Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like the collective input of the board. I have a 2006 2305..this winter at different times the both front tires have gone flat, the rears have been fine with no leaks. The tractor has turff tires and is primarily used as a lawn mower.
I need to do something as we get into moving season. There are three options....one of which I am ruling out.. Option 1- foam filling the tires (I'm ruling this out as I hate how foam filled tired ride.
2) tubing the tires 3) replacing the tires.

I am leaning towards new tires. Or is there a case to tub them? I figure the tires are ~13 years old and replacing them is the path with least maintenance. If I do get new front tires does anyone have a brand to recommend? Should I stick with Carlisle's or risk with no name Chinese-ium brand tires?

I appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Did you try just putting air in the tires? Are the tires weather checked or have any other damage? I wouldn’t replace a lawn mower tire before it’s time.

If they were vehicle tires they would be long gone if I owned the tractor.

·
Registered
21,446 Posts
My tractor is near the age of yours. Last year I developed a leaking tire. I took both fronts off and sprayed them down with soapy water. What I found were the entire sidewalls leaking in many places - weird. It was like they were leaking through the rubber with no weather checks or cracks.

Because of the severity and oddness of the leaks I opted to replace them. Bought them online at Walmart and delivered to store. I brought my wheels/tires in and they changed them both for $10 plus tax - great deal.

These won’t be your tire size or style - just for reference. They were Carlisle Trac Chief - exactly what I had.

Carlisle Trac Chief 23X8.50-12 C Tire - Walmart.com

·
Registered
11,752 Posts
My tractor is near the age of yours. Last year I developed a leaking tire. I took both fronts off and sprayed them down with soapy water. What I found were the entire sidewalls leaking in many places - weird. It was like they were leaking through the rubber with no weather checks or cracks.

Because of the severity and oddness of the leaks I opted to replace them. Bought them online at Walmart and delivered to store. I brought my wheels/tires in and they changed them both for $10 plus tax - great deal.

These won’t be your tire size or style - just for reference. They were Carlisle Trac Chief - exactly what I had.

Carlisle Trac Chief 23X8.50-12 C Tire - Walmart.com
heck go this route for ur new tires ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^if i had known this a couple of yrs ago-i would went this way too.:bigthumb: walley world always seem to amaze me :munch:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'd like the collective input of the board. I have a 2006 2305..this winter at different times the both front tires have gone flat, the rears have been fine with no leaks. The tractor has turff tires and is primarily used as a lawn mower.
I need to do something as we get into moving season. There are three options....one of which I am ruling out.. Option 1- foam filling the tires (I'm ruling this out as I hate how foam filled tired ride.
2) tubing the tires 3) replacing the tires.

I am leaning towards new tires. Or is there a case to tub them? I figure the tires are ~13 years old and replacing them is the path with least maintenance. If I do get new front tires does anyone have a brand to recommend? Should I stick with Carlisle's or risk with no name Chinese-ium brand tires?

I appreciate your feedback.
Depends how much money you want to spend. My rule of thumb is if the tread is worn down then i replace the tires, but if tread is good i put in tubes and you're good for another ten years or so. Kent

·
Registered
830 Posts
real question in my mind is...why are they leaking.......old age? ....punctures? ......if its punctures new tires will only be marginally better and putting in a sealant might be a better option......if its old age problems then replace them or tube them its your call

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Sealant

real question in my mind is...why are they leaking.......old age? ....punctures? ......if its punctures new tires will only be marginally better and putting in a sealant might be a better option......if its old age problems then replace them or tube them its your call[/QUOTE

If the tread is still good, I would go with a good sealant like Liquitube. It works and if you ever replace the tires it's easily removed from the rim with a hose.

Premium Archives - Liquitube

There are other brands of similar product- Liquitube is the one I know and have used and it's good stuff.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If you do decide to replace the tires, consider putting 4 ply HDAP tires on it. You will get a better ride & better traction than turfs & still have great turf protection.
4 ply HDAP tires come standard on the X700 garden tractors.
If you have a loader, than consider 8 ply HDAP tires. You do not get improved ride, but you do get the improved traction.

·
Registered
21,446 Posts
If you do decide to replace the tires, consider putting 4 ply HDAP tires on it. You will get a better ride & better traction than turfs & still have great turf protection.
4 ply HDAP tires come standard on the X700 garden tractors.
If you have a loader, than consider 8 ply HDAP tires. You do not get improved ride, but you do get the improved traction.
If the HDAP tires were available for my tractor I would have gladly replaced all 4 when I replaced the fronts.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If the HDAP tires were available for my tractor I would have gladly replaced all 4 when I replaced the fronts.
I agree with coaltrain! I just don’t quite understand why they just aren’t available for the older 20 series. I’d say there should be a large enough demand. The R4 just really suck in the mud.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've battled flat tires the whole time I have owned mine. Last year I got sick of patching holes and leaks. i bought a big bucket of slime and filled my tires per the directions. Haven't had an issue since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts