Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to expand my search from a 4066R to a 4720 as well. The used 4066R just aren't worth what they are asking, and I don't really want to spend $53K on a new one.

I found a 2013 4720 at a local dealer. Cab model, 1300 hours, self leveling loader and rear SCV. Theyre asking $29,900 which seems to be a little lower than what they are asking for on TractorHouse.

The ball joints on the rear 3pt are rusty, like they've never been used. The loader bucket is pretty worn, so I'm guessing it spent most of it's life doing loader work.

My other option is a unit 500 miles away. 2007, cab, 700 hrs, rear SCV, $32,500.

What do I need to to be careful of with used 4720s?

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I'm going to expand my search from a 4066R to a 4720 as well. The used 4066R just aren't worth what they are asking, and I don't really want to spend $53K on a new one.

I found a 2013 4720 at a local dealer. Cab model, 1300 hours, self leveling loader and rear SCV. Theyre asking $29,900 which seems to be a little lower than what they are asking for on TractorHouse.

The ball joints on the rear 3pt are rusty, like they've never been used. The loader bucket is pretty worn, so I'm guessing it spent most of it's life doing loader work.

My other option is a unit 500 miles away. 2007, cab, 700 hrs, rear SCV, $32,500.

The 2013 sounds like a better buy

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
pretty good tractors....i assume you know the usual stuff...

beyond the usual......if it shows a lot of loader work look the front end seals and tie rods closely for leaks and wear.......if it has done a lot of heavy PTO work the PTO clutches are at risk hard to field test but make sure PTO works....

i always try to start in gear...and or off the seat to see if any of those switchs have been disabled ...and test all electrical functions ...

i dont know your specific usages but i would want one with the 3rd function on the loader for sure...and extra rear scv if possible

i have half a eye open for one myself to replace my 4500

·
Administrator
18,798 Posts
I believe in 2011 there was major changes to the hydraulics, for sure it was true for the 3-series and I'm pretty sure the 4-series too. So, I'd stick with one newer than 2011 myself.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts

I would stay away from the older 4720's.They had coolant leak problems where the water pump mounts to the front cover (sealant problem). As was stated earlier stay in the 2011 and up. That is when they switched to the electro-hydraulic SVC's with the 3rd SVC on the joystick(thumb). On a cabbed one you can get up to 5 rear SVC's plus power beyond. I know because I have all of them, and very glad I do.

If I were you I would see what the dealer would charge you for adding all of the rest of the SVC's,and put it in the financing. An Added bonus, no emissions. The 2011-2014 years of the 4720 are just about bullet proof. The MSL 440R loader is an improvement over the H180 in the retention of the park stand when on the tractor. , On my H180 the park bar bangs up and down on top of the front bumper, they have eliminated that with extra cleats on the grill/brush guard casting, and the parking stand.

I will say that if the right deal came along on a 4066, I wouldn't waste a second on pulling the trigger. I my self prefer the 4720. My last mod will be finding a way to split the rear 3rd SVC so I don't have to hook and unhook my 3rd SVC hoses in the back for the front grapple, when I want to use the 3rd out back for something else.

Allen.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
What year did the 4720's get hit with tier 1,2,3,4,..?

:zip:

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
What year did the 4720's get hit with tier 1,2,3,4,..?

:zip:

The 2014 4066R was the first 4 series with TierIV. That is what mine is.

Dave

Reactions: ttazzman

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The 2014 4066R was the first 4 series with TierIV. That is what mine is.

Dave
Did they lead up to 4 with a 1,2,3....or how did it go.

Straight to 4?

I honestly don't know and the info is hard to find.

I wish tractor data would publish this as it is a spec one might be looking for.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Did they lead up to 4 with a 1,2,3....or how did it go.

Straight to 4?

I honestly don't know and the info is hard to find.

I wish tractor data would publish this as it is a spec one might be looking for.

:cheers:
The 4720 ended up at interim tier 4, which for engines less than 75 horsepower, meant no DEF and no DPF.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
The 4720 ended up at interim tier 4, which for engines less than 75 horsepower, meant no DEF and no DPF.
So what dose it have?

How do you find this info? ...perhaps you own this particular tractor...idk ( i see you do )

So there is No regen on this model?

Its gotta have something but maybe less invasive than similar later/newer models of a Different model #.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
4066 on machinefinder

I found this one on Machinefinder. 2018 John Deere 4066R - Compact Utility Tractors - John Deere MachineFinder. You don't say where you are from, so I thought I would post this for you. Not too bad a deal, lots of extras on this one.

MSL 440R
front fenders
rear fender extension
Mirrors
deluxe brush guard
diverted 4th & 5th
rear weights
bucket tooth bar
heavy duty bucket
2018 15 hrs
I-Match quick hitch

A little high for a 2018, but should be some room to move, but I would add the 3rd joystick svc no matter what, and 4th & 5th independent, maybe even power beyond.

This one just screams customer order, that they backed out of. If I didn't have a 4720, I'd be dealing hard and see what happens. Even if you had to ship it. Plenty of cheep shipping out there, even a section on here. Should have 0% on it too

Allen.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Based on the previous few posts...I'd prefer the 4720.

Thats just me.

That 4066 is Beautifull...with all its T4 goodness.

Still unclear exactly what emissions were on the last year 2014 of the 4720

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Based on the previous few posts...I'd prefer the 4720.

Thats just me.

That 4066 is Beautifull...with all its T4 goodness.

Still unclear exactly what emissions were on the last year 2014 of the 4720
No emissions, just computer controlled, and designed to run on only ultra low sulfur diesel. Interim Tier IV as explained to me. Think modern car that has all the normal sensors, just no cat, just manifold, pipe, muffler, tail pipe.

Allen.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
No emissions, just computer controlled, and designed to run on only ultra low sulfur diesel. Interim Tier IV as explained to me. Think modern car that has all the normal sensors, just no cat, just manifold, pipe, muffler, tail pipe.

Allen.
I've not heard any disscussion on this.... But I like it vs full on T4

Can you NOT use off Road Diesel in any of the T4 machines or this interim t4 you explain above..?

and/Or ...does Off-Road Diesel.... qualify as ultra low sulfur diesel?.

I'm a bit confussed by all this and trying to absorb all good intel on the matter.

It ( off-road D) exist in Oregon......dyed Red..( road tax exempt)..Not sure if this is a nation wide thing or not.

Thanks for the education.. :good2:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the responses....

The 4720 I'm looking at, is out on rental this week...ARGH! It's supposed to be back Monday. In the mean time, the dealer is coming out to value my trade (4600, 460 loader, 655 hrs, rear scv, tranny and block heaters).

I'd love a 4066R, but they are asking way too much for the used ones. I've been looking for 6 months now almost, and inventory just seems to be growing. I've only seen 1 used one disappear, and he was actually asking a pretty fair price, and that one still sat around for 3 months. And frankly with the age of the 4066r series, I'd probably just wait another couple years for the model line refresh if I were going to buy new.

I think the best bet is to get a decent 4720 and keep it around for 10 years, then re-evaluate. I bought my 4600 18 years ago with 150 hours on it. I'd be keeping it if it wasn't for me getting old and wanting heat and AC.

The 4720 I'm looking at already has a 3rd rear SCV on the loader stick. The dealer quoted $2K to plumb that to the front of the loader and add the 4th and 5th SCV.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I've not heard any disscussion on this.... But I like it vs full on T4

Can you NOT use off Road Diesel in any of the T4 machines or this interim t4 you explain above..?

and/Or ...does Off-Road Diesel.... qualify as ultra low sulfur diesel?.

I'm a bit confussed by all this and trying to absorb all good intel on the matter.

It ( off-road D) exist in Oregon......dyed Red..( road tax exempt)..Not sure if this is a nation wide thing or not.

Thanks for the education.. :good2:
Off Road diesel is no different than on-road that you buy at the pump, except it has red dye in it because you are not paying the road taxes on it. A pretty hefty fine if they stop you when driving your diesel on-road vehicle and it has red dye in it. All the diesel is ULSD now which is required on the new 4 series. I don't know about the 4720. Because it is ULSD, you need to add a treatment to it.

Dave

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just recently went through a similar search however with a 3320. I sold my 1025R (purchased new) to upgrade to a 3R series. I was willing to pull the trigger on a new 3R but was struggling justifying the cost vs how often I'll actually use the machine. I started looking for something that had all the features I was looking for but just about everything in decent shape with low hours was only a few thousand less than new. I didn't want anything with more than 500 hours and it had to have documented service history.

What I found was a 350 hour machine with out FEL. only ever used to mow a field, "mostly" garage kept with service history. Having the T of my TLB I was able to find decently used 300CX and 448 BH within a few weeks to complete my package. All said and done I'm below half the price of a new machine.

Sure I'd like a shiny new machine but saving 25-30K and actually owning my machine out right makes up for it.

My advice is to explore the possibility of getting the base machine and adding what you want to it.

Tractor 7.5K
Loader 3K
BH 3.5K
Accessories 2K

16K all in

20190806_150553.jpg
20190806_150536.jpg

·
Registered
799 Posts
My 4720 has been a good machine except it's now in the shop for a slipping PTO. My 2010 model year has the John Deere engine, I think it was switched to Yanmar (or Kubota, I forgot) in a year or two newer models. I prefer controlling SCVs with levers and cables, less to go wrong.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was at a dealership in Turtle Lake WI yesterday. They had a 2016 4066R with 100 hours for $35900. Tractor was from University of Minnesota.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
My 4720 has been a good machine except it's now in the shop for a slipping PTO. My 2010 model year has the John Deere engine, I think it was switched to Yanmar (or Kubota, I forgot) in a year or two newer models. I prefer controlling SCVs with levers and cables, less to go wrong.
The 4720 always had the John Deere Powertech 2.4 engine. The 4720 was replaced by the 4066r, which got a Yanmar engine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts