Green Tractor Talk banner

Should I buy a 1025r

15K views 70 replies 54 participants last post by  Bill2 
Hi all Deere enthusiasts,

TL/DR- what is the general consensus on subcompact 1025r tractors? Do I need one as a home owner?

I recently moved into my brand new construction home in the northeast. I’m on 6 acres (4 of which upland) set about 1000’ from the road. It’s now just setting in that I have a lot in front of me to set up and maintain the property. I’m considering the 1025r with loader and backhoe at a minimum to clear some more woods, install a lawn, grading, snow removal etc. With packages being quoted at around $30k I’m hesitant to pull the trigger if it’s more machine than I need. Any advice or help in making the call would be greatly appreciated!
I ordered my 1025r tractor/loader/backhoe in January and suffered until April going into the dealer's showroom and seeing a 2025r TLB there. The backhoe was the necessity. Renting mini exes was out.

Not sure of the "topography" of your land but for me, other than where the original septic bed is there isn't too much level ground.

Bigger is better until it is too big and for me I needed the lower CG of the 1025r. The downside is that the smaller the tractor the less the ground clearance AND the angle of departure of the backhoe and bracket can make it difficult in steeper areas.

Oh and I don't have a truck/trailer big enough for a larger tractor so the 1025r was the machine.

AND are you planning on one machine for grass and snow removal (plow or blade)? (Generally speaking), smaller machines handle undulating grass better and bigger (heavier) machines handle snow better.

The price differences between tractors (x738/758 garden tractor, 1025r subcompact, then 2025r subcompact) are incremental of a couple of grand but each machine has positives and negatives and deserves a good look... as does a decent used tractor of each of those breeds as well as larger 2 and 3 series.

What's best for your land and your wallet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.