Green Tractor Talk banner
101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
3039R
220 Posts
My 2003 TJ Rubicon. Bought new, now with 94K miles. I keep it out west where there are endless miles of narrow and rugged back country roads to explore, which is mostly what I use it for. It's pretty much a long-range, highway-legal Gator or side-by-side for me.

Up in the Bennett Hills, looking out across the Camas Prairie. Shortly after this picture was taken, I almost rolled it down the side of a steep canyon while foolishly descending a deep eroded gorge that I could not back out of. I am really happy that I didn't get to test the roll bars!

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive parking light Sky

In the Little City of Rocks, quite a few miles from nowhere. I always start out with a full gas tank, and end up by washing off all the dust and mud.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

My only modification is to take the top off occasionally, because the Rubicon came with everything I needed.
Sidney the poodle is an unlicensed driver, but there aren't many law enforcement checks out in the boonies:

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Lots more miles left to explore, especially on remote National Forest and BLM roads! Haven't met a Prius or Tesla out here yet!

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Sky Car

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
How has the 3.6 v6 been holding up for everyone?
The 3.6 is a good engine only weak part is the lifters and rockers they don't last and usually will wipe out a cam the early builds had cylinder head issues which they seemed to have fixed if anyone on here needs any mechanical knowledge on any fca vehicles don't hesitate to p.m.me and I'll answer them the best I can or reference you to the service manual

Sent from md

·
Registered
1983 John Deere 750 2wd, with Bush Hog Loader
45 Posts
What size motor?

Whats the battery disconnect for?

I kept my Wrangler hood decals, they help keep mine looking original. Too many modded rigs out there, not enough classics.
I put a 5.7L TBI 350 in it, it came out of a G20 van that was rebuilt by the local high school auto shop. Good thing I went over it throughly, there were a few things I had to redo.

The battery disconnect is for the winch. I wasn’t going to do a winch, but I put an Apex 12k from HF on it. With the specials they run, I paid around $400. I was leery about it being from HF, but most of the reviews are really positive, and I can replace it 3-4 times before it would cost as much as the Warn equivalent.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The earliest 3.6 Pentastars ('12 and very early '13s) had casting flaws in the heads that (could and sometimes did) lead to coolant issues and cracks. I believe Chrysler singled them out by VIN, or the heads had a specific part number that was the problem castings. If I remember correctly.

Mine was pretty solid up until 130,000ish miles, where I tore it apart to install the GM V8 and 6spd auto. I have a hard time leaving well enough alone.

I drag raced a buddy of mine, who has a stroker 4.0L XJ Cherokee, I believe to 4.7L, and it was a neck and neck race up to about 90mph or so. I was on slightly larger than stock tires with OEM gearing. With 4.56 gears, he couldn't keep up at all.

Reactions: Uncle Wayne

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
The earliest 3.6 Pentastars ('12 and very early '13s) had casting flaws in the heads that (could and sometimes did) lead to coolant issues and cracks. I believe Chrysler singled them out by VIN, or the heads had a specific part number that was the problem castings. If I remember correctly.

Mine was pretty solid up until 130,000ish miles, where I tore it apart to install the GM V8 and 6spd auto. I have a hard time leaving well enough alone.

I drag raced a buddy of mine, who has a stroker 4.0L XJ Cherokee, I believe to 4.7L, and it was a neck and neck race up to about 90mph or so. I was on slightly larger than stock tires with OEM gearing. With 4.56 gears, he couldn't keep up at all.
You are correct they extended the warranty for 10 years or 150k miles but only for the 2011 thru early 2013 model years wranglers didn't get the 3.6 until 2012 but other models had them in 2011 besides the cracking alot of them had issues with the valve seats going bad causing a mis fire and it was mainly the left head

Sent from md

101 - 107 of 107 Posts