Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally getting around to using my tractor to process next year's firewood. I use the forks to move a log onto my sawbuck, get off the tractor, start my chain saw make a few cuts and repeat. Maybe five to seven minutes to take care of the log. Starting and stopping the tractor really shakes it around and I'd imagine it's a lot on the starter too. At what point do you guys just say, let it idle? 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 2 minutes???

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Boy oh boy, this has been talked about plenty on this forum...almost like oil threads and diesel additives:laugh:
Seems like the general consensus is 5 minutes or so. I might be on the 10 to 15 minute side of mountain.

·
Registered
421 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't shut it off for every 5-7 minute cut job, not because I think it hurts the machine per se but because I would get annoyed with continually restarting it. On the other hand, I wouldn't keep it running for hours at a time either because you're just burning fuel then. Maybe a happy medium like cut a couple, shut it off for one, cut a couple, repeat...???

·
Registered
84 Posts
Without emissions equipment, it doesn’t really do any harm to let it idle. For me it depends on the outside temps. If it’s hot, I don’t want it idling next to me being loud and blowing heat. If it’s below say 40* out, I’ll let it idle till the cows come home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
It depends on what I’m doing and how cold it is. If it’s above freezing I tend to shut my equipment off if I’m not going to be on for 5 minutes or so. Seems to be a waist of fuel to just let a machine idle. Some states have no idle laws. We have them but I haven’t heard of anyone getting anything more than a warning for doing it. The local news did a reminder piece about the no idle law this winter. Some overly concerned parents didn’t like that some other parents were leaving vehicles running while waiting for the kids to get out of school.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
Idle laws?

:lolol:

OP - it sounds like you need a helper.

Any way you could put more than one log on the forks and then roll the subsequent log onto the buck when your are done with the previous log?

At least the tractor has a starter. I'd be idling the darn chainsaw.....

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
As was mentioned earlier, IF you have a Tier 4 tractor with DPF installed..... idling and putt putting around will clog up your filters big time with diesel soot and cause no end of regens. Just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Letting it idle for more than five minutes just accumulates hours on your hour meter.

If I am upwind from the tractor I will let it idle for up to a maximum of five minutes.

If I am working downwind I always turn it off.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm finally getting around to using my tractor to process next year's firewood. I use the forks to move a log onto my sawbuck, get off the tractor, start my chain saw make a few cuts and repeat. Maybe five to seven minutes to take care of the log. Starting and stopping the tractor really shakes it around and I'd imagine it's a lot on the starter too. At what point do you guys just say, let it idle? 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 2 minutes???
Is that severe shaking when you started?

I get very little shaking when I start my tractor. It has about 125 hours on it now.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I let the 2030 idle, but not as low as it will idle, (I try for 1000-1200 rpm) when I have to get off to do something. As for hours, mines is geared to the tach at PTO rpm, so if I run 1/2 PTO rpm (about what I let idle at) 1 hour of idling (say 10times 6 minute each) will add 1/2 hour to my hour meter.

For me it's mostly pulling small stumps and bushes. Constantly on and off the tractor, chaining and unchaining, before and after each pull. The tractor is never shut off, sometimes never even idled down.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My non-shutting off has more to do with how far of a walk it is to the shed,,
When I am a half hour walk away,, the tractor will idle the whole time I am out there,,

I am POSITIVE the battery will take that EXACT INSTANT to die,, leaving me to have to walk to the shed,,

My little Yanmar engines use WAY less than a gallon of fuel per hour when working hard,,
I would imagine the engine is only using a couple ounces of fuel per hour to idle.

So, in my opinion,, I could idle the JD 650 all day for $6.00,,, :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Years ago I was watching the "Ice Trucker show,(cable TV at a Motel) and a guy said he never shuts his truck off and only did once when he needed an oil change. It was either working or idling. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
Years ago I was watching the "Ice Trucker show,(cable TV at a Motel) and a guy said he never shuts his truck off and only did once when he needed an oil change. It was either working or idling. :greentractorride:
When it got below 10* we were told leave the truck idling when we parked it - my truck was parked for 24 hours at a time. We didn’t have block heaters - even if we did no place to plug them in. Hauling mail had to stay on a strict schedule. I guess the cost of fuel idling was less than a service truck to come out and get it started let alone the wait.

As far as my tractor I shut it off more times than not. I am getting more and more sensitive to noise - when I am working on something in the woods I want quiet so I can here the forest speak to me.

·
Registered
536 Posts
When it got below 10* we were told leave the truck idling when we parked it - my truck was parked for 24 hours at a time. We didn’t have block heaters - even if we did no place to plug them in. Hauling mail had to stay on a strict schedule. I guess the cost of fuel idling was less than a service truck to come out and get it started let alone the wait.

As far as my tractor I shut it off more times than not. I am getting more and more sensitive to noise - when I am working on something in the woods I want quiet so I can here the forest speak to me.
yup :thumbup1gif: :thumbup1gif: :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone, based on what I've read and the fact that this is a 1025 without all that emissions stuff on it, I think I'll let it idle. My concerns were wearing out the starter and that little vibration at shutdown and restart. Not excessive, but what I think is normal shaking around for a second or two.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any way you could put more than one log on the forks and then roll the subsequent log onto the buck when your are done with the previous log?

At least the tractor has a starter. I'd be idling the darn chainsaw.....
I would have left my old chainsaw idling cause it was such a pain to start. Just got a new one and wow, what a difference!!!! Goodbye Craftsman (Poulan) and hello Stihl:) I actually hurt myself a few times trying to get and keep the Craftsman saw started.

Regarding the more than one log... Yeah, I did that a few times but it seemed like one fork or the other was always in the way of my cut. I could do it very carefully, but the idea of that chain hitting one of those forks, and the kickback?, I just gave up.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would have left my old chainsaw idling cause it was such a pain to start. Just got a new one and wow, what a difference!!!! Goodbye Craftsman (Poulan) and hello Stihl:) I actually hurt myself a few times trying to get and keep the Craftsman saw started.

Regarding the more than one log... Yeah, I did that a few times but it seemed like one fork or the other was always in the way of my cut. I could do it very carefully, but the idea of that chain hitting one of those forks, and the kickback?, I just gave up.
Would a 2x4 gear clamped to the top of the fork help?

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts

I had a friend, trucker, hauled fuel, double tankers (heard they are now outlawed :dunno:). His tractor was a "day cab" (no sleeper), during the blizzard of '78 he was turned back from entering the highway by the Police. He called his dispatcher. He was told: Fill the truck with diesel, find a motel, DON"T SHUT THE TRUCK OFF, stay put until they open the roads.

As for the tractor, my hearing is BAD (37 years of factory work), so I ALWAYS wear ear plugs when I run the tractor. I am trying to save what little hearing I have left.

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
I had a friend, trucker, hauled fuel, double tankers (heard they are now outlawed :dunno:). His tractor was a "day cab" (no sleeper), during the blizzard of '78 he was turned back from entering the highway by the Police. He called his dispatcher. He was told: Fill the truck with diesel, find a motel, DON"T SHUT THE TRUCK OFF, stay put until they open the roads.

As for the tractor, my hearing is BAD (37 years of factory work), so I ALWAYS wear ear plugs when I run the tractor. I am trying to save what little hearing I have left.
I really should also. I do wear my hearing protection when mowing, trimming, chain saw, etc. but even putting around with the tractor alone bothers me now.

I need to grab them along with my safety glasses which I seem to wear any time I am working on anything now.

·
Registered
927 Posts

Funny you mention that...just yesterday I was using my forks to hold up a tree that I was cutting. I was being very careful not to hit the forks. All it took was one little lapse and I hit the fork frame with the tip of the bar/chain. Brand new chain, was working really well, but after I hit the fork frame, I wouldn't cut through anything. I gave it a filing, which helped, but it wasn't as good as when I started.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts