Green Tractor Talk banner
61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Oh man - you opened up a peek into my other addiction

I had an 04 TJ that I got up to 35s.

View attachment 853385

I made a regrettable decision to sell this (17 years old and 170K miles) for darn near what I paid for it new.

I took that money and got a new '21 JL Rubicon exactly how I wanted it (and what I had to do aftermarket to my old TJ). Lockers, and the essential 4:1 transfer case.

View attachment 853387

I need to tell/warn you all. I had it out last week on it's first real offroading adventure. While it performed wonderfully, and that 4:1 will crawl up anything, I really, really, really miss my TJ. It just lacks...personality.

Now my wife....she also had a TJ (one of the many reasons she's the "one" :LOL:)

View attachment 853390

The transmission went out on this (after 15 years and 180K miles) and we used it as an excuse to get her dream Jeep:
A 2021 Gecko Gladiator:

View attachment 853391

As you can tell, we tend to keep our vehicles 15+ years. That's fully the expectation of these (unless I get my money back by private selling my JL and go look for a pristine TJ :p )

View attachment 853392

Know exactly what you mean. When the TJ came out, it was best of the best jeep tech. Wifes JL is ok, but almost too well engineered.

Not that the new ones are not better, they are just NOT that much better than the TJ was over the YJ. Nowhere near as shocking of an upgrade as before.

·
Registered
55JD50 57JD420C 57JD420U 55JD40W 66JD110 73JD140H3 2006JDGX335 44JDBO 45JDBR 85JD750
560 Posts
That little V-6 had enough torque to twist the rear driveshaft into two pieces. It was a big improvement over the old F-head four cylinder. The one in the pictures look like brand new.
I blew a head gasket about a month ago and it also blew the radiator apart. So I pulled the heads and had two valves reworked. The first time the heads have been off. That gave me an opportunity to repaint the motor and replaced the original radiator.

·
Registered
1983 John Deere 750 2wd, with Bush Hog Loader
45 Posts
1992 YJ. 250,000 miles and still chugging along. 7.5” SOA on 37’s. I need to lower it now. Too big n tall for family rides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice YJ! Was that the first year they put the family rollbar in, vs the sport bar?
My I6 had 220k on it when I pulled it out. It was still running descently, but figured why not since I was pulling everything off anyway. If I had to redo it, I may consider one of the I6 stroker engines.
You’re right on about climbing into a lifted YJ. I only have 35s on it, with about 6-6.5” of lift between the leafs, the body lift I needed to squeeze my flipped and clocked D300 under it, and my shackles. But it seems like I need to jump into it, without the grab handles and standing on my rocker bars, I doubt my 5’8” self could climb inside.

·
Premium Member
14,268 Posts
This event cost me my Amp Research Power Steps. Not near as easy to get into now!
That is what we referred to as an upgrade opportunity.

That is what rock rails are made for.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Nice YJ! Was that the first year they put the family rollbar in, vs the sport bar?
My I6 had 220k on it when I pulled it out. It was still running descently, but figured why not since I was pulling everything off anyway. If I had to redo it, I may consider one of the I6 stroker engines.
You’re right on about climbing into a lifted YJ. I only have 35s on it, with about 6-6.5” of lift between the leafs, the body lift I needed to squeeze my flipped and clocked D300 under it, and my shackles. But it seems like I need to jump into it, without the grab handles and standing on my rocker bars, I doubt my 5’8” self could climb inside.
Yeah, my 91 didn’t have the rear passenger protection. Think that’s when they added rear shoulder seatbelts instead of just lap belts

·
Premium Member
3,956 Posts
I bought this and a matching one for the dimmer switch from a JC Whitney catalog in 1969 when I got my driver license. It was in a 1960 Ford Falcon until I wrecked it. I removed it before daddy sold the car for scrap and kept it all these years.

I put it in my Jeep soon after I brought it home last November. Still looking for a place to put the one for the dimmer switch.

Shoe Automotive lighting White Hood Light

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I bought this and a matching one for the dimmer switch from a JC Whitney catalog in 1969 when I got my driver license. It was in a 1960 Ford Falcon until I wrecked it. I removed it before daddy sold the car for scrap and kept it all these years.

I put it in my Jeep soon after I brought it home last November. Still looking for a place to put the one for the dimmer switch.

View attachment 853478
Lotta dollars in my youth was spent in JC Whitney catalogs!

·
Premium Member
14,268 Posts
Still looking for a place to put the one for the dimmer switch.
You are probably gonna have to find a vintage model for the dimmer switch.

There are probably some on here that have never seen one let alone used one.

·
Premium Member
3,235 Posts
61 - 80 of 107 Posts