Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 1025R TLB and want to get some ideas of the simplest and least expensive way that I can move a couple of empty trailers around on my property (short distances). One is a small pop up camper style (gutted for hauling grass/twigs) and the other a 7x14 cargo trailer. The cargo weighs no more than 2500 lbs. I just want to move them around safely and easily (empty of course) without removing my FEL or BH, is this possible?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,979 Posts
If you do not want to remove the loader or BH that really limits your options.

Take a look at the bolt-on receiver hitch from KBOGH. I have one on my bucket and use it to move around my 5x10 landscape trailer.

Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks <<Bolt-On>>

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,201 Posts
"Simplest and least expensive way". Take the BH and FEL off. It was made easy to do for a reason. Get a draw bar for the 3PH and put a ball on it that fits the trailers and have fun. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
The simplest way is to mount a 2 inch hitch receiver on the top of the bucket on the FEL. Then you will need a drop down ball mount to get the hitch ball low enough to fit under the trailer coupler. Probably a 12 inch drop. That is how I move my trailer. It is a gooseneck, so the ball is where I can see it. You will have a little problem in seeing the hitch ball, so will probably need to get off and on the tractor a couple of times to make the connection. Then just lift the FEL a little and move the trailer.

Dave

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Heavy Hitch sells a 2" receiver that mounts on the front of the tractor. It does not interfere with the FEL when nothing is attached to it. You will have to lift the FEL up over your trailer, then connect to the 2" receiver on the tractor. It should be easier putting the trailers in tight spaces when you are comfortably working in the forward direction.

·
Administrator
17,298 Posts

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
The simplest way is to mount a 2 inch hitch receiver on the top of the bucket on the FEL. Then you will need a drop down ball mount to get the hitch ball low enough to fit under the trailer coupler. Probably a 12 inch drop. That is how I move my trailer. It is a gooseneck, so the ball is where I can see it. You will have a little problem in seeing the hitch ball, so will probably need to get off and on the tractor a couple of times to make the connection. Then just lift the FEL a little and move the trailer.

Dave
I use this same setup. Having the trailer in front of you makes it very easy to move into tight spots.

1026R-2.JPG

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Another option is a fork frame with integrated receiver, certainly not the "cheapest" but arguably the most versatile, just your 1025 TLB is:

Artillian John Deere QA Pallet Fork Sets
While possibly a good practical option for moving a trailer, Artillian pallet forks are about the furthest thing from 'inexpensive' of an option that could be had. I believe Everything Attachments and other brands make good pallet forks with a receiver hitch for much less.

Rob

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Although I eventually built a trailer mover for the 3 point hitch, before that I just used a ball mount modified to pin on the bottom edge of the FEL bucket on the 1025R. All that was involved was drilling a hole just behind the bucket edge, cutting a slot in a hollow ball mount & adding a vertical hole.

The pin on bucket mount has worked fine for moving unloaded trailers around, as far as weight goes. I still use it on occasion when I need to maneuver a trailer into a tight area. I have used it for the single axle 6x12 box trailer, the little 4x8 ATV trailer, the tandem axle 18' car hauler & the tandem axle 5x10 dump trailer without any issues to date.

Nick

·
Registered
45 Posts
Visibility is key when moving several trailers around. I used to use a 3 point hitch attachment, which works great, but a loader mounted hitch gives much better maneuverability. I have an attachment that replaces the bucket and gives you great visibility. Clamp on bucket hitches are totally blocked by the bucket most of the time......

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
While possibly a good practical option for moving a trailer, Artillian pallet forks are about the furthest thing from 'inexpensive' of an option that could be had. I believe Everything Attachments and other brands make good pallet forks with a receiver hitch for much less.

Rob
My Titan forks have a receiver in the frame as well.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

Rob
I don't know about that. I can think of lots of more expensive ways to move a trailer around.. :munch:

That said, I agree if you are leaving your FEL on I would look for a way to put a 2" receiver on the FEL. Maybe that is on the bucket to keep costs down but if you are looking at adding forks anyhow, why not get one that has a 2" receiver built in. Once you use a hitch on the front of your tractor, you will never want to go back. It is so much easier to move them around, and push them into tight spots without throwing out your back trying to see where the trailer is behind you.

·
Premium Member
10,979 Posts
Maybe that is on the bucket to keep costs down but if you are looking at adding forks anyhow, why not get one that has a 2" receiver built in.
I've never seen it mentioned, do you need to remove the fork tines to use the built-in frame-mounted 2" receiver?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I've never seen it mentioned, do you need to remove the fork tines to use the built-in frame-mounted 2" receiver?
Yes, unless you are moving a gooseneck trailer.

Dave

·
Premium Member
10,979 Posts
Yes, unless you are moving a gooseneck trailer.

Dave
Good to know. That would rule that option OUT for me. Having to remove the heavy tines each time I wanted to use the receiver hitch is a big minus. I think we're back to having the receiver hitch on the bucket being the best option. That is what I have now. It takes 90-seconds to mount up.

E26R3947.jpg

E26R3952.jpg

E26R3959.jpg

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The simplest and cheapest way is to drill or torch a hole in the bucket to mount a ball. Or just weld a ball to the bucket.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Although I eventually built a trailer mover for the 3 point hitch, before that I just used a ball mount modified to pin on the bottom edge of the FEL bucket on the 1025R. All that was involved was drilling a hole just behind the bucket edge, cutting a slot in a hollow ball mount & adding a vertical hole.

The pin on bucket mount has worked fine for moving unloaded trailers around, as far as weight goes. I still use it on occasion when I need to maneuver a trailer into a tight area. I have used it for the single axle 6x12 box trailer, the little 4x8 ATV trailer, the tandem axle 18' car hauler & the tandem axle 5x10 dump trailer without any issues to date.

Nick
Hey! I'm stealing this idea! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts