Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Enorossi 6' sickle bar with the mechanical lift and want to replace the mechanical cable lift system with a hydraulic cylinder. Cable system is cumbersome and time consuming setting up. I often have to change the amount of cable length to adjust the angle of the bar when mowing my pond edge. My thoughts are a hydraulic cylinder connected to the rear hydraulic ports would solve this.

They have the hydraulic kit as a separate add on but it has me scratching my head on how it works. There is only one hydraulic line I can see attached to the cylinder. Can someone please school me on how that could work? Check out this website. The sickle bar is shown with the hydraulic cylinder. Beaver Valley Supply Company - Enorossi Sickle Bar Mowers

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Looks like a single acting cylinder to raise it, and the bar's weight is enough to lower it.

Closing off the single hydraulic line should "lock" it in place.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I see what you mean. Makes sense as it doesn't need force to lower to the desired angle. Duh huh moment on my part.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Needs a vent

Ok. I see what you mean. Makes sense as it doesn't need force to lower to the desired angle. Duh huh moment on my part.
Make sure you get the vent for the "empty" side of the cylinder. They are usually a plug with a 90 degree hole in the plug so water doesn't get in.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Treefarmer:bigthumb:

I guess I had in mind a double acting cylinder like my top link. If I pull together the parts myself I can go that route. I have the dual rear scv's, why not? Do you guys see a downside to a double acting vs single?

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
No down side, It is just cheaper for them to make it that way and people that buy them to put on old tractors and they may not have dual acting hydraulics.

The other advantage of dual acting is everything is sealed. With the vent in the other end it can suck in dust every time it moves. Eventually this dirt will make its way into your hydraulics and also wear the piston seals. After they wear enough some oil will leak past and will squirt out at the end of the stroke. The other disadvantage of the single is that your oil level drops every time you extend the cylinder since none is being returned.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Double acting it is. Thanks Herm! Never thought about crud infiltrating my hydraulic oil with the single action.

Thanks to all who responded. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
One advantage

No down side, It is just cheaper for them to make it that way and people that buy them to put on old tractors and they may not have dual acting hydraulics.

The other advantage of dual acting is everything is sealed. With the vent in the other end it can suck in dust every time it moves. Eventually this dirt will make its way into your hydraulics and also wear the piston seals. After they wear enough some oil will leak past and will squirt out at the end of the stroke. The other disadvantage of the single is that your oil level drops every time you extend the cylinder since none is being returned.
I agree with all of the above but depending on the linkage, you may need to modify it some so the blade can move up on it's own over uneven ground. Hopefully that's already in the linkage but if not you can build in a slide, chain or cable etc. as part of the lift. You don't want the double acting cylinder to hold the blade down, it needs to be able to float up as necessary.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One of the rear remotes has a float function. I love these new 2 series!

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
I agree with all of the above but depending on the linkage, you may need to modify it some so the blade can move up on it's own over uneven ground. Hopefully that's already in the linkage but if not you can build in a slide, chain or cable etc. as part of the lift. You don't want the double acting cylinder to hold the blade down, it needs to be able to float up as necessary.

Treefarmer
I wondered about that. I am trying to think on our older tractors with single hydraulic if they will float up, I’m not sure if they do. :dunno: but the dual with float would be ideal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts