Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some days, it just makes sense to stay inside where it's warm, and get some stuff done in the Kitchen.

I decided that after snow blowing the MIL's drive Sunday afternoon, dealing with her stupid as a post and constantly yapping Ratdogs, and a grumpy sneer as thanks, Today was that day.

Started with 6 cloves of Minced Garlic sauteed in EVOO, While Browning 1/2 lb Sausage in another Pan.

Then Deglazing the pan with 1 cup of Pinot, and adding a Medium sized bunch of Rapini.
Vampires, and stray pathogens don't last long around here...Garlic goes into everything but Breakfast Cereal.:fed:

While the Rapini cooked down, the Sausage got drained, and chopped in the Mini-processor to a fine texture, and tossed in a mixing bowl with approx 1 cup of Grated 24 Month Asiago.

Once the Rapini gets nice and tender(Stems firm but not mushy)and Pinot has reduced enough that the pan appears dry,
Set aside 1/2 to drain, Press dry in a kitchen towel, then chop fine and add to the Sausage and cheese.
At that point, toss in a heavy three finger pinch of fresh(Frozen and shattered works too!) chopped Basil, The finger pinch of chopped Parsley, and a pinch of oregano, and add 2 Beaten eggs.
Taste, and adjust salt at this point....yeah, yeah, yea....raw egg...call the Egg Police on me.;)

Spoon the mix into a 1 Gallon Ziplock and toss in the fridge to firm up. Leave an air gap in a corner, as you'll be snipping it off later for squeezing onto the Pasta.

For pasta I like to run 1/3 Semolina and 2/3 AP. 1 Cup of Semolina, 2 cups of AP, stirred in the bowl until blended and then sifted twice.
It makes for a firmer Pasta with a higher Protein content, and still elastic enough to deal with getting stretched on the Ravioli press.
I don't do Pasta machines or mixers. I can't get the feel for them, and Pasta dough is different every day you make it.
3 cups of Flour needs 5 Eggs at room temp, and about a Tbsp of EVOO..and just a half pinch of salt.

I use the "Pollo Beccare" method. Pecking with the thumb and fingers, lifting a couple inches and dropping the egg back into the "Volcano", busting up the yolks, and drawing flour into the egg, until a slurry forms, and then pecking and swirling until the dough forms...then working the dough until relaxed but firm and tucked into a ball. The Ball is then put in a plastic bag for 30min. to even out at room temp.

It should look something like this. 90% worked, resting, and moisture evening out in the dough.

While resting...it Sauce time.

I like a good Sage and Garlic butter/cream sauce.
Straight Pino Griggio or Orvieto Classico and Butter works too, but I like the garlic and sage for contrast.

1/2 stick of butter melted with 3 Tbsp of crushed or chopped Garlic.
Sautee until garlic starts to brown, and the smell is intense.

Add 3-4 leaves of Sage..the big leaves, some are small so use your judgement and sneak up on it, as Sage can go from weak to overpowering with just a smidge.
Add 1 cup of Pinot, 1/2 cup of cream, and simmer while stirring constantly while the wine is reduced, then set aside to cool.
(Enjoy a glass of Pinot while stirring to pass the time.)

From there it's all about running the dough through the Atlas to #6 or #7 setting, and stuffing the pasta dough, and sprinkling the Ravioli with a dusting of Semolina to keep them from sticking to each other, while the waiter comes to a boil.

5Min. in the hot tub, and it's time.
They will float fast, but go 5-6 Min.

Plate Ravioli on top of the reserved Rapini, spoon on 4-5 serving spoons of sauce, with a few good shaves of GOOD Imported Parmigiana Reggiano.

THEN top it all with a sprinkle of fresh Arugala, and a light drizzle of your best quality( We like Partana Sicilian single batch) Olive oil,
and serve with a good salad.

Buon appetito!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well I have officially gone against my surgeon's orders reading this wonderful post. As a Bariatric (Vertical Sleeve as of 12/19/2014) I am still restricted to a very high protein and extremely low carb/sugar diet. But this sounded wonderful and my mouth is watering. :)

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
That looks and sounds absolutely FABULOUS!!! Thanks for such detail and photos!! I too may have to get into making my own pasta, before long.

I wasn't hungry when I began reading the forum, this morning, but I am NOW!!! :fed::fed:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Well there went my New Years resolution. That looks fabulous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all!!

Forgot to mention that the 5 Egg dough will yield more than enough Pasta for the amount of Ravioli fill, and there will be enough left over to make a second batch.

Just double the volume of the filling by 50% to make enough Ravioli for 4 people, or cut the dough volume in half and set aside for the next days 'Sghetti noodles or what have you.

Fresh Ravioli will refrigerate for a day, and can be frozen.
Taking a day for a Ravioli Marathon, and freezing them makes for dozens of quick and easy meals all year.

My Favorite is Acorn Squash,Pear and Pistachio with Peccorino Toscana(Manchego will work too) cheese, in a Pumpkin and Marscapone sauce.
Take forever to make, but it's worth the fuss in the end IMO.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Man o man....what time is dinner...I'll bring the wine:yahoo:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That looks and sounds absolutely FABULOUS!!! Thanks for such detail and photos!! I too may have to get into making my own pasta, before long.

I wasn't hungry when I began reading the forum, this morning, but I am NOW!!! :fed::fed:
C'mon farmgirl...

What else are ya gonna do when winter stops by for the weekend down there?:lol:

Plain old AP flour, some eggs, a little EVOO, and you're in bidness.
Just use a rolling pin and crank out some Caramelle Pasta. Literally, fill the rolled dough, and roll it up like the wax paper on a Caramel candy.:fed:

If you want to get high tech, an Atlas Pasta roller runs around 35 bucks and they are made old school solid, to last forever.
Hit an antiques market in central Italy, and they will have tons of them that are 100 years old, that look like new...and you can still get parts for the things.:laugh:

Beats freezing yer tucas off pruning Blueberry bushes.:yahoo:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, nice!
I'm from the school of never too much garlic as well.
:good2:

Maybe I'll break out the Camera for the next batch of Butter garlic sauce.

Folks either love it, or run out of the house screaming.:lol:

It REALLY concentrates the flavor of Garlic, until it becomes something different. So much so, that most people who aren't used to Italian Cooking, can't figure out that it IS Garlic, because we tend to hide the flavor here.

Finding GOOD Hardneck Garlic is the only real challenge though.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Mmmm...Butter Garlic Sauce. :fed:

You do need to get that recipe up with photos too! :good2:

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
I just finished eating supper(hot wings). Now, I'm hungry again. :laugh:

Thanks for posting. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
My mouth is watering......

I'm adding this to the cookbook thread. I just wish I could cook. I've been known to burn water....:lol:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got to make my own pasta sometime. This post has pushed me over the edge, I'm going to try tonight. :)
Well...How did it go??

It's less of a science and more of a touchy feeley art thing, that takes a couple times to learn to trust your instincts and adjust things on the fly.

Pasta dough is like Bread dough. The eggs are never the same twice, the humidity is never the same two days in a row, and each bag of flour is different.
Once you find the feel for it, you're the constant.:thumbup1gif:

Once ya get it, you can do it on the fly and without a measuring cup, like the Nonnas in Hill towns all over Emiglia Romana.:lol:

How didja do?

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Thanks for contributing! It looks very tasty. :fed:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts