Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anybody knows if there are any sickle bar manufacturers for lawn tractors out there. When I was a kid, way back in the 60's, my father had a Massey Ferguson lawn tractor that was somewhere around 10-15 hp. He had a 4' (I think) belly mount sickle bar for it. I'd love to be able to find one that would work on a JD X320 lawn tractor. That thing was great for trimming along the edge of a pond and along a long driveway that the goldenrod is hanging into and sweeping the car as you go up the driveway. Seems like something like that would be in demand by some lawn mowing guys. I know it's a real niche area, but a sickle mower could be put on an old tractor that was being used as a spare or something. City lawn service companies probably wouldn't have a use for something like that but us guys out in the country could really use one. At least I could use one on a couple of accounts. and it would be a lot easier and much faster than using a trimmer. Along a pond using one would just cause the grass to just lay down and be easily raked up rather than turning it into confetti spreading it all in the pond. I just remember using it all the time. Our driveway was about 2 tenths of a mile long. That would be a lot of string trimming. I know most folks don't have driveways that long, but around here there are a lot of ponds and embankments that need trimming. I have a customer that has two ponds and doesn't want the grass going in the pond so I picked up a Stihl "power scythe" attachment for my FS 90 trimmer and it works great. The only drawback is the cutting length is only 9.8" long and her ponds are pretty big. All the while I was trimming, I found myself fantasizing about that sickle mower from the dim distant past. Oh Well. So if anybody knows if or where such a thing can be had, let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'll tag along.

Someone here has the perfect unit., I forget who...probly CadPlans.
Its a sickle that can run at any angle...including verticle.
Most have to be near flat by design but there is that One model thats Different.

Seen lots lately on the CL...but don't know the one I'm looking for.

They've gone the way of the wind probly for a few reasons....pita ,safety ,maint.

Yes the similar blades are still used but in the belly of a combine /whatever...

keep this thread alive and we'll find the answer.

·
Registered
12,506 Posts
here's a pic of what ur looking forits called a Haban sickle bar mower for garden tractors.

probably on the garden tractor forum called the the weekend something:banghead: darn i forget the last word of it.

someone will come along with more info a bit later. at least u got a pic of one at least. good luck

edit: if u click on the pic it will take u to many more pics of mowers (garden tractors) with the Haban sickle bar mowers mounted

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
weekend freedom machines maybe?

Its weekend something I've seen reference too

·
Registered
822 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Reactions: BigJim55 and rtgt

·
Registered
839 Posts
The one for lawn tractors was the Haban sickle mower. They are out there in the weeds, some have been found restored to working condition. They are highly sought after.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
I just thought of this. I have a 1990 or 92 sales brochure that came with 318 purchase documents with a mystery entry of a sickle bar for 332’s only. I’ve yet to learn anything else about it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I just thought of this. I have a 1990 or 92 sales brochure that came with 318 purchase documents with a mystery entry of a sickle bar for 332’s only. I’ve yet to learn anything else about it.
Can you scan those and post, I would like to see what was written about those sickle mower attachments.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Can you scan those and post, I would like to see what was written about those sickle mower attachments.
Its pretty well buried now. I have a whole bookshelf of similar stuff. It was just a line in the list of available attachments. No part or model number, no price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts