Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 1025r last week and finally got a break from the rain to get started on my many projects. 1st on my list is to clean up an area where I hired a company to shred a grove of trees on a corner of my 4 acres last week. It’s an area about 100’ x 200’ that is covered with shredded wood. It’s a large amount of wood from chips to pretty large chunks mixed in with all the brush & honeysuckle that was growing there. I got on the clean up Tuesday and just using the bucket loaded my 6 x 10 dump trailer and hauled that load to the dump. Now my plan was to haul several loads to the dump or any other place I could find to take it and try to burn the rest or maybe work it into the soil. It’s still pretty wet and the one load I hauled off was just over 4000 lbs (that’s my max payload on this dump trailer). I was able to minimize any dirt loaded in the trailer but I feel it can be done better (I loaded more dirt than I wanted to.) With that being my 1st time to work this machine as expected I need some practice but I’ve worked buckets on loaders in the past and as with all of us I’ll only get better with seat time. I’ve decided a debris fork may help some with this application but I’m positive it will be useful for many other projects & chores so I ordered one from Titan along with forks & their new draw bar with rack for suitcase weights.

I guess my question to you more seasoned operators. Am I moving down the right path here? I’m trying to minimize dirt loaded and I’m finding some wet material in general due to the recent rains - it’s $35/ton to dump at the land fill and that 1st load was $79. My estimate is i need to haul about 6 to 8 (?) more loads to get this area cleared enough to manage it without haul-off.
Any ideas are much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Let it dry out a couple days before messing with it. You could also toss it to help it dry faster if you want seat time. Maybe look into a rake application. Be patient. You’ll be a pro in no time. Congrats on your new tractor!

Reactions: EVT and texomakid

·
Registered
536 Posts
Let it dry out a couple days before messing with it. You could also toss it to help it dry faster if you want seat time. Maybe look into a rake application. Be patient. You’ll be a pro in no time. Congrats on your new tractor!
I agree with the above.

Enjoy your new professional work equipment or as I prefer calling mine, a great toy that happens to make work easier :thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

Reactions: texomakid

·
Registered
947 Posts
X2 on the rake.

Without seeing pics its hard to evaluate but a landscape rake might be a good investment.

Reactions: texomakid

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys and here’s a few pics. I’ve considered a rake as it will come in handy but without any rake experience I was thinking this was a bit too heavy so that’s why for now I went with the 48” debris fork. It should be here Friday? (the 42” forks I ordered from Titan arrived in less than 48 hours from when I ordered them - great service so far from Titan.)
I walked out and took a few pics so you can see my shred field (Chedder Chesse would be better )
The one shot was just to show off my rainbow to the Northwest - more rain coming
IMG_4602.JPG IMG_4603.JPG IMG_4600.JPG IMG_4598.JPG

Reactions: Kbar

·
Registered
153 Posts
Lots of Cedar

You could always get a giant hamster.

:laugh:

·
Registered
536 Posts
You could always get a giant hamster.

:laugh:
Maybe a herd of hamsters :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you go with a landscape rake, get the wheels that go with it . . . that makes it easier to control the depth that the rake enters the ground.

I bet you project will look great once you have finished!

Reactions: Kbar and texomakid

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Your headed down a good path with debris forks. I think the Titan ones have an 8” spread between them. You’ll get more volume in your loads. Just be careful not to overload it with weight because clamp on anything that sticks out 21 inches will put stress on your cutting edge of the bucket. Now, as for not getting dirt in there, you’ll have to practice. Those tines on that particular set of forks have a down cut angle on the tips, so be careful not to let it bite in when scooping. I almost recommended some edge tamers for this application. I saw a vid of some guy ramming into a pile of leaves and moving a lot of them without damaging his lawn with those bad boys on. They’re like training wheels for your loader bucket. How dense is your dirt? Is it muddy under those grindings? I made my own brush/debris forks and got pretty got at using them for brush and logs. With the smaller stuff, I would raise the loader arms up, and angle the forks almost vertical down, and slowly “rake” forward, keeping a close eye on ground penetration. Go slow and take your time. Speed will come, but technique is learned with patience. Have fun!

Reactions: texomakid and EVT

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Man what I have learned on this first project. Conditions much improved so over the last week I’ve worked on cleaning up all the cedar trees I had to have shredded to comply with the addition of a 3rd spray head with the new aerobic septic system.

After waiting a few days the shredded wood was much dryer. I received the debris forks Monday and gave them a shot. I could definitely get more material with them but they made loading in the 6 x 10 dump trailer more difficult. What I found was I’m better off just using the bucket. It makes loading easier and as most of you know my operating of the FEL has gotten much better with each load. Going good but I’m averaging around $45 to $50 per load hauling this to the dump and it’s 30 miles away (one way) about a 60 mile trip. I’ve made 7 trips so far & got at least 5 to 7 more to get it where I can deal with all this shredded wood.

So yesterday I get the bright idea I’m gonna burn what’s left. No more dump fees, no more 60 mile trips.

So, after working on this all day yesterday I bet I didn’t get 1/2 a dump trailer equivalent burnt. I bet my neighbors hate me (the smoke is just unreal)

Sometimes putting in the effort doesn’t yield the results. So I’m gonna bit the bullet and haul this stuff off.

On another note: I bought this tractor with 57 hrs and I’m the 3rd owner. Almost spotless and not a scratch. In about 10 hours of use I’ve make multiple contacts with the front grill guard on the dump trailer, had to figure out how to tighten the FEL handle (I’m so strong I kept working it lose with all my muscle and the tractor is so dirty. Those first 2 owners didn’t really do anything with this tractor. Just styling & profiling I guess.

As frustrating as this has been it’s also fun. I’ll get it knocked out soon and move to the next project. I got a bunch of them.

Wish it was Cheddar and it would be gone already. I’ve also gave that giant hamster idea some thought.

As we say around this house - suck it up butter cup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts