Green Tractor Talk banner
1061 - 1080 of 1120 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Here is few on my first trucks .
This GMC was really my grand dads 82 GMC bought new in late 81, which I was driving it all over the farm back when I was 11 or 22 years old .
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Grille

Car Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Steering part

Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

Tire Wheel Vehicle Sky Cloud

The black Chevy was really a also an 82 6.2L diesel I bought in the mid to late 80s replaced with he grill the bumper a light bezels. In that swap I updated its appearance to not only become a Chevy but also much newer 1987 Silverado.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
After that black diesel I got 87 Chevy Silverado . It was also a truck grad dad bought new in 87.
it was the last of the old square body trucks and the only year that got a 350 with throttle body EFI . Arguably one of the best Chevy truck model years . It was a 1 year only setup , and the last before the new body stile came out.
This is one of my all time favorite trucks that I ever owned . I got handed down the truck in the fall of 1989.
Loved that old truck so much , that through 90s and early 2000s, I owned it 3 different times ,

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Grille

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
15,986 Posts
After that black diesel I got 87 Chevy Silverado . It was also a truck grad dad bought new in 87.
it was the last of the old square body trucks and the only year that got a 350 with throttle body EFI . Arguably one of the best Chevy truck model years . It was a 1 year only setup , and the last before the new body stile came out.
This is one of my all time favorite trucks that I ever owned . I got handed down the truck in the fall of 1989.
Loved that old truck so much , that through 90s and early 2000s, I owned it 3 different times ,

View attachment 836064
View attachment 836071
View attachment 836068
View attachment 836072
View attachment 836070
View attachment 836067
View attachment 836069
View attachment 836066
View attachment 836065
Are those Putco running boards?

That is a nice looking truck. It seems odd now, to see a two wheel drive.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Are those Putco running boards?

That is a nice looking truck. It seems odd now, to see a two wheel drive.
Thanks.
I agree most trucks prior to the late 90s early 2000s were mostly 2wd and prior to the 90s most trucks were regular cabs with 8ft beds.
I want to say they were DeeZee Running boards .
The back bumper was MrPickup. Back in those days for whatever reasons most truck did not come with rear bumpers.
You could order one with a factory rear bumper, but seemsmost dealers didn’t.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
I had a few others during the 80s .
The Blue 86 was a POS that was the year prior to fuel injection it had an electronic controlled carburetor that seldom ran right.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Between first and second time I owned the 87 1/2 ton.
I had a matching 87 3/4 ton with a fuel injected 454.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Plant

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

I did have 1 87 black short wide .
it didn’t have fuel injected 350 like the red and grey 87 the it was fuel injected all 87s were , it had the smaller 305 v8.
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
15,986 Posts
I had a few others during the 80s .
The Blue 86 was a POS that was the year prior to fuel injection it had an electronic controlled carburetor that seldom ran right.
View attachment 836157
View attachment 836156

Between first and second time I owned the 87 1/2 ton.
I had a matching 87 3/4 ton with a fuel injected 454.
View attachment 836160
View attachment 836158
View attachment 836159

I did have 1 87 black short wide .
it didn’t have fuel injected 350 like the red and grey 87 the it was fuel injected all 87s were , it had the smaller 305 v8.
View attachment 836161
A lot of dealers, especially in the midwest and of course, Texas installed step bumpers with their name and town engraved on the bumpers.

Reactions: cc1999 and Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Back then since the term bumper pull actually meant bumper pull ( Your trailer ball was bolted onto your bumper) .
I don't recall there being receiver hitches existing or at least not seen as common place like they are today.

Aside from additional dealer profit or dealer name marketing possibility's, allowing the customer to pick the weight ratings and especially the drop height was a big deal, we typically used 10K rated bumper with either an 8" or 10" drop for what we needed to pull with our trucks.

I believe if you ordered a step bumper from GM it was only offered in one drop height,
I want to say that was 6" been a day or two gone by .

Which was somewhat ok for some applications and especially on a lower to ground 2wd 1/2 ton truck.
3/4 ton or 1/2 ton 4x4 all got a lot taller and needed more drop then then what the factory bumper offered.

About everything was done a lot different back in those days.

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Back then since the term bumper pull actually meant bumper pull ( Your trailer ball was bolted onto your bumper) .
I don't recall there being receiver hitches existing or at least not seen as common place like they are today.

Aside from additional dealer profit or dealer name marketing possibility's, allowing the customer to pick the weight ratings and especially the drop height was a big deal, we typically used 10K rated bumper with either an 8" or 10" drop for what we needed to pull with our trucks.
We were laughing about that the other day. How the local weld shop made a killing building & installing heavy duty drop hitch bumpers. Then if you ever needed to remove it you quickly realized that he did not bolt them on. That's right, welded on with zero thought for the poor chap that would one day need to remove it.

·
Premium Member
9,856 Posts

• Wow
Reactions: JR Diyer

·
Registered
68 Posts
Pic of it doing what it's meant to do.
View attachment 833431
My wife just told me to find a bigger truck. Something with a better ride and more goodies in it.
So I found a 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 3.0L diesel in it. AT4 all loaded up. 6,500 miles on it.
I buy them wrecked and fix them and save a bunch of money in the process.
We currently have a 2017 Colorado with a 2.8L diesel. So Memorial weekend I'll park the Colorado out on the highway, for sale.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Very Nice DCKruger57 !!!

I had 2 Colorado diesel 4x4s and now have an GMC AT4 with the 3.0L Diesel.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle Car

Been really happy with the GMC it has a lot more power then the 2.8L that I had in the Colorado's.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Fuel mileage has been working out just about the same for me as my prior Colorado's.

Just a much larger more comfortable truck. I really just a diesel Fan , fuel mileage is not all the big a deal, But I do like having decent range and love how a diesel performs in general.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Very Nice DCKruger57 !!!

I had 2 Colorado diesel 4x4s and now have an GMC AT4 with the 3.0L Diesel.
View attachment 837895
View attachment 837896
Been really happy with the GMC it has a lot more power then the 2.8L that I had in the Colorado's.
View attachment 837897

Fuel mileage has been working out just about the same for me as my prior Colorado's.

Just a much larger more comfortable truck. I really just a diesel Fan , fuel mileage is not all the big a deal, But I do like having decent range and love how a diesel performs in general.
Thanks, Looking forward to driving it. Longer box will be appreciated too. Love the little diesels too.
My Colorado gets 25 mpg just around home. 36 mpg best ever. I usually get around 21 pulling my boat. Plenty of power.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
We needed to get one more round bale to get us through. Luckily the guy that cuts & bales ours had one left. Hooked up the car hauler and off we went.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Back to back posts on this one.
Used the single axle to get the Raptor back from the shop (tune up and new tires - it sat for a few years before I got it).

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Good news & bad news!!!

Bad news first: (1 of 2)
Wheel Automotive side marker light Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

The steering wheel did not move between those pictures...

Now for the good news: I was on the last turn on pulling into the garage when I felt it give out. This is after 8 miles on I-35 at 75mph, plus another 5 miles of county roads.

Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Car Wheel

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Sorry, no pic. Replaced the battery in my 2014 Z71 yesterday. Second time on this truck. What a pain. Why would you bury the battery behind the coolant tank? And the support bar that needs removed. All in all things should be easier on an item you know will need replaced. Good news, it's location will deter thieves I guess!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Sorry, no pic. Replaced the battery in my 2014 Z71 yesterday. Second time on this truck. What a pain. Why would you bury the battery behind the coolant tank? And the support bar that needs removed. All in all things should be easier on an item you know will need replaced. Good news, it's location will deter thieves I guess!
Its definitely a pain.

1061 - 1080 of 1120 Posts