Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone shortened the ROPS on the 1025R? I was looking at mine the other day. They would still be above my head. This would allow them to lay all the way back and not interfere with the 3 point, etc.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Lots of people talk about it. Some have done it. Odds are if it was done they know how to weld and did it themselves. Odds are you will have a really hard time finding a welding shop willing to take the liability. Not saying it will be impossible but more will say no than will say yes.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,811 Posts
Would make for a hard resell. If I were to cut one I'd have a new one or new top half to replace the cut one when and if....

·
Registered
717 Posts
You will give up a bunch of rollover head protection. As I posted in another recent thread, take a long board and rest it running from the top of the ROPS in the rear, to the top of the grille guard in the front. Then look at the clearance between your head and the board when you are in the seat. That will be the potential space between your head and the ground. There is not nearly as much as you think. If you do this, just never use your seatbelt, and pray that you will be thrown free. The few people who have posted their personal experiences with a rollover have said that it happens so fast that they have no reaction time.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I shortened mine so I could get in my house garage. Welded better than original.

rob

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have, I can go in and out from a standard garage door . Even mounted a canopy on mine. Mine slanted forwards., newer roll bar.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I needed it to be a tool I could use -- and my house is brick and expensive to fix. I have all my life insurance paid up, so my wife would be ok.

rob

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
I just got an incline meter that I am installing tomorrow.

rob

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I shortened the ROPS on my 1025R by 6 inches to clear a standard garage door. Since I am a short person, it caused no problems.

Dave

·
Registered
576 Posts
Funny thought, here in GTT we always say “report back with your findings”

most likely, we’ll never hear back from anybody who shortens the ROPS and does flip

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
ClydeLogan,
I not saying stuff don't happen. I'm going by my knowledge. After building roads, to leveling land among other stuff for 16 years before becoming a linemen. I think I have some experience on equipment. I have had people tell me the wire is dead, then I show them they ain't to smart. The wire only has 4,800 volts plus more depending on which wire may have fallen. I know my job and my equipment very well.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Would make for a hard resell. If I were to cut one I'd have a new one or new top half to replace the cut one when and if....
If I were to sell my 1025r I would replace the top section to restore it to specs.

rob

·
Registered
194 Posts
ClydeLogan,
I not saying stuff don't happen. I'm going by my knowledge. After building roads, to leveling land among other stuff for 16 years before becoming a linemen. I think I have some experience on equipment. I have had people tell me the wire is dead, then I show them they ain't to smart. The wire only has 4,800 volts plus more depending on which wire may have fallen. I know my job and my equipment very well.
On the flip side do you get in the bucket without your harness on or or start work without your gloves or or test for voltage or not wear a hardhat and safety glasses? I’m betting not.

·
Registered
717 Posts
ClydeLogan,
I'm not questioning your abilities. You have decades more equipment experience than my six years. But in the back of my mind is a possibility where an inexperienced person gets on a tractor, and that includes me. A shortened ROPS isn't really reversible, and I realize you only chopped it a few inches. I worked at a trauma hospital in an agricultural region of Minnesota, and have seen bad things happen to experienced farmers. And now you've got me thinking back about all the snowmobile accidents too.... I only saw one gunshot wound in those four years, but the farm accidents were an eye opener and happened at least daily.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
MKE-1025r
Yes I did get in the bucket without a harness on. They only required that my last year of work, never had flame retarded clothes just 100% cotton in them days.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
A folding ROPS was developed so it can be shortened for low height areas. Is it so difficult to stop, rotate the ROPS, and then drive into the garage? My 4200 has a solid ROPS and cannot be rotated. I need to be careful and cognisant of where I travel. I have ag tractors without a ROPS and many times wish I had a ROPS. Luckily I never rolled a tractor. And using a seat belt...just like in an auto/truck it is second nature to buckle up.

Just sayin'.......

·
Registered
192 Posts
ROPS usage I think is very comparable to the ballast weight discussions. If I am using my 1025r on level ground and not lifting anything, what do the ROPS offer me? I am fortunate enough that my barn door is plenty tall, but my garage and animal barn isn't. I tend to have my ROPs up until I need to go into a building that I have to have them down. Then they are down until I am doing any heavy lifting or driving on any slopes.

The way I look at the ROPS is yes they are there to save your life in a roll over. But I also don't use my seat belt every time im on the tractor. shortened ROPS are better than no ROPS. I get annoyed at the rattle of the ROPS when they are up. I get annoyed at the ROPS being in the way when folded down. I have considered making a shortened ROPS or make the ROPS so they can be stored in a more forward or backward angle that stays out of the way of the 3 pt but is lower than my garage doors.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts