Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a new JD X758 in July and took delivery in September. I love the tractor and it climbs my steep hills with no problem, and does a nice jub cutting the lawn.

The first time I used it when I got off the seat a noticed a spring loose on the seat. Looking at it I realized this is the spring that pulls the seat back when adjusting the seat. OK, simple part must be a bad spring.

Contacted dealer they said they would order a new spring and contact me when it comes in. About 6 weeks latter I get an email that they could not get just the spring and they had to order a "Bracket Kit" to get the spring. I researched this myself and learned is part of a kit, part number AUC 12797.

Thursday December 16, I get a phone call from service manager that the part is in and he wants to pickup the tractor to install the new seat spring. I was shocked that they would even think of bringing the tractor into the service bay to install a spring on the seat, (a ten minute job). During our conversation he started to wonder if he had the correct part and asked me to bring in the broken spring to compare against the new spring.

So Friday I drive down to the dealership (about a 30minute drive each way), I brought the spring and the complete seat with me, hoping he would just give me the spring or install it on the seat. We verified he did obtain the correct spring, but he said since it was a warranty repair he had to log the tractor into the service area, create a service ticket and it had to be installed by a certified JD mechanic. He said he could not install the spring on the seat, since JD require the tractor be brought into the service bay for all warranty work. He told me the part was $85 and if I wanted to pay for it I could take it with me, I told him I sure I can find a similar spring for about $5 and any hardware store and I can install it in less time that it took and to drive to the dealership.

So asked him when he could do it, and he said when the tractor is brought into the yard then he schedules the service, and he is currently backlogged about 4 to 5 weeks. Therefore my tractor is going to sit in the dealers fenced in lot (outside) for 4 to 5 weeks for a 10 minute repair!!!

I have a 2011 JD2720, and now a 2021 X758 the tractors and and all the attachments stay covered in a garage. They have never been left outside.

Needless to say, I can live without that spring and since it is now snowing and I can certainly use it tomorrow to clear the 8" foretasted snow.

I just a little upset, that you would think a simple part like this would justify a quick efficient repair, especially on a brand new tractor.

It does not appear they want to do any quick warranty repairs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2022 Ram 3500 CTD
456 Posts
I’m with you. There is no way I would drop my tractors off somewhere to sit outside for 4-5 weeks. Not only because of weather but also theft or damage. Also…Most homeowners policies only cover your tractor when its home on your property. Not on trailers and not at a repair facility. Dealer and repair facilities are supposed to have garage liability policies to cover customers property…do they? I think it’s ludicrous the service dept wants you to leave your new tractor outside at their facility for a month or more to fix a seat. If you bought it there, I would be going to see my salesman and the GM about this matter.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Have you been able to find the spring in JD Parts? Looking at the parts for the deluxe seat (which I assume you have), it does not list any springs available separately for the seat back. They are parts of the "bracket kit" which is sold as an assembly.

JD does have certain rules for warranty work. When my X500 needed a new seat under warranty they would not just give me a new seat in exchange for the old one. But fortunately they offered to send out a technician to replace the seat on-site.

I wouldn't worry about your garden tractor sitting at the dealer. Most large dealers have millions of dollars worth of equipment sitting around and if anything happens to your machine they will make it right.

Line Font Parallel Art Illustration

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
...Therefore my tractor is going to sit in the dealers fenced in lot (outside) for 4 to 5 weeks for a 10 minute repair!!!...
Since it isn't a 'critical' repair, they could have just offered to have a tech stop over and do the 10 minute fix at their convenience when doing another service call in the area. You may have to wait a while, but IMO that beats hauling the unit there, possibly paying $75 each way for transporting it, and being without it for 5 weeks. But that would involve something previously known as 'customer service', which is as rare as dodo bird sightings these days.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since it isn't a 'critical' repair, they could have just offered to have a tech stop over and do the 10 minute fix at their convenience when doing another service call in the area. You may have to wait a while, but IMO that beats hauling the unit there, possibly paying $75 each way for transporting it, and being without it for 5 weeks. But that would involve something previously known as 'customer service', which is as rare as dodo bird sightings these days.
I asked him about sending a person to install the spring in my heated garage. He told me they do not do that, the person that picks up and drops off the tractor is not a "trained mechanic". This is just installing a spring, a "Trained Monkey" can do that!
I forgot to ask if he was charging me for pickup and drop-off, that would be absurd but I certainly would not put it past them!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you been able to find the spring in JD Parts? Looking at the parts for the deluxe seat (which I assume you have), it does not list any springs available separately for the seat back. They are parts of the "bracket kit" which is sold as an assembly.

JD does have certain rules for warranty work. When my X500 needed a new seat under warranty they would not just give me a new seat in exchange for the old one. But fortunately they offered to send out a technician to replace the seat on-site.

I wouldn't worry about your garden tractor sitting at the dealer. Most large dealers have millions of dollars worth of equipment sitting around and if anything happens to your machine they will make it right.

View attachment 817646
The spring is part of Bracket group #6. You have to buy the entire kit to get the spring, that is part number AUC 12797. Dealer price $85

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I asked him about sending a person to install the spring in my heated garage. He told me they do not do that, the person that picks up and drops off the tractor is not a "trained mechanic". This is just installing a spring, a "Trained Monkey" can do that!
I forgot to ask if he was charging me for pickup and drop-off, that would be absurd but I certainly would not put it past them!!
So your dealer does not have a field repair department? Do they handle farm equipment or do they only sell lawn and garden equipment? Like I mentioned above, my local dealer sent out a guy in a field service truck just to swap out the seat on my X500.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
The spring is part of Bracket group #6. You have to buy the entire kit to get the spring, that is part number AUC 12797. Dealer price $85
I'm showing a retail price of $57.56. Is there THAT much price variation between dealers? GreenFarmParts also shows it as $57.56.

Rectangle Font Magenta Circle Brand

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
warranty repairs usually do not include transportation .......meaning you pay the hauling

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
warranty repairs usually do not include transportation .......meaning you pay the hauling
Interesting he did not give me the option, I have a trailer I can certainly haul the tractor myself, When he called me on Thursday and just wanted to setup a time to pick the tractor up on Friday.
That would make no sense at all $150 to $200 charge for hauling a tractor for a $57 to $85 part and a 10 minute install.

Yes, this is a large dealer in New Hampshire, they certainly sell farm equipment, but I would suspect a customer with a 6000 series tractor is going to get better level of service then my little X758.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Depends on the dealer, Mine hauled for free when I had warranty work done many years ago, I don't know if that is still the case though. I have heard there are dealers that will charge for anything they can get away with and other dealers are just the opposite, going out of their way to keep their customers serviced with minimum hassle.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,803 Posts
It specifically says in the warranty statement which covers the equipment, that transportation of the machine to and from the dealer is not covered under the warranty.

GENERAL PROVISIONS – The warranties described below are provided by Deere & Company (“John Deere”) to the original purchaser of new Turf & Utility Equipment (“Equipment”) from John Deere or authorized John Deere dealers. Under these warranties, John Deere will repair or replace, at its option, any covered part which is found to be defective in material or workmanship during the applicable warranty term.

Warranty service must be performed by a dealer or service center authorized by John Deere to sell and/or service the type of Equipment involved, which will use only new or remanufactured parts or components furnished by John Deere. Warranty service will be performed without charge to the purchaser for parts or labor. The purchaser will be responsible, however, for any service call and/or transportation of product to and from the dealer’s or service center’s place of business, for any premium charged for overtime labor requested by the purchaser, and for any service and/or maintenance not directly related to any defect covered under the warranties below. These warranties are transferable, provided an authorized dealer is notified of the ownership change, and John Deere approves the transfer.

Here is the link to the page where you can open and read or download the "residential warranty statement".

Reactions: Toonzy

·
Registered
124 Posts
That same spring was broken when I received my x738 this past September. Didn't notice it right away but a week later I did. They fixed it no charge as I would expect. I've had them check out a few other things and it's been picked up and dropped off no charge to me (20 miles one way). Maybe my dealer is not the norm but they sure are nice to deal with. Sucks that there is such a long wait but I think it's at least a few weeks out at my dealer as well. The spring really wasn't that big of a deal as once I set the seat I'm not going to mess with it, but I totally get that it shouldn't be broken to begin with.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I ordered a new JD X758 in July and took delivery in September. I love the tractor and it climbs my steep hills with no problem, and does a nice jub cutting the lawn.

The first time I used it when I got off the seat a noticed a spring loose on the seat. Looking at it I realized this is the spring that pulls the seat back when adjusting the seat. OK, simple part must be a bad spring.

Contacted dealer they said they would order a new spring and contact me when it comes in. About 6 weeks latter I get an email that they could not get just the spring and they had to order a "Bracket Kit" to get the spring. I researched this myself and learned is part of a kit, part number AUC 12797.

Thursday December 16, I get a phone call from service manager that the part is in and he wants to pickup the tractor to install the new seat spring. I was shocked that they would even think of bringing the tractor into the service bay to install a spring on the seat, (a ten minute job). During our conversation he started to wonder if he had the correct part and asked me to bring in the broken spring to compare against the new spring.

So Friday I drive down to the dealership (about a 30minute drive each way), I brought the spring and the complete seat with me, hoping he would just give me the spring or install it on the seat. We verified he did obtain the correct spring, but he said since it was a warranty repair he had to log the tractor into the service area, create a service ticket and it had to be installed by a certified JD mechanic. He said he could not install the spring on the seat, since JD require the tractor be brought into the service bay for all warranty work. He told me the part was $85 and if I wanted to pay for it I could take it with me, I told him I sure I can find a similar spring for about $5 and any hardware store and I can install it in less time that it took and to drive to the dealership.

So asked him when he could do it, and he said when the tractor is brought into the yard then he schedules the service, and he is currently backlogged about 4 to 5 weeks. Therefore my tractor is going to sit in the dealers fenced in lot (outside) for 4 to 5 weeks for a 10 minute repair!!!

I have a 2011 JD2720, and now a 2021 X758 the tractors and and all the attachments stay covered in a garage. They have never been left outside.

Needless to say, I can live without that spring and since it is now snowing and I can certainly use it tomorrow to clear the 8" foretasted snow.

I just a little upset, that you would think a simple part like this would justify a quick efficient repair, especially on a brand new tractor.

It does not appear they want to do any quick warranty repairs.
Not siding with the dealer but I'm sure they are like every other dealer in that they got more service work than they have hands to do the work. And first come first served is only fair though you DID pay close to 15 grand for a new tractor

NOW with that said, why couldn't they have just said that as rigid as Deere's warranty repair policy seems to be (and it's probably due to some legal issue) that they will add you to the repair schedule and call you when your turn comes up... and to be sure that you have the tractor there for the repair and they'll get you in and out.

How can a business be so out of touch as not to see that people actually use the equipment they have?

Having it sitting on their lot is downtime and you'd think they would know that time is money for not just them but you.

·
Registered
2022 Ram 3500 CTD
456 Posts
Not siding with the dealer but I'm sure they are like every other dealer in that they got more service work than they have hands to do the work. And first come first served is only fair though you DID pay close to 15 grand for a new tractor

NOW with that said, why couldn't they have just said that as rigid as Deere's warranty repair policy seems to be (and it's probably due to some legal issue) that they will add you to the repair schedule and call you when your turn comes up... and to be sure that you have the tractor there for the repair and they'll get you in and out.

How can a business be so out of touch as not to see that people actually use the equipment they have?

Having it sitting on their lot is downtime and you'd think they would know that time is money for not just them but you.
Pretty much how I feel too. That is a reasonable expectation for a customer and a reasonable service dept. should accommodate it.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
If you bought from a dealer that sells and services everything from lawn mowers through combines and seeders and ag tractors, realize going in that the big farm equipment guys are going to get priority service. There may be times during harvest season when the dealer's techs are literally out in the field doing emergency calls on balers and combines. There may only be a trainee in the shop doing routine stuff on the smaller machines. When the experienced guy gets back from working on ag equipment he picks up where he left off on your 1025R, or whatever lawn equipment is next in line.

Kinda like triage in an emergency room. The broken baler with hay waiting on the ground with rain forecast for tomorrow gets seen before the sick X758 with an acre of grass to mow.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
My dealer is not huge but handles everything from a lawn mower to large farm tractors/combines/equipment. They have a dedicated lawn and garden service department (2 techs). That said, a full line JD dealer should have a dedicated L&G service department. And if the dealer "really wants to" they could give the part and handle the paper work to show warranty coverage. Afterall it is not rocket science in this case. Just sayin'.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.