Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at starting a chestnut orchard on 30 acres of land. It's been a cattle pasture for the last 50 some years and the chestnut folks say I need to have the property subsoiled to 3' before I plant the trees to help aid with root growth and allowing water to soak in deeper. I've got a JD 4010 which if memory serves pushes 18.5 hp. I was considering getting a County Line subsoiler that goes to 22"and doing it myself rather than paying someone to do it. I know a big tractor could do a better job a lot faster, but I would have to pay for it. Doing it myself would only cost me time and diesel. So do I have enough tractor to do this?

CountyLine Subsoiler at Tractor Supply Co.

·
Super Moderator
5,287 Posts
I have a County Line Subsoiler and have used it with my 2032R. I've sat there with wheels spinning several times. It digs deeper than you'd think and if you hit a good sized rock or tree root it will stop all forward motion cold.

You can always play with it though. I usually drop down a foot and hit the area with that and then go back a bit deeper on a 2nd pass. Be forewarned though, with that subsoiler mounted on my iMatch, it only clears the ground by an inch or two at full height. If you're driving around with that thing on and drop into any sort of rut it will dig in and leave a big scar in the ground behind you.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
If you need to subsoil to 36",,,
what possible good would sub-soiling to 22" accomplish?? :dunno:

That is pretty close to half,, and the hard pan layer is always in the lower part of the soil,,,

Freeze and roots break the hard pan in the upper area,,,

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've got a 36" subsoiler behind my 2038r. It will easily stop the tractor on hard dirt easily, any decent rocks or roots will stop it at any depth. It will require a ton of passes on your tractor, and may never be deep enough. I took it to my cousin's this week and his 4066r pulled it handily even is crazy hard pack. I think you need to pay someone, or rent a bigger tractor.

2017 2038r, 220r loader, 72" MMM, 66" EA Box blade, Woodmax FM-62 flail mower, Artillian forks, JD KBL 6' 1950s discs, subsoiler

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
I'm looking at starting a chestnut orchard on 30 acres of land. It's been a cattle pasture for the last 50 some years and the chestnut folks say I need to have the property subsoiled to 3' before I plant the trees to help aid with root growth and allowing water to soak in deeper. I've got a JD 4010 which if memory serves pushes 18.5 hp. I was considering getting a County Line subsoiler that goes to 22"and doing it myself rather than paying someone to do it. I know a big tractor could do a better job a lot faster, but I would have to pay for it. Doing it myself would only cost me time and diesel. So do I have enough tractor to do this?

CountyLine Subsoiler at Tractor Supply Co.
Did you mean 4110? Because the 4010 has 80 PTO HP. :)

At least according to tractordata.com.

Reactions: jdforever

·
Premium Member
13,011 Posts

Check again, there are TWO 4010's listed on tractordata. A CUT and a big tractor. Just another one of those cases where JD chose to use the same model number for two tractors that have no similarities.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you need to subsoil to 36",,,
what possible good would sub-soiling to 22" accomplish?? :dunno:

That is pretty close to half,, and the hard pan layer is always in the lower part of the soil,,,

Freeze and roots break the hard pan in the upper area,,,
Ain't no freezing here

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How long would it take a big tractor? How big would it need to be. There hasn't been any trees on it for at least 50 years, but big rocks are likely.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,219 Posts

There was an 18 horsepower 4010 and an 88 horsepower 4010.

Edit: I should have kept reading before posting. jgayman beat me.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
That tractor (now that I have the right one! :) ) is essentially a 1025R, and a 1025R can pull that subsoiler. How deep it can pull it depends on soil conditions (rocks, etc.) and surface traction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts