Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!! I am looking into buying this John Deere for my hubby. It’s listed at 1,000 with blower, 48” mower deck and plow.... not sure what this means? It needs a Strator which they said is an easy thing, but again I know nothing. I’m posting the pics. Thoughts?
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Outdoor power equipment Agricultural machinery
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Outdoor power equipment Agricultural machinery
Snow blower Vehicle Outdoor power equipment Tractor Tool

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Welcome from central Ohio
Text Yellow Font Logo

I had a 1977 JD300 and mine was a great tractor.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
kuylo, Not a great deal but for what you're getting it's not too bad. A stator can be bought through JD dealer or other sources for $100. To replace the stator, engine must be removed and a partial dismantle. Can hubby work a wrench? Blower, the Model 49 shown, usually run around $400-$500. A decent 48" deck, around $300-$400. A plow, if for the rear for dirt, around $150 or a blade type plow (Model 54) run around $500 for 4-way, or $250 for standard 2-way plow.

So, accessories alone add up to $800-$1200. Worst case is you're paying $200 + stator for tractor. Tractor appears to have been well taken care of...I'd buy it! Bob

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I have a 300 with a snow thrower, mower deck, front blade, rear plow. I think it's the best mowing machine I own. It's also great for blowing snow.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Super Moderator
2,796 Posts
If it's a 300, then it's not a 1978. The 300 was made from 1975 to 1977, then in 1978, Deere rebadged it to a 316 (one year only, as the 317 replaced it in 1979).

·
Registered
43 Posts
i would pass on that "deal", that is too much for that package. especially not running. yea it is a deere, but with the engine not running you can't test the hydros or engine. next thing take a look at the pic of the blower from the front. that cutting edge has a good curve to it also the feet are pretty much gone, so it's hard to tell was else on that blower is worn off or damaged lol. not saying it's not worth buying but at $300-$400 tops.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Do you think this is a good deal? It says it needs a strator?
Not sure what a 'strator' is. Do they mean a starter or stator? One is pretty easy to replace, the other a bit more involved.
On the surface, for a 42 year old tractor, it looks to be in good shape - but it's what's beneath that shine that counts. Did you actually hear it run? If so, did you test everything works and that the tractor moves, etc? If you did not hear it run I agree with nkaust post. There's no way of knowing what you are getting into.

·
Registered
13,588 Posts
It’s a regionally fair price if the plow is a front blade, and the plow and mower are in fair useable condition.

There are stators and starters as mentioned, the starter replacement is super easy and if that’s the problem and your driving north to look at it I can give you one on the way, please pay $25 on your way home or return it. if it’s the stator, the tractor should still run fine with a good battery/jumper,it just won’t charge the battery. A good battery will make it run for days without recharging, including multiple starts if you don’t use lights. If you don’t want to fix a stator this winter just get a new high amp hour battery and charge it between storms. (With the voltage regulator disconnected).

Reactions: Kbar
1 - 9 of 9 Posts