Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

Registered
I am on an acre and 1 series is fine. For six acres, if you need more than what 1-series gives you, I would be going to Kubota for the B series. I found JD's 2 series not competitive in price vs features with the B series. And for 6 acres I would be shopping Kubota B. I am ready for all the hate :)

Registered
I'll be the first to say it.....I hate you!馃槀

Premium Member
Should you buy the 1 series?

1. Set a budget total for the tractor and all necessary equipment.

2. Determine which implements and attachments are needed to complete your desired projects.

3. Understand that at best, you can imagine and see only 5 out of 10 of your projects right now......The other projects will become more visible as you learn to operate the tractor and see its capabilities.

4. Plan no more than 70% of your total budget for the tractor purchase as you will need the other 30% for implements, accessories and other equipment necessary to complete the tasks.

5. Take pictures of your property and post them, as that helps us see the terrain and also the condition of the property now. Is the 1,000 driveway paved, gravel or just a two track through a field? Different attachments and implements are needed to maintain each of the options...

And look at what size and types of machinery is in use around your area. These are the best way to start with your decision..............

Registered
I was on the same boat as you few months ago and I have the same property size as you.

In my case, I was considering the 2025R first and almost signed paper on it. (I never considered the 1025R due to the ground clearance)

The JD salesman told me that the 2025R was ok for my needs, but I was afraid to have regrets and lose money upgrading in the future.

After more research, talks with the finance committee, and watching videos from Elk Creek Acres and TTWT, I decided to test drive the 2032/38R at the local JD dealer.

It was very hard to spend more money but the 2038R is just a stronger machine.

I am very happy with my 2038R, no regrets.

If the budget permits consider the 2025R instead of the 1025R, for better ground clearance.

Good luck.

Premium Member
I have 4 acres on the edge of a small town. I started with a 1025R with a 60" deck and FEL no Backhoe. Never thought i would have a use for a BH. The 1025R was a bit small and i worried about it on the hills. I traded up to the 2038R when they came out. a 2038R with a 72" MMM still no backhoe. The reason i passed the BH was then i was 66 and thought i was threw with the heavy work. Then last year we had a real strong storm go through the area and i lost 7 trees. rather than a BH i got a stump grinder. Besides the MMM i use my grapple and pallet forks the most.

Registered
It's definately not more machine than you need. I'd recommend a larger machine actually. The 1025 does most of its work in low gear which is 4.5mph at wide open throttle. It's painfully slow. I do say that a backhoe is worth every penny (y)

Reactions: Merlin and Pigpen

Registered
I use a 3-Series to work on and maintain my 5 mostly wooded acres. I'd step up to at least a 2 series for what you're talking about.

My tractor came with a mid-mount mower. I enjoyed mowing with it, but didn't enjoy removing and reinstalling the Front End Loader when I mowed. I bought a used zero turn a couple summers ago and the mid-mount mower has been off the tractor ever since. And, I don't think I've removed the FEL since then either. The zero turn cut my mowing time in half - plus I really enjoy using it! What I'm trying to say here is this: Before you buy a mower for your tractor, think about if mowing with it is ideal or not. For the same cost as the tractor mower deck, you can buy a decent (maybe used) dedicated mower. But, as SulleyBear said above, post some pictures of your property and that can help the members here help you.

Good luck and congrats on the new property!!

Reactions: SGT-RAM and Pigpen

Registered
2020 1025R
I use a 3-Series to work on and maintain my 5 mostly wooded acres. I'd step up to at least a 2 series for what you're talking about.

My tractor came with a mid-mount mower. I enjoyed mowing with it, but didn't enjoy removing and reinstalling the Front End Loader when I mowed. I bought a used zero turn a couple summers ago and the mid-mount mower has been off the tractor ever since. And, I don't think I've removed the FEL since then either. The zero turn cut my mowing time in half - plus I really enjoy using it! What I'm trying to say here is this: Before you buy a mower for your tractor, think about if mowing with it is ideal or not. For the same cost as the tractor mower deck, you can buy a decent (maybe used) dedicated mower. But, as SulleyBear said above, post some pictures of your property and that can help the members here help you.

Good luck and congrats on the new property!!
I specifically went the compact tractor+mower deck direction because I was tired of dealing with maintaining another gas engine and the consumer grade mowers seem to be mostly disposable after a few seasons these days. I'm down to a single diesel engine on the tractor plus 2 small gas engines on my pressure washer and chainsaw. Everything else has migrated to electric motors. I guess everyone has different requirements and different itches to scratch. :)

Best,

Registered
I have 4 acres. 1 acre of pasture, and mow around 2 acres and I have a pond and lots of driveway and buildings. (no wooded area) my land is mostly flat. there is an area around the pond that does have a slope to it.

I have a 1025r with fel bucket, forks, MMM, ballast box, & now a 7 foot back blade and it does everything i want and more. with that being said if i was able to redo my purchase i would have done things differently.

I would have forgone the MMM. I think buying a decent zero turn would have been much much much better for my property. that would have meant i would have needed a brush hog for the pasture but i think i would still have been even money here. I also would have stepped up to a 2 series and added in several other attachments into the purchase of the tractor. Buying them afterwards stinks considering you could add them in to the 0% interest loan rather than paying for them out of pocket. I thought at the time I wouldn't need any other attachments and boy was i wrong.

The 1025 is an amazing machine that far exceeds expectations in so many ways, but does have some down falls that a 2 series can fix for me. Ground clearance and smoother ride for one.

I dont think you will go wrong with either but someone told me on here once that once you have the 1025, you will eventually want the 2 series. and they aren't wrong. If i had half the property, i probably wouldn't be thinking that way tho. I still would have forgone the MMM and went with a zero turn as It takes me 2.5 hours to mow when I am certain i could have it mowed easily in half that time with a zero turn.

Registered
We live on 12 acres with lots of woods and fields. I had no tractor for two years and got a 1025 this fall. It鈥檚 my first tractor so I had no expectation and I can鈥檛 believe how much this thing can do. It saves us DAYS of time. I wanted something bigger but our property has orchards, rock retaining walls and other obstacles and maneuverability is key. So far no task it couldn鈥檛 tackle it is an absolute beast. Plus it鈥檚 a nice size and easy to operate so that my wife isn鈥檛 intimated by it.

Registered
You've gotten tons of good advice. I'll add that if there are projects in tight spaces or access obstacles that are going to be there ongoing, the 1025R is super good at getting in really tight/small spaces.

I have 5 wooded and hilly acres with wetlands. No mowing -- I mostly plant trees, dig stumps, dig trenches, and lift things with my TLB. I don't see going up in size if I stay on this property but would get a bigger machine (probably a 3 series) if I had more open land or needed to mow acreage.

When I was shopping for my 1025R, I went new because used machines were within just a couple of thousand of new machines. With 0% financing, it was a no brainer to buy new. I got mine this March and the lot was full of new machines. I suspect that's changed significantly.

If I were to someday wish for a larger machine, the resale on these is impressive and it would not be onerous.

Registered
For the work you mention, and as long as you don't plan on hiring this stuff out, then yes you absolutely need a tractor.

I agree with another poster who suggested spending some time living on your property. This will be invaluable in determining which model to get as you learn your land. And I suggest reading the crap out of the forums on this website. I read this board every night for 7 months, watched countless YouTube videos, and lived on my 2 acre property for 4 months before deciding on which tractor and implements to buy. Ended up with a 1025R with loader and bucket, 3rd function, grapple, pallet forks. I had bought a zero turn for mowing basically as soon as I moved into my house so I didn't include a MMM with my package (a decision that was made after reading many posts on this topic).

I've had the tractor for 2 weeks and have 10 hrs on it. I have used each attachment at least 3 times, and I'm surprised how handy the pallet forks are. I cleared a 300' line of 30' tall shrubs (in prep for a new fence) in a matter of 4 days. And my back wasn't killing me at the end of each day. Without the tractor this job would have taken me at least 2-3 weeks of pain and exhaustion, I know bc I did about 50' of the tree line pre-tractor. Thus far I have not needed a different attachment (yet), I think because I was very deliberate about which attachments to buy immediately and which ones could wait.

I went with the 1025R mostly bc it suited my needs/land, but also the dealers I went to didn't even have a 2025R on the lot/didn't know when one would be available. On the other hand, my 1025R was delivered 8 days after signing the papers. Also there was one corner of my lot that I was working on and needed every inch- pretty sure only the 1025R could have fit there, so that's lucky.

And the sticker shock- my wife went from "no way" during our initial conversation, to saying "ok" after realizing I will need it, to already saying "thank goodness we have the tractor" after just 2 weeks of ownership! The financing option certainly helps.

Good luck with your decision!

Registered
For the work you mention, and as long as you don't plan on hiring this stuff out, then yes you absolutely need a tractor.

I agree with another poster who suggested spending some time living on your property. This will be invaluable in determining which model to get as you learn your land. And I suggest reading the crap out of the forums on this website. I read this board every night for 7 months, watched countless YouTube videos, and lived on my 2 acre property for 4 months before deciding on which tractor and implements to buy. Ended up with a 1025R with loader and bucket, 3rd function, grapple, pallet forks. I had bought a zero turn for mowing basically as soon as I moved into my house so I didn't include a MMM with my package (a decision that was made after reading many posts on this topic).

I've had the tractor for 2 weeks and have 10 hrs on it. I have used each attachment at least 3 times, and I'm surprised how handy the pallet forks are. I cleared a 300' line of 30' tall shrubs (in prep for a new fence) in a matter of 4 days. And my back wasn't killing me at the end of each day. Without the tractor this job would have taken me at least 2-3 weeks of pain and exhaustion, I know bc I did about 50' of the tree line pre-tractor. Thus far I have not needed a different attachment (yet), I think because I was very deliberate about which attachments to buy immediately and which ones could wait.

I went with the 1025R mostly bc it suited my needs/land, but also the dealers I went to didn't even have a 2025R on the lot/didn't know when one would be available. On the other hand, my 1025R was delivered 8 days after signing the papers. Also there was one corner of my lot that I was working on and needed every inch- pretty sure only the 1025R could have fit there, so that's lucky.

And the sticker shock- my wife went from "no way" during our initial conversation, to saying "ok" after realizing I will need it, to already saying "thank goodness we have the tractor" after just 2 weeks of ownership! The financing option certainly helps.

Good luck with your decision!
My fiance was not happy when I brought up buying a tractor. Originally I was looking at used old tractors for like 2 to 4k dollars. Then friends and family were trying to talk me into a skid loader for the hydraulic drive. Then I started getting pushed into a hydrostatic driven tractor. A coworker had an LS tractor he was considering selling so I started looking at those and Kubotas. I was like okay so for 12 to 16k I could get one of these. I started talking to her about each of these options and she wasn't happy about the 2 to 4k option as she felt we would end up putting a ton of money into something that old. So we started looking at the 12 to 16 option. She wasn't happy about the cost tho. Then the day I brought up buying a brand new john deere she lost it a little bit. Basically telling me that I was insane and where would this stop? But after I explained the logistics behind it, she understood why I thought new was better.

0% loan versus any interest rate for used. financing thru jd versus finding a lender that will finance a used tractor. having 6 year warranty versus none. the price per month being practically the same.

Now having the tractor almost a year later, she says that its an invaluable tool for us and doesn't think we would be able to live without it. She said its worth every dollar.

Registered
2014 John Deere 1025R
I bought one (1025R), basically because over thinking and too many options was wearing me out. My neighbor bought one for a lawn mower. I know, right? I thought it was silly, a big mower with a front end loader! But, after really looking it over and watching some TTWT videos I added that model to my "watchlist". I did not want one that small. We just moved on to a 11.5 acre property that is probably 9 acres of pasture.

Long story short, I found a great deal locally on a used one with a couple hundred hours after months of looking for a pretty wide open list of several different tractors. I was a bit perturbed that I was having to get such a small one but figured a small tractor is better than a no tractor.

Now that I have it and have put about 20 hours on it. I love the little thing. It does have drawbacks, but mostly based on fact that it takes smaller bites at a time than a larger one would. But, this little thing will do just about everything a big one will do if you respect it's limitations.

I would say, yes you will make good use of it. I'm also in the same mindset of others that say live there a while first. I cleared 550' of fence row and about an acre of badly grown up "woods" where a tornado took out a house trailer. All with a weed eater, chain saw, sling blade (um hum), and a riding lawn mower. Including a couple hundred saplings. Comparing a SCUT to that, they are AMAZING!

We use the heck out of it. My wife uses the 60" MMM while I'm on the zero turn and it really does a good job. I like that she can jump on it and not be intimidated to do some work with it.

Registered
I have roughly 9 acres with about half being forest. I bought a new1025r TLB four years ago. Now it's got a little over 200 hours on it. My property is mostly flat, and like you our driveway is over 1000ft long. If I had to do it all over again I would have gone for a tractor with a little more ground clearance than the 1025r but otherwise it has been a great investment. Last time I looked nobody is getting any younger, these machines become more valuable personally each year you own them. Do you NEED a tractor on 6 acres, heck yes!!! And you will need it more each year. A tractor with the attachments that you need will mean that you may dodge the abuse that you will subject your body to doing the work that will take you days to accomplish by hand that take only a hours by machine. A tractor, can mean the difference in years that you can keep and maintain that 6 acres. My wife was dead set against buying a tractor four years ago. Now she understands what it will do and how it has made a lot of chores easier. Especially when you do something specifically for her.
IMHO, your question shouldn't be 'do I need a tractor', it should be How big a tractor do I need?

Registered
... Last time I looked nobody is getting any younger, these machines become more valuable personally each year you own them. Do you NEED a tractor on 6 acres, heck yes!!! And you will need it more each year. A tractor with the attachments that you need will mean that you may dodge the abuse that you will subject your body to doing the work that will take you days to accomplish by hand that take only a hours by machine. A tractor, can mean the difference in years that you can keep and maintain that 6 acres....
IMHO, your question shouldn't be 'do I need a tractor', it should be How big a tractor do I need?
More often than not I am finding this to be TRUE.
We didn't think I 'needed' a new 1025r with backhoe, or a 54" MMM, or pallet forks or a tiller, or a chipper, or fert spreader, or a dump bed conversion for my pickup, or raised beds with automatic drip irrigation for the garden.
Now that we have this stuff I see that we do in deed "NEED" it because it saves strain on us while still allowing us to work outside and enjoy life.

Registered
Another point I wanted to bring up, even on my 1 acre, I wish I bought at least 1 series back when I started doing renovations. We bought a fixer property. Landscaping was a jungle of invasives all the way to the house (I found roots behind baseboards). I have done renovations just in materials in six figures. Did 90% of the stuff myself. Alone. Manually. 7 years of self-abuse.
I am just thinking about all the time I would have saved with the SCUT. I used to rent utility tractors etc. but then you have them for a day or two and you are supposed to fit all the work into those days. You know that isn't happening.

Now in just 25 or so hours on the 1023e, I have rebuilt like 400 feet of stone wall from scratch, I cleaned up a ton on my property, and also took care of my neighbors (some haven't seen acres of their property before I came in to clear it). Every day I am using the tractor for something. 20 minutes there, 10 minutes there... which would have been a good hour plus, if done without the help of the tractor. These tractors save so much time and enable you to get things done alone without help. With how much things cost around here, I think I will have my full ROI on it before I even hit 50 hours.

Lastly, where I think the 1-series shines for me, vs the L series Kubotas I used to rent - ability to get into tight spots and not leaving huge ruts behind.

Registered
Hi all Deere enthusiasts,

TL/DR- what is the general consensus on subcompact 1025r tractors? Do I need one as a home owner?

I recently moved into my brand new construction home in the northeast. I鈥檓 on 6 acres (4 of which upland) set about 1000鈥 from the road. It鈥檚 now just setting in that I have a lot in front of me to set up and maintain the property. I鈥檓 considering the 1025r with loader and backhoe at a minimum to clear some more woods, install a lawn, grading, snow removal etc. With packages being quoted at around $30k I鈥檓 hesitant to pull the trigger if it鈥檚 more machine than I need. Any advice or help in making the call would be greatly appreciated!

I think you would quickly realize that a 1025R is too small. I have a 2038R for 10 acres, and I should have opted for a 3 series. I use mine all the time, and have a handful of attachments--backhoe, rototiller, forklift attachment, rock bucket, field mower, box blade, plus counterweights.

I would get a 2038R--no one ever complained of having too much power in their tractor. If you anticipate needing a backhoe for digging deeper than 4-feet, I would consider a three series.

I know it is a lot of money, but the additional cost will even out over time, and you will not become frustrated if you had a 1025R.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts