Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting my faith in you guys not to drive over and pick this thing up before I do. :lol:
I am seriously considering it. I have access to a full machine shop and torches and welders and whatever. What is in the front of these things that would have possibly been damaged? I'm talking important stuff like drivetrain and electronics. I don't care about plastic or bent tubing. How are the older diesel engines in these machines?

John Deere Gator 6x4 Diesel

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
If you can do the metalwork on the front end as far as frame straightening or replacement, there isn't much else up there. You might need new steering components and that can be expensive, but I believe they're the same as the 4x2. I'm not positive, but pretty sure. All the drivetrain and the like is beneath the bed. The dash area houses basic wiring for the ignition switch, headlight switch, etc. The 'hood' on the front just covers an empty space above the front axle, there actually isn't anything under it.

The bed side looks bent, and I can't see how badly the plastic is damaged from the tree. Maybe it isn't, but it's not cheap to replace. The fenders go for about $90 each, never priced the center section. If the steering is the only thing not working, it could be simple. It could also be a damaged front axle or steer rack assembly, which are fairly expensive. It would need a good going over, and even then I'm not sure it's a super deal. Probably fair, but it looks like a lot of work will be needed to get it driving again.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Offer $1,500.00. I think the person is wrong about the price of the engine, seems really low.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. I was seriously thinking about it. We emailed a bunch of times and he said there were two guys coming over on the weekend. I was at a cub scout campout and said if it was still there Monday to let me know. The ad has been deleted and he never contacted me back, so I guess one of the other guys took it. It was my kind of project too. My 1962 Harley XLH and 1987 Yamaha Banshee both literally came in boxes as "projects" for MUCH cheaper than the sum of their parts. I've had a few other similar projects end up in my garage.

If I'm meant to have one, another one will show up. They always do. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
If I'm meant to have one, another one will show up. They always do. :laugh:
That's how I wound up with our Gator. Saw it posted for sale late one Friday evening, was there with a trailer when the shop opened their doors Saturday morning. Another guy showed up to look at it while I was test driving it. :lol:

I've seen a couple of project Gators show up around here, but they usually end up needing so much work it's not worth buying unless you just need the parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts