so it isn't so aggressive. You could also angle it to create a windrow effect. I could see that working for getting the gravel back onto your driveway too.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
What options are there for a 3point rear broom? I often discover things I want for my loader or to attach to front of tractor ends up costing WAY more than the rear 3 point option. It may not work as well as a broom on the front but your not going to be using this thing daily or even weekly I assume.

·
Registered
387 Posts
The deere brooms show up on Craigslist once in a while. They run about $1000 without a quick hitch. There was a 52 broom from a 1026r for sale in the NJ area recently.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What options are there for a 3point rear broom? I often discover things I want for my loader, or to attach to front of tractor ends up costing WAY more than the rear 3 point option. It may not work as well as a broom on the front but your not going to be using this thing daily or even weekly I assume.
The three point Brooms start at 5000.00 same has the complete kit for the 2038. I figure then that I can just add a blade if I want. beside I don't want to have to turn around and look backwards doing 4 acres. I check out the 3pt brooms and the best deal is thru Everything Attachments.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The three point Brooms start at 5000.00 same has the complete kit for the 2038. I figure then that I can just add a blade if I want. beside I don't want to have to turn around and look backwards doing 4 acres. I check out the 3pt brooms and the best deal is thru Everything Attachments.
I never would have guessed the rear brooms would cost around the same money as the complete setup for the front would. Dang things are expensive! Useful I'm sure but for this kind of money it better be!

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
:munch:i say if it's gonna make ur life easier--go for it.:bigthumb: give us some pics when u get it-and of course a action shot using it-ok:mocking:
Agree with Bigjim,,,,,,think if it makes it easier go for it.

Not to hijake your post but I’m thinking about something in the same line. A lot of gravel in the lawn this year due to the amount of plowing snow this year. I need a new string trimmer this year, so been thinking about buying a Stihl with the changeable attachments. Buddy has one with string trimmer,blower and pole pruner and love it. I am a Stihl fan anyway so I been thinking about get one with the rubber paddle broom attachment. Motor, string head and paddle broom head is $600. I’ve heard that the rubber paddle broom does a great job on lawns sweeping the gravel out. It usually takes me almost two days to rake the gravel so if the paddle broom works as good as I’ve heard then it would be worth it. Anyone have one or seen how they Work?

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Here's a better solution to the OP's dilemma. Just do what I now do more often than not. I look at what has to be done. Then I ask myself "if I do nothing will it lower my property value". If the answer is "NO" then I simply say "Ah screw this" & I walk away from it. I've never had a situation where I found that a problem was going to lower my property value.

:lolol:

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Drifterbike, I'm my normal way of being a cheap skate, I did a little looking. There seems to be a lot of pull behind rakes, etc. for use behind a 4 wheeler or side by side. Some of them simply require a 2" receiver.....and they are a A LOT cheaper. I saw several with different tine configurations too, so maybe something might be netter suited to your uses over something else.:unknown: As I sit here in day 6 of nursing a thrown out back, I totally understand wanting something front mounted. Seeing how my back went out while turning around to look at my rear blade.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
The deere brooms show up on Craigslist once in a while. They run about $1000 without a quick hitch. There was a 52 broom from a 1026r for sale in the NJ area recently.
Funny you mention this. I was on the hunt for a broom for a year and a half. I was hunting on CL and rural shoppers. Nothing close, and those within a "reasonable" distance were rough. The week after I signed the purchased contract, wouldn't you know it that one was posted about 30 miles away...exactly what I was looking for. About half of new.:unknown:

·
Registered
23,320 Posts
Agree with Bigjim,,,,,,think if it makes it easier go for it.

Not to hijake your post but I’m thinking about something in the same line. A lot of gravel in the lawn this year due to the amount of plowing snow this year. I need a new string trimmer this year, so been thinking about buying a Stihl with the changeable attachments. Buddy has one with string trimmer,blower and pole pruner and love it. I am a Stihl fan anyway so I been thinking about get one with the rubber paddle broom attachment. Motor, string head and paddle broom head is $600. I’ve heard that the rubber paddle broom does a great job on lawns sweeping the gravel out. It usually takes me almost two days to rake the gravel so if the paddle broom works as good as I’ve heard then it would be worth it. Anyone have one or seen how they Work?
I vote you should go for it. My reason - we used to rake the gravel back in the spring also but now....no way either of us can use any long handle tools. If/when you get to that point you will have those tools to help you.

Over the years I have read a few posts about the Stihl Combi system and all had great reviews. I remember one person said they used the hedge trimmer attachment as a heavy duty weed trimmer - makes sense.

My issue is not only my legs but my arms. I can’t run any small gas engine equipment for more than a couple minutes. Even after those couple minutes I will loose use of my hands for the rest of the day. What worked for me last year was my cordless electric pole saw. Only vibration is from the chain itself going through the woods. I was able to use it every day for months last summer working on my huge fallen tree. So I plan on a blower and trimmer in the future.

I see that Stihl is coming out with a bunch of cordless electric stuff the past couple years. I think this is the future of small outdoor equipment. The batteries and power of the tools has come a long way the past few years. I’m all for them now.

Off now to look/drool at some Stihl cordless stuff.....

·
Registered
363 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts