Green Tractor Talk banner

1701 - 1720 of 1722 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have an Explorer as my daily driver, but like to have a pickup for weekend hauling and to have a third vehicle between the wife and I. I had a '97 F150 that I really liked...regular cab, long box, five-speed manual transmission...but that drowned in the floods here in Nebraska last spring. After getting settled, it was time to look for another. Picked this one up today...2000 F150 Lariat with 177k on it. Really nice condition. Nothing fancy, but just what I was looking for.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If you hold the talk button for 2 seconds, Siri will chime and you can use her instead off the Ford chick who sucks

·
Registered
23,033 Posts
I have an Explorer as my daily driver, but like to have a pickup for weekend hauling and to have a third vehicle between the wife and I. I had a '97 F150 that I really liked...regular cab, long box, five-speed manual transmission...but that drowned in the floods here in Nebraska last spring. After getting settled, it was time to look for another. Picked this one up today...2000 F150 Lariat with 177k on it. Really nice condition. Nothing fancy, but just what I was looking for.

I think the truck I miss most is my ‘95 F150 XL regular cab. The awesome straight 6 with the 5 speed.

I tried to keep it - even had the cab replaced once and the wheel wells redone twice but the rust finally won out. What a shame with only 77k miles....

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I think the truck I miss most is my ‘95 F150 XL regular cab. The awesome straight 6 with the 5 speed.

I tried to keep it - even had the cab replaced once and the wheel wells redone twice but the rust finally won out. What a shame with only 77k miles....
Not sure if all this aluminum body stuff helps but have you seen where people do treatments with chainsaw bar oil? I am sure the EPA would have a fit but it seems to work pretty well. I'll bet it is messy to apply though.

·
Registered
23,033 Posts
Not sure if all this aluminum body stuff helps but have you seen where people do treatments with chainsaw bar oil? I am sure the EPA would have a fit but it seems to work pretty well. I'll bet it is messy to apply though.
I feel that unless some type of protection isn’t put on when it is brand new it’s useless.

This is why I now own an aluminum body truck. This doesn’t help with the rest of the undercarriage but at least should have a rust free body now.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I feel that unless some type of protection isn’t put on when it is brand new it’s useless.

This is why I now own an aluminum body truck. This doesn’t help with the rest of the undercarriage but at least should have a rust free body now.
I agree that it should help the body. Though aluminum can still have issues.

This is an older truck but an example of what it did for one person.

·
Registered
23,033 Posts
Ford has officially unveiled the 2021 F150. I always have a hard time getting used to the new front ends. I think the current generation was about the only one I liked right away. I’ll be keeping mine...

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Looks more like a tundra front end. I don't know if this one will grow on me or not...

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Looks like a Titan

Reactions: ColonyPark and Big

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Titan was what I meant when I posted tundra

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I am kind of torn on the new one. Really the only item that I guess I would be interested in is maybe the hybrid with Pro Power Onboard. However, and this is a big however, what does that do to payload capacity on upper trim levels. I guess also if it is even available on upper trim levels? If it works how I think it works, I can see some benefit when we go camping and today are running a generator as we normally dry camp. I think it will run off the batteries and then kick in the engine as needed to recharge the batteries. Depending on how well that works it might replace the need for carrying a generator. Also the truck running, provided it can charge at idle, would likely be quieter than even an inverter generator.

Sure the bigger screen would be nice. I like the full digital dash it would be better if it has navigation info in the instrument cluster. Not sure if it does that but I wish the screen in the middle of my F150 did that like some other manufacturers. I don't have an issue with the current size screen in the infotainment. I don't know how much I like how Ram moved most the HVAC stuff into the digita screen. I like physical buttons for this stuff. Ford does a nice balance of keeping the "analog" controls and putting it in the infotainment area to satisfy everyone. Max Recline Seats would be of no use to me. Rear locking underseat storage, meh, I have ratchet straps and such in there so not really concerned but I see that in other makes. It isn't hard, just put a key on the seat bottom to lock it down. One thing I saw in the 250 (currrent model) that I kind of liked is how that rear under seat storage can be collapsed if you need a little more room and not the under seat storage.

The new grill looks fine to me. They followed the side badging to look a little more like the bigger trucks. Overall, it is nice but I don't see that much to cause me to rush out and replace the current truck that I just got. There isn't really anything I have seen yet other than maybe hybrid and Pro Power, that I might be kicking myself.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Nice service truck!
What do you work on again?
What is the crane capacity on that?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I work for a pump rental company. Mostly diesel driven but some electric drive. Yanmar, Deere ,Cat,Isuzu,and JCB engines. Anywhere from 20 to 750 hp. The crane on this truck is rated at 10,500 lbs. They shipped the truck from California to NY because they couldn’t find a mechanic that could shift a 10speed after the last guy quit. It doesn’t weigh much more than the 550 did and drives a hundred times better. The 550 was way over weight

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I was looking at the 2021. The locking under seat storage does look like the folding one out of the 250 of today. So that is good. One thing I do like is that the changed the Andorid Auto and Apple Car Play so they are wireless now. That would be really nice to go along with the wireless charging that they have in the Expedition today. They did increase the speed of the hardware in the Sync Infotainment which was needed. With more screen real estate it looks more capable with multi tasking which would be nice. I find there are times I am switching back and forth between Waze in Android Auto and the normal Sync stuff. It mentioned something about Waze in Sync 4. Does that mean you don't need a phone? Maybe you need to the hotspot to be active for that. Not sure on that one. It wasn't clear. The folding shifter with the desk that flips out is kind of neat and the flat work surface of the tailgate also could be nice but I don't see myself using those two. Looks like there are some more traction modes, the only one that might interest me there was the deep snow but honestly we don't deal with that much even up here in MN. If we were to get a lot of snow I just work from home so about the only time it would apply is during deer camp but even then that is so early in the fall it seems now that we don't get much snow. Nothing that would require anything more than regular 4wd.

Really the biggest thing I liked was what I mentioned about the hybrid system with the power in the bed with our camper. I suspect that will eat into payload too much in the upper trims that we only could benefit from it with an XLT with HDPP. Unless that became an option on the upper trim levels which I don't understand why it isn't standard on them unless the beefier frame on the truck gets it too heavy for whatever weight limit there is for it to be called a 1/2 ton. If that is the case then it would be a bigger issue.

Oh I know another thing that I saw which I liked. How they added the cameras on the rear view mirrors looking back along the side of the truck like what they have on the 250s. Not sure why they didn't have that before.

Lets hope the improve the resolution on those cameras. With a much larger screen in the dash, it will be really grainy with the current quality camera. Even with the smaller screen that we have today it could be a lot sharper picture.

·
Registered
23,033 Posts
I have to say my favorite new feature is the flat folding front seats. When the seat back goes all the way down the seat cushion raises to the same level. Also adjustable shoulder area.

This matters to me as I take my wife to a lot of long distance doctor appointments - at least we did before this virus thing. I will read and nap in my truck while she is inside. I just can’t get comfortable in the truck. Have tried the back seat but can’t stretch out.

I know not a big deal for most but this is the feature that caught my eye. I could care less about all the connectivity stuff.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Back to the adaptive cruise control, my girlfriend's Crosstrek has it. The one downside that we've experienced is that it will lull you into driving at a lower speed on a multi-lane road than you want to drive. If you begin to close on a slower moving car, and are unable to pass due to vehicles being in the lanes to your left, it will slow you down to that slower speed...as it should. If you're stuck there for a while, it's very easy to accept the slower pace. After driving at the slower pace for who knows how long, and losing time to the trip, you'll realize what you're doing. On long drives that can add up. On the other hand, if I did a lot of towing in congested areas my next SD would have ACC.

1701 - 1720 of 1722 Posts