Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs.FW has a sideboard(buffet) that was for her mom. I have no idea how old it is, but it was in her mom's house when I met her in '71; and it was very old back then.
Since her mom passed away, we've had it in storage and are just now getting around to refinishing it. When completed, it will be use in the dining room as a coffee bar.
It had a beveled mirror in the upper framework, but I removed it, as the backing was coming loose. Plans are to inset a section of rusted corrugated roofing instead.
IMG_3365.JPG
IMG_3366.JPG

This morning, I sanded the top with a belt sander and removed the lower drawer and framework. The two upper drawers will be reinstalled and I'll add two shelves below. Mrs.FW plans to paint it with a light gray chalking paint finish and rework the top with a dark walnut stain.
IMG_3369.JPG

More to come as this project progresses.

BTW, these pics were taken this morning. Check out the green grass and the blooming shrubbery. :good2:

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
I agree. That's a nice piece put a mirror back n it. :munch: We will be watching :munch::munch:

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I think a mirror in a coffee bar would be out of place. Who wants to see the back of a Kureg (or what ever other machines, stuff will be on there)? I like the idea of the roofing. Do what's best for the intended purpose as well as what ever it is that you want to do, after all...It's yours. :good2:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking forward to seeing the finished project. Not sure how the rusted corrugated will match. :munch:
We are re-thinking our thoughts.........

I agree with Rope_Chucker that the corrugated metal will probably look out of place. I suggest looking into having a new mirror made, or make a tile insert, or something along those lines.
Mrs. FW agrees that the mirror will look better, but it will need re-silvering.

I agree. That's a nice piece put a mirror back n it. :munch: We will be watching :munch::munch:
Mrs.FW and I agree.

She's going to paint that beautiful wood? Tell me I misunderstood and restore my faith in humanity.
You did not misunderstand. :unknown:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all your input. :thumbup1gif:

I searched the interweb last evening for processes to re-silver the beveled-edge glass, which is original to the sideboard. Looks like a time consuming process, but time is on my side.

The chalking paint, other than the top, is what she wants. The reason for this is one of the side panels has ripples in it. She thinks, with these ripples, painting it wouldn't matter. At this point, with all of your input she is seriously re-thinking the finish.

I told her I could replace the rippled side panel with a section of Luan, then stain it to match. If we go this route, the front doors and lower drawer will remain removed. She wants a bottom and middle shelf, no matter what.

It is a fine piece of kitchen furniture and was her mom's. She grew up with this sideboard in her mom's kitchen, so it's part of her childhood memories. Whatever she decides to do with it is up to her. The way she looks at it, no matter how it turns out, it is still a part of rememberance of her mom.

·
Corndog Hater
11,685 Posts
Here's my .02, because that's all it's worth. Knowing what your dining room turned out looking like, I think the gray paint and walnut top would look good in there. It would be a modern take on a piece of furniture that Mrs. FW's has great memories of, her interpretation of it. As for the mirror replacement....how about putting some ship lap in that section that matches the wall in the dining room? Kind of tie it into the room?:unknown:

Between you and your bride, not matter what you decide, it is going to look awesome because you both do excellent work.:good2:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,263 Posts
I think you both should do what works for you. My thoughts when I first seen the pic was, "that would make a great wet bar". It's the right size. Good luck with it. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
You might want to check the cost of a "new" beveled mirror, a replacement.

I had this old window from Missey's folks. I had stored in the garage for years and years. It was taken out of a remodel they were doing and I had planned on using it some day, some way. I don't remember what the three mirrors cost but she was very pleased with the finished product.

IMG_5470.JPG

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CT, your suggestion is a very good one. If it were to be placed against a solid wall, I think the ship-lap inset would look great, but she decided to place the it against the ship-lap wall. I/We think it would clash, so she wants the mirror reinstalled.

Marlin, I was going to buy a regular mirror to fit. I don't think I want to get into re-silvering, at this time. I didn't even think of buying a new beveled edged mirror.
I'll stop at the glass shop on my way to town, to check their price. Thanks.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you both should do what works for you. My thoughts when I first seen the pic was, "that would make a great wet bar". It's the right size. Good luck with it. :bigthumb:
I thought the same thing. :thumbup1gif:
===============================================================================

I had to put it under the lean-to, it was getting hot in the shop. I finished sanding the top and sides over the weekend. I also fit the two shelves(where the doors and lower drawer used to be).

Before

IMG_3366.JPG

After
IMG_3424.JPG

I haven't sanded and stained the two upper drawer yet. The inside of the side panels were stained black in the area behind the doors. I guess this didn't matter when it was originally built, as it wouldn't be seen. It was not stained where the lower drawer was. I'll have to stain that black to match. If not, I'll have to install false-inner panels; and I don't feel like getting into doing that. I'm not a woodworker. Besides, the boss said it didn't matter being black on the inner panel walls.

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
I had to put it under the lean-to, it was getting hot in the shop. I finished sanding the top and sides over the weekend. I also fit the two shelves(where the doors and lower drawer used to be).

Before

View attachment 501818

After
View attachment 501810

I haven't sanded and stained the two upper drawer yet. The inside of the side panels were stained black in the area behind the doors. I guess this didn't matter when it was originally built, as it wouldn't be seen. It was not stained where the lower drawer was. I'll have to stain that black to match. If not, I'll have to install false-inner panels; and I don't feel like getting into doing that. I'm not a woodworker. Besides, the boss said it didn't matter being black on the inner panel walls.
As I suspect Missey will say when I show it to her . . . 'very cute'. Are you putting the doors back? :unknown:

Looking forward to a finished picture . . . :munch:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,263 Posts
Wow! That made a change of it's look. I like the after look better then the before. :bigthumb:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As I suspect Missey will say when I show it to her . . . 'very cute'. Are you putting the doors back? :unknown:

Looking forward to a finished picture . . . :munch:
No, Marlin.

She wanted open shelves below the two drawers. Her thoughts are to store coffee mugs and a couple wire baskets(for napkins and such) on the first shelf. Other things like creamer and sweetener, in canisters on the bottom shelf, along with other odds & ends.

Below are some of the photos that inspired this. Click here for more photos.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
That's a beautiful piece. You should be proud of the restoration.

Maybe replace the mirror, with a new one that's been antiqued.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's a beautiful piece. You should be proud of the restoration. Maybe replace the mirror, with a new one that's been antiqued.
Thanks, 56. Good idea.
Although, I'll place the original mirror back in and give it a look-see before doing that. Might just give it the right character.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Cool project !!!! Lots of good ideas as well , but in the end it's your piece , and you'll do what you like . Following progress ...... :munch:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Being the weather was great, I worked a bit on it today. Was able to apply two coats of polyurethane(matt). I removed about 1/3 the silver from the beveled edge mirror. I'm hoping to remove it all without scratching the glass.

I don't wear a watch, but it took 6 beers to do all of that. :good2:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Being the weather was great, I worked a bit on it today. Was able to apply two coats of polyurethane(matt). I removed about 1/3 the silver from the beveled edge mirror. I'm hoping to remove it all without scratching the glass.

I don't wear a watch, but it took 6 beers to do all of that. :good2:
6 beers...5 mins each....1 pee break....=33 mins :drinks:

You work fast...:laugh:

1 - 20 of 103 Posts