Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was greasing the fittings and after 45min of removal of the rubber boot (Clamp screw was against the frame) for the front driveshaft the fitting was in the wrong location to grease. So knowing the lever was in two wheel drive I attempted to rotate the shaft, but it acts as if it's in front wheel drive. SO I had the wife come out and push the lever back and forth (2-4 wheel) and tried to hand rotate the shaft (NOT) I would expect it t rotate when not in gear. I drove it into the garage in 2 wheel so why is it hung up?

I also found the snap ring for the front drive shaft (under the rubber boot) out of it groove

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,715 Posts
Blake is 100% correct. The driveshaft has no means of a mechanical disconnect to the front wheels. The 4WD lever simply engages the front driveshaft gear within the transmission.

·
Registered
374 Posts
On a truck, which is a reference for many, you have two points of disconnect- at the hubs (or in the axle, like the Chrysler version), and at the transfer case. On a tractor, the only point of disengagement is in the transmission. So, the front driveline- driveshaft, differential, axle shafts, hubs/gears- all turn, all the time.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
So I use jack stands and or floor lift to get mine up off the front wheels, than it makes it easy to turn the driveshaft to get to that zerk.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
On a truck, which is a reference for many, you have two points of disconnect- at the hubs (or in the axle, like the Chrysler version), and at the transfer case. On a tractor, the only point of disengagement is in the transmission. So, the front driveline- driveshaft, differential, axle shafts, hubs/gears- all turn, all the time.
Chrysler gave up on the disconnect thing years ago. My 2001 Wrangler has a live front axle like a tractor. I have since added an old school Warn lockout kit on it.

Now my 1991 Wrangler had a front axle disconnect vacuum servo. It would split the right axle in two. Essentially doing the same thing as jacking up one of the front wheels. This keeps the driveshaft from turning. Just like letting you turn the driveshaft as you describe. On an open differential lifting only one wheel will render the other side useless. So if you get one wheel stuck your done.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The front driveshaft is permanently coupled to the front hubs. It will not turn freely unless the front wheels are off the ground and the front wheel drive is disengaged. It will also turn anytime the front wheels are turning.
So I use jack stands and or floor lift to get mine up off the front wheels, than it makes it easy to turn the driveshaft to get to that zerk.
Which is why it's important to keep that drive shaft greased all the time. One front wheel off the floor is how I do it...

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Which is why it's important to keep that drive shaft greased all the time. One front wheel off the floor is how I do it...

I thought greasing the 4x4 drive shaft was important also, but after going through the trouble of removing the front boot on my 2025R. I discovered there is not a grease fitting on the front 4x4 U joint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts