Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to owning a tractor. I have a JD 5065e and looking to purchase a few attachments. First a Rotary Cutter / Brush Hog, Rake, and Box Blade. However, I am stuck with trying to find the best width for each implement. The tractor is 78" wide so do I need attachments that are wider then that? Would a 6 foot (72 inch) brush hog work? and the same question for the other attachments.

Thanks
Dave

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Generally Dave, attachments are rated for your PTO horsepower. You can always go smaller depending the task at hand.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The most accurate answer is "It Depends". It depends on your intentions with the tractor. For the rotary cutter, you're going to want to go as wide as you can within the constraints of both PTO HP requirements and the area you need to maneuver. For the rake and box blade, wider than the tires is always helpful so you don't have your tires off the surface you're working. I can tell you that we have a 5065E with an MX8 semi-mount and it is more than enough power for 95% of what I've encountered. If you're not breaking brush and simply mowing pastures on a regular basis, a 9' or 10' cutter might be the ticket.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
Width depends on what your machine and handle and what you are trying to do. Lots of people want their snowplow, snowblower and tiller wider than their tractor so they can use them without getting their tires into the mess. If you are using a box blade on a gravel driveway that probably isn't a concern. IMO, that's probably true for a bush hog too.

I usually try to buy implements that are wider than my tires as long as my machine has enough HP to run it as a general rule of thumb.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
The 5065 is pretty darn close to my older 5320. Depending on how thick the stuff you need to mow is, you should be able to run an 8-10' bush hog. I use a 10' rear blade and it seems like a good match for the tractor. 8' might be a little better, I can slide the tractor around if I take too much of a bite in heavy, wet snow. Haven't had a problem in dirt, but I have much better traction.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Nothing to really add here. All good advice. Snow blades, box scraper blades, wider than tire stance. Rotary implements, by HP, PTO rating & the physical conditions related to the job. Good luck!

·
Registered
702 Posts
90% of my 5055E's use is in the woods. Therefore I buy/build implements the same width as my tires or just a little wider. I have a Woods bush hog (ALL rotary cutters are "bush hogs" like all soft drinks are "cokes" or "cold dranks.") If my tractor will fit between the trees, then my bush hog SHOULD fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts