Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to switch this setup up without taking out a part of the wall? The cheap plastic handles keep snapping off and it drips. I didn't know if there was maybe a way to remove the faucet and gain access to the water lines behind it through the re existing opening.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depends on the age & style of faucet. The spout might unscrew from the base & then the H & C should unscrew from the supplies. Then the wall plate can be removed to access piping & new install.Can you make out a brand name anywhere on it? That would help determining removal.
Is there shut-offs for the H & C in ceiling below or above to isolate the faucet? That would help in case anything snaps while disconnecting it, which is likely if it is an older one. Don't need flooding anywhere.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I changed mine out this summer. Mine were very old, I had to change everything out. If you have to do that, the shark bite fittings are awesome. Total plumbing game changer.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would agree with the shark bite stuff. It's in my mom's house. I practice here for when I build my own, maybe save some money putting things in myself :)

I'll take a look when it's not in use. It was in the house when we got it. One of those modular slap together deals. I've found things in these are not the greatest.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Is there a way to switch this setup up without taking out a part of the wall? The cheap plastic handles keep snapping off and it drips. I didn't know if there was maybe a way to remove the faucet and gain access to the water lines behind it through the re existing opening.
What's the wall like behind the plumbing? Cutting an access hole in sheetrock isn't as bad as it sounds.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
My access was in a closet in the hallway. Wanted to change the shower knobs, but where it was so old, had to change the valve too. It was all hard copper pipe. I just cut it all out, put in the new valve and connected everything back with shark bites and the tyvex plastic pipe that goes with it. Very simple compared to trying to solder copper pipe and not burn the house down.

·
Premium Member
14,714 Posts
Should be able to ,, remove the knobs, then the spout, then the back panel. Should be able to then do things in reverse order.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
My access was in a closet in the hallway. Wanted to change the shower knobs, but where it was so old, had to change the valve too. It was all hard copper pipe. I just cut it all out, put in the new valve and connected everything back with shark bites and the tyvex plastic pipe that goes with it. Very simple compared to trying to solder copper pipe and not burn the house down.
I agree I just remodled one bath because I twisted the pipe off when trying to change the washer on the handle. The shark bite fittings and the new PEX lines make it super easy. good luck :good2:

·
Premium Member
5,489 Posts
If you know what it is the valves, seats and spouts are all replaceable from the front. I just did that in one of our bathrooms. Like others said there is usually a dry wall behind it but if it is old I would not be surprised that half way into the project once you remove the plate in the front you find the tiles are no longer held to the wall and you might be getting into a bigger job.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a bedroom wall behind it. There's no name on the faucet. There was a tag in the shower but apparently someone peeped it off. It's not real tile. It's a plastic type getup that just drops into place.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Have you looked for a YouTube video?

I know "This Old House" changed out one identical to yours,,,
and,,,
they put their shows on YouTube! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
22,665 Posts
Shark Bite - I had to Google that term - not a mind reader or in the know with building/plumbing supplies.

When we first bought this place we re-did some plumbing and used CPVC - that’s all I knew of. Now all this new stuff like Shark Bite, Plex, etc.

I am going to remodel my bathroom and kitchen some day - I am sure going to need help with what is available.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Shark Bite - I had to Google that term - not a mind reader or in the know with building/plumbing supplies.

When we first bought this place we re-did some plumbing and used CPVC - that’s all I knew of. Now all this new stuff like Shark Bite, Plex, etc.

I am going to remodel my bathroom and kitchen some day - I am sure going to need help with what is available.
Stan,

Id cut a hole in that wall behind it in a heartbeat and cut that entire shower valve out and update it. If your plumbing is 1/2 copper and hasnt ever frozen, sharkbites are a solution for the new valve. The bad thing about old plumbing like that is the more you mess with it, the worse it gets. Sheetrock is easy to replace and match up. If it's older, it could be plaster and lath which might be more involved but not much. I personally don't fight with old plumbing fixtures like that unless they are high end and the parts are readily available and most importantly function as advertised. I've chased my tail around in circles trying to save things like this and my time is worth more to me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Being the home is modular/mobile type, as others said, cut sheet-rock on opposite wall & replace entire fitting. I have a modular home & love it, but to replace/fix anything is a major project. I have used the "sharkbite"fittings & they do work. Longterm, we will see how they hold up. Good luck & keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Being the home is modular/mobile type, as others said, cut sheet-rock on opposite wall & replace entire fitting. I have a modular home & love it, but to replace/fix anything is a major project. I have used the "sharkbite"fittings & they do work. Longterm, we will see how they hold up. Good luck & keep us informed.
Unfortunately, they aren't an end all do all mostly due to individual cost, but for small projects they can't be beat. I talked to our company plumber when I wanted to add a garage utility sink to my own house and he told me straight up to ****can the copper idea and run red and blue pex with sharks. My entire house is rigid copper and a lot of it. In the end I cut into a 3/4 copper main and went to town. That was 10 years ago and I never looked back.

B

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have used them in a couple houses and never had any trouble with them. I hope they hold up, also, but I have no reason to think they won’t. I have talked to several plumbers, none have had any problems with them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Recore of the guts you can do. You might be able to do more then that without a hole but I doubt it. I took my guts to the store and found the match. My parents on the shower head that broke thought it was the shut off which was behind a cabinet drawer. So they pulled that apart and cut the hole. Still leaked so up higher. A picture was already hanging on the next spot that they needed to get to. So funny thing is the holes are still there now for future repairs and only a few know of the holes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Unfortunately, they aren't an end all do all mostly due to individual cost, but for small projects they can't be beat. I talked to our company plumber when I wanted to add a garage utility sink to my own house and he told me straight up to ****can the copper idea and run red and blue pex with sharks.
Most of the plumbers that I've talked to like sharkbites a lot as long as they're NOT buried in the wall. A problem I had with one (male fitting) is that it would twist when trying to screw on tub faucet. Going to be a tough if spout ever has to be removed.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts