Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried everything I care to try for traps, baits, and other methods.
The Moles are wreaking havoc on our place.

I want to build a Shotgun Mole Trap
If anyone has a simple, proven design, I need to build one or two.
Share with me your design.
Private message me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I can't help but I feel your pain. Took me many tries to catch a mole one summer. I have much better luck with Gophers.

Reactions: mark02tj

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
My neighbor made one years ago. It uses a 12 ga shell. He’s very protective of it and only uses it on gophers that he can’t catch with a regular cinch trap. He’s also very careful that if he deploys it that none of the neighbors have kids playing around who may get into his field and find it.

As for moles, I just watch and if I catch them digging, I walk up quietly and shoot my shotgun straight down the hole when they’re pushing dirt up. Problem solved.

Reactions: flyweight and rtgt

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Have you tried the molecat? My neighbor has one, has had good luck with it:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Guess I'm lucky. I have a dog that can hear them digging outside from inside the house. Turn her loose and it's over in seconds. Biggest problem is she loves to show off her trophies.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got many a mole with a 12ga. The problem with that, is you have to monitor the mounds for movement.
I want to set it, forget it ,and get it, and go on about other things.
The Molecat is probably a good way to go about eradicating, but a Benjamin can be better served elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I considered looking into a piece of flex-pipe, long enough to go from the tractor exhaust pipe, to the hole. Maybe do a little HVAC work/
I have heard that this method does not do much.
Has anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Our neighbor has had issues with moles all summer. It's hilarious because the moles stop digging at the property line and stay in his yard. I did some digging (no pun intended) and found out that moles LOVE sod, which is what his yard is. He hired a professional company to get rid of his moles and was telling me for every mole they get, it's $50.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I considered looking into a piece of flex-pipe, long enough to go from the tractor exhaust pipe, to the hole. Maybe do a little HVAC work/
I have heard that this method does not do much.
Has anyone else tried this?
I've heard of this working, have to run the engine for quite a while though. The other thing I've seen, if they are away from your house/outbuildings is dispersing propane in their tunnels and igniting it. Gotta have a pretty good idea where they are though, you can seriously damage your foundation if they tunnel next to your house.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard of this working, have to run the engine for quite a while though. The other thing I've seen, if they are away from your house/outbuildings is dispersing propane in their tunnels and igniting it. Gotta have a pretty good idea where they are though, you can seriously damage your foundation if they tunnel next to your house.
I may try the exhaust from the tractor. It would be a cheap test.
The propane, I thought of that too. But after watching a video of some guy blowing up his sidewalk, that's not something I would want to try.

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
Guess I'm lucky. I have a dog that can hear them digging outside from inside the house. Turn her loose and it's over in seconds. Biggest problem is she loves to show off her trophies.
Does she perform "Contract Hits" on demand? I have Milk Bones and a whole line of premium dog biscuits for compensation. I am even willing to pay "per hit"......Plus even a Gift Card to Chewy.com if she can solve my problem.........My dogs aren't interested, they spend too much time watching Fox Business Network......

·
Premium Member
10,019 Posts
I've got many a mole with a 12ga. The problem with that, is you have to monitor the mounds for movement.
I want to set it, forget it ,and get it, and go on about other things.
The Molecat is probably a good way to go about eradicating, but a Benjamin can be better served elsewhere.
I have now shot 3 moles with my carry weapon. When mowing, I would run over their tunnels and sometimes, but not very often, I see the tunnel opening back up when I am on the return pass. Stop, execute, pick up the shell casing. Return to mowing. I leave the carcass as a warning to others, sort of like Vito Corleone did..............

But I am losing the battle. If you miss the narrow treatment time to kill the grubs, which is in June I think, then its purely traps or extermination. For years, they would reach my property and turn around and go back to the neighbors as there was no grubs. I only had to treat the 50' perimeter around the property and it kept them out. Last years mild winter seems to have really rejuvenated them. Time for another plan.........Yea, its a Benjamin, but those dang things irritate me so its worth it to me to be rid of them. No way I am paying $50 per......

Moles hate vibrtation and they hate continous frequency noises. One way to help locate them in an area active with tunnels is to use a lawn roller and flatten the tunnels. Then, park the mower with the engine running in their most active area and stand there and watch closely. The vibration will make them move, usually away from the mower. Then, it's a Black Talon to the moving mound and NEXT.........

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have now shot 3 moles with my carry weapon. When mowing, I would run over their tunnels and sometimes, but not very often, I see the tunnel opening back up when I am on the return pass. Stop, execute, pick up the shell casing. Return to mowing. I leave the carcass as a warning to others, sort of like Vito Corleone did..............

But I am losing the battle. If you miss the narrow treatment time to kill the grubs, which is in June I think, then its purely traps or extermination. For years, they would reach my property and turn around and go back to the neighbors as there was no grubs. I only had to treat the 50' perimeter around the property and it kept them out. Last years mild winter seems to have really rejuvenated them. Time for another plan.........Yea, its a Benjamin, but those dang things irritate me so its worth it to me to be rid of them. No way I am paying $50 per......

Moles hate vibrtation and they hate continous frequency noises. One way to help locate them in an area active with tunnels is to use a lawn roller and flatten the tunnels. Then, park the mower with the engine running in their most active area and stand there and watch closely. The vibration will make them move, usually away from the mower. Then, it's a Black Talon to the moving mound and NEXT.........
Wow, a Black Talon? I’d never waste one of the last box I have on a mole. I’d find cheaper ammo. The politically correct police forced Winchester to change them because they were convinced they were made to kill black people. What a crock!

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
It might be more effective to kill the grubs they're eating. If there is no food for them, they won't be there in the first place. Merit solved all the mole problems I and my neighbor were having. Apply at the right time following the label instructions. Merit 0.5 G Insecticide Granules

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
I use car exhaust to kill them.

rob

·
Super Moderator
2,942 Posts
I've had Tomcat work in as little as 3 days, as long as 14 days, with an average of 7-10 days. But nobody believes me.

Reactions: Herminator and Kbar

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I got a big one just the other day with my hand gun. I just finished tromping down all the mole's tunnels and then mowed. I had no sooner parked the mower and walked over to inspect and saw the mole working. Biggest mole I have ever seen. I also have a mole cat and I have had great success with them.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts