Green Tractor Talk banner
1081 - 1100 of 1120 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
When I went to replace the tie rod end I stupidly had the wrench against the sway bar & when I started torqueing on it to break it loose something broke. It wasn't the jam nut on the tie rod end, it was the sway bar mount on the control arm. At this point I gave up, I threw the wheel back on and loaded it up to bring to the shop. Trying to get a vehicle on a trailer that only has one wheel that steers is interesting. Also I need to invest in some tire tie down straps, any suggestions? I used three 3,000lbs ratchet straps and blocked the tires, but from people that do this more than I do, I am curious to see ways to improve.

I will add that it was a 10 mile back country (paved) roads drive to the shop, I never got over 50mph.

Plant Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
My GMC AT4 got some new shoes a couple weeks ago.

Bumped the size up to 33x22.5R17s.
Same rims as before 17x8.5 +6 offset .

For reference in an 18x9 rim that would be close to a +18-20mm offset .
New tires are the Mikey Thompson Load range D , 8 ply, Baja Boss.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Plant Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Vehicle Truck Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Vehicle registration plate

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Sky Car

Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Grille

·
Registered
3046R with 385a, 320R.
1,116 Posts

View attachment 847886
View attachment 847889
View attachment 847888
View attachment 847892
View attachment 847891
View attachment 847887
View attachment 847890
View attachment 847885
are you still running stock suspension? I currently have 20's (factory) but would be good to drop down in wheel size and know I can run 33's with no issue.

·
Registered
15,986 Posts

View attachment 847886
View attachment 847889
View attachment 847888
View attachment 847892
View attachment 847891
View attachment 847887
View attachment 847890
View attachment 847885
I like that truck. Are the tires noisy?

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
are you still running stock suspension? I currently have 20's (factory) but would be good to drop down in wheel size and know I can run 33's with no issue.
Yes, stock suspension.
However please keep in mind that the 1500 AT4 model has about a 2" lift from the factory compared to the other Sierra 1500s.

Less wheel and more tire normally = smoother ride.

I have had a few trucks that came with factory 20s and that is always the first thing I do, it pull them off and put on 17's or 18s with some larger tires.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
I like that truck. Are the tires noisy?
Thanks!
Counting the stock rims and tires this the 4th set of tires that I have tried on this truck, the first set after the Stock tires Rims came off were these same Fuel wheels with Falken Wildpeak AT3s 285/70R17s those were the quietest and smoothest riding they were a P-metric 4 ply tire. Better on fuel too. They were wearing sort of fast and were getting a little louder, plus I was really always wanting a little taller and little wider tire then the 285s. These MTs are heavy, and little louder then the Falken tires when the Falken's were new but quieter then when I took the Falken's off, but not a lot of difference, both are quieter then the Durtrax Goodyears that came on the truck.

·
Registered
3046R with 385a, 320R.
1,116 Posts
Yes, stock suspension.
However please keep in mind that the 1500 AT4 model has about a 2" lift from the factory compared to the other Sierra 1500s.

Less wheel and more tire normally = smoother ride.

I have had a few trucks that came with factory 20s and that is always the first thing I do, it pull them off and put on 17's or 18s with some larger tires.
I have the same truck as you, AT4, 3.0 just in sky blue.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
Should fit fine. I know everyone has different taste in Wheels.
I would recommend paying very close attention to the offsets when shopping for Rims.
I would shooting for a +5 to +12 range in a 8.5" wide Rim or +18 to +25 in a 9" wide rim.

The 33x12.5R17 is as big as you can go without trimming on a stock AT4 with offsets as I had described.
I would lay very high odds that you would have rubbing issues with a 0 to -20 offsets or greater. The more the negative offset the worse it would rub and the more trimming that would be needed.

Also when shopping for Rims and tires, another very important thing I highly recommend people do, is to check the manufactures spec for the tires you like. Height and width and weight if power and fuel mileage are a concern.

The MT tires I chose were spec to be 12 wide not the 12.5 the size indicates them to be. They are also 32.8 Tall not a true 33. I mention this because I am not 100% sure that I could clear a tire that was more true to spec.
Meaning a true 33" tall and a true 12.5" wide.

These Specs are for 17 Baja Boss tires as seen on my truck.
Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot Pattern

Something that has tripped me up more then once, is the difference there is in Section width vs tread width.
Tread width is by far the most important so I generally try and find that info if I can. Tread is generally what will be rubbing on stuff, section width is the widest points sidewall to sidewall.

Some tires like the Goodyear Territory MTs 285/70R17s, that I had tried on this truck about a month ago were a 11.5 section
but had a narrow 8.6 I think it was tread. Which compared to the Falken 285/70R17s that I took off, the Goodyear's looked really narrow, even though the section widths were about the same 11.5" wide, tread was however more like 10.2 or something like that compared to 8.6.

·
Registered
68 Posts
When I went to replace the tie rod end I stupidly had the wrench against the sway bar & when I started torqueing on it to break it loose something broke. It wasn't the jam nut on the tie rod end, it was the sway bar mount on the control arm. At this point I gave up, I threw the wheel back on and loaded it up to bring to the shop. Trying to get a vehicle on a trailer that only has one wheel that steers is interesting. Also I need to invest in some tire tie down straps, any suggestions? I used three 3,000lbs ratchet straps and blocked the tires, but from people that do this more than I do, I am curious to see ways to improve.

I will add that it was a 10 mile back country (paved) roads drive to the shop, I never got over 50mph.

View attachment 847850
I bought a set of 4 axle straps from my local auto parts store. 3000 cap. ea. They fit through the wheels really well. The rims now days almost all have spokes so you can get them through. Then 4 heavy ratchet straps. you also need 4 places to hook up in the trailer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2WD WT. Not originally the truck I wanted but I got tired of lookin and settled on this one. Found it in the shop at the Chevy dealer, it had just been traded they were repairing a few items. Came back when work was done, mom test drove it for me(wasn't 18 yet) and brought it home, that was Feb 2014 with 67,000 miles. 164,000 miles now. Has tow mirrors now rather than standard. Truck always does a good job with every task. 5.3L V8, 4L60E w/3.73 gears. Only wish it was 4WD and that it didn't eat transmissions. In the shop gettin third one now. Added an aux trans cooler this time. Overall for my first vehicle I'm proud of it. Bully dog tuner to turn AFM off. Got aftermarket radio in it now for Android auto, that was a good upgrade over broken factory radio. Got $750 in maintenance parts waitin to put on it when it gets back for tranny shop. Thanks for readin bout my truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was very specific with what I wanted, and still am. I want a work truck and nothing more. A requirement is regular cab long bed which were hard to find then, let alone now. And when the trans failed this time, 3K to rebuild it and install an aux cooler, and I don't have to do the work myself. For the prices I found reg cab long beds that were in okay shape. I decided it's worth it to me just fix the radio, disable AFM to try to keep 5.3 alive longer, replace shocks, u-joints, rear diff cover that's rusting. Do all that to this truck and throw a bed on it (the bed is completely rotted, way worse than the above pictures now) then it is to try to trade into a just couple year newer almost as rusty truck..I echo previous statements in this thread man do I hate rust. The truck market is insane to a fella like me right now but boy some of these trucks on here sure are sharp.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is my 07 2500 Duramax bringing home my new 3046R.
That's a nice lookin truck. Looks really really clean too, don't see any visible rust either.

·
Registered
2022 3046R Cab
22 Posts
That's a nice lookin truck. Looks really really clean too, don't see any visible rust either.
Thank you. Down in Texas not much rust issue usually. No rust on this one and I do my best to keep it cleaned up

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Crew cab and shot bed fits in my garage. I have several trailers if I need longer. But that rarely happens.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

1081 - 1100 of 1120 Posts